Gibson Brands Forums

Morning Song

Buc McMaster

In keeping with the "warts and all" nature of live performance, here's a 7am-one-cup-of-coffee-one-take recording of a Dylan tune I'm working into the set list. On stage one does not get do-overs, can't turn the camera off and go again...........put it out there and it is what it is. I tried to steal the Hendrix intro but do the tune in an acoustic, Dylan style. Still figuring out the vocal phrasing and delivery.....so many ways to approach such things.

All Along the Watchtower

Well, one man's warts, another man's gold [biggrin]

I heard nothing wrong with that song. Very nice arrangements too, with the Jimi style intro.

I have to admit though, that I also prefer the recorded version of your Bird with lights. Sounds a little hard to my ears now, but could very well be the recording, I guess...

Lars

Thanks for listening! Sorry, Trans, but a first take at the crack of dawn is not a good time for me to really belt one out! [wink] And as I mentioned, I'm still playing around with the vocal delivery anyway......it'll come around by Sunday stage time.

Yes, I agree that the guitar does sound different with mediums than with lights........to be expected. And with these strings it can have a brash, clanging tone when struck in a particular way. At this point in the string experiment I'm thinking I like the change in tone, but more than that, I am really enjoying the feel and playability of mediums. I am quite heavy with my right hand on the fretboard and these strings stand up and fight back in a way that works for me. I do have a few sets of mediums from different makers that I will try out that may well sound different than the Masterbuilts on it now. But, now as always, my number one priority in an acoustic guitar is playability - how does it feel and respond to my input - and while tone is of course a consideration, it does take a backseat to this and unless it is just totally stinky I am more than willing to sacrifice some tone for feel.

‘Gotta admit, I tuned in to see what the hub bub was regarding any death-defying Bird stunts, esp. when mentioning Hendrix (note to self: “Little Wing” would be good to do).

A question for anyone: would any perceived clangyness of the medium gauge string set be made more apparent by going up the neck with the capo?

A question for Buc (EDIT- or anyone who's gotten away from YouTube): any particular reason you’ve gravitated over to Vimeo? I thought I’d heard some technical reasons but . . .

Thanks for listening! Sorry, Trans, but a first take at the crack of dawn is not a good time for me to really belt one out! [wink] And as I mentioned, I'm still playing around with the vocal delivery anyway......it'll come around by Sunday stage time.

Yes, I agree that the guitar does sound different with mediums than with lights........to be expected. And with these strings it can have a brash, clanging tone when struck in a particular way. At this point in the string experiment I'm thinking I like the change in tone, but more than that, I am really enjoying the feel and playability of mediums. I am quite heavy with my right hand on the fretboard and these strings stand up and fight back in a way that works for me. I do have a few sets of mediums from different makers that I will try out that may well sound different than the Masterbuilts on it now. But, now as always, my number one priority in an acoustic guitar is playability - how does it feel and respond to my input - and while tone is of course a consideration, it does take a backseat to this and unless it is just totally stinky I am more than willing to sacrifice some tone for feel.

Hey Buc! No apologies please! Am not here to bash your awesome recording. We all hear different from time to time. My ears are not as trained as the others here when listening to nuances, although I take constructive advice well and am a sport about it. Sometimes I think I hear what others miss or not hear? vice versa? all the same I guess.The mediums you used? Hmmm! again it sounded loud and true but trebly in a way maybe because its a medium or the way it was recorded/mic placement etc? Not sure how it should sound really since I have lights on my bird I'd have to strum hard to coax the limits without trashing it up. I've yet to rty a set of mediums. Keep up the great tunes going Buc! [thumbup]

Trans

I like it, Buc. Nice and steady performance. You have a very folksy, yet eclectic style that easily crosses the boundaries of different genres of music. Also like the way you just described the difference in string gauges. Aside from the tone, it really about the playability of the guitar with different strings and how those strings affect our technique.

BTW, I'm glad you switched your videos over to Vimeo. Much more consistent video and sound for me. I've been having lots of stops and starts with YouTube..........Keep the music alive.

I admire people who can learn and retain a large repertoire of songs. It's all I can do to remember my own.

Once I get to the part of a song I'm learning that has an interesting chord sequence I find myself just playing that over and over till it starts to germinate into something else and becomes the starting point for a new original song. It often means I never get around to learning the original song all the way through at all.

So kudos, for being able to learn AND perform all those.

I admire people who can learn and retain a large repertoire of songs.

You might well be surprised how often the memory fails! More than a few times my mind has gone completely blank in the middle of a tune, the lyric vanishing to who knows where. But just as often, at the last possible microsecond it reappears just in time to hit the microphone............a shocking experience.

Here's another 7am-first-take run at the tune with the Dove.......preparation for doing songs cold at the open mic. The Dove with lights does not have the power of the Hummingbird with .013s on it and doesn't stand up as well to my attack, but until the K&K is installed in the Hummingbird, this one will be the stage guitar and is certainly an adequate substitute. I am working on an arpeggiated strum during the verse to get better dynamics out of the repetitive four chords of this tune. Still struggling with vocal phrasing.........

All Along the Watchtower - Dove

Thank you folks for taking the time to listen. I appreciate your tolerance of my sharing of this journey! [smile]

Beautiful Buc! Well noted!..This forum is not just for people who has this and that but what it's all about when playing and singing comes into play, to be able to share what you can do and not do that makes this place a wonderful place to be. [thumbup]

Trans

You might well be surprised how often the memory fails! More than a few times my mind has gone completely blank in the middle of a tune, the lyric vanishing to who knows where. But just as often, at the last possible microsecond it reappears just in time to hit the microphone............a shocking experience.

Here's another 7am-first-take run at the tune with the Dove.......preparation for doing songs cold at the open mic. The Dove with lights does not have the power of the Hummingbird with .013s on it and doesn't stand up as well to my attack, but until the K&K is installed in the Hummingbird, this one will be the stage guitar and is certainly an adequate substitute. I am working on an arpeggiated strum during the verse to get better dynamics out of the repetitive four chords of this tune. Still struggling with vocal phrasing.........

All Along the Watchtower - Dove

Thank you folks for taking the time to listen. I appreciate your tolerance of my sharing of this journey! [smile]

Buc, this new version really is stunning! The picking style takes it to a whole new level. You need to record this with separate vocal/guitar mics for the full effect, but this is really, really a step up.

New version much better buc

Not that the first one was anything to be shy about , I just liked the newer one

I agree. A bit more variety and sparkle with the arpeggio treatment, which is needed when one is waiting for the Hendrix lead guitar licks that we all have in our head when thinking of this song.

Archived