Gibson Brands Forums

BEATER GUITARS

OldCowboy

Furthering the Beater guitar concept, I used to have a spare 'beater' car that was good for going to rough or dodgy places, but it rusted to bits sitting out on the front grass and I even had a note from a lovely neighbour asking me to move it as it was letting down the team and they were trying to sell their house but they didn't know I was in negotiations with a friend who wanted it for a 'donor' car for his similar car. Motor was unbreakable, and I should have kept it...

Even further along the concept, I am about to go to the bike shop to pick up my spare 'beater' bike from repairs and drop off my No 1 for a repairs next. The 'beater' bike has mudguards for rainy weather, various racks and baskets and a light, but like the beater guitars, well, not much fun to play....... [mellow]

I won't be taking the Martin Black Smoke beater guitar on the bike, but I may take the Hummingbird copy beater and leave it somewhere, like the beach or the train station. [rolleyes]

BluesKing777.

I have an older Ovation Applause that is my beater guitar. The top and neck are wood, but are coated in such a thick layer of polyester finish they may as well not be. Despite the shallow plastic bowl and heavy finish, it actually sounds pretty good - and has led me to question the belief in the ultimate superiority of top grade woods and thin nitro finishes. It was my first real guitar, and I love it - so I may be viewing it behind rose-colored glasses, but to me it sounds way better than a laminate top, plastic bowl guitar should.

This has been my beloved beater since '62.

New case (modified Gator LP case), fret job (could had bought 3 of these guitars for less), clip on pickups have been on and off as needed.

Went around the world with my brother when he was in the Air Force.

The one I would grab along with Ozzy (the Wheaten next to the case) if I had to run out the door.

First guitar my Mom bought me, so I keep it in playing condition and as original as I can. I once put a new neck on it, but it just didn't feel right so I had the original leveled and re-fretted. Glad I did. (Anyone need a bolt on LP neck with a Kay decal?)

It does not get passed around. It's such a cheap guitar, I fear it would not get any respect. I have a Fender and Taylor for that.

IMG_0231_zps975659b8.jpg

This has been my beloved beater since '62.

New case (modified Gator LP case), fret job (could had bought 3 of these guitars for less), clip on pickups have been on and off as needed.

Went around the world with my brother when he was in the Air Force.

The one I would grab along with Ozzy (the Wheaten next to the case) if I had to run out the door.

First guitar my Mom bought me, so I keep it in playing condition and as original as I can. I once put a new neck on it, but it just didn't feel right so I had the original leveled and re-fretted. Glad I did. (Anyone need a bolt on LP neck with a Kay decal?)

It does not get passed around. It's such a cheap guitar, I fear it would not get any respect. I have a Fender and Taylor for that.

IMG_0231_zps975659b8.jpg

Very cool! I have an old Regal with a similar back story, but cherish it too much to relegate it to the beater category.

I hate to use the term beater, but my Halcyon mahogany parlor guitar has definitely become my take-everywhere guitar! Somehow I'm ok with playing that one out in the elements regardless of the circumstance. The perfect travel / hiking / sofa axe for me.

mine would be a 1978 Alvarez Yari, that I've had since 89, when it popped up at the local store where I had been doing bizz and my son taking drum lessons. Those were not cheap back in the day. A fine example of Yari's back when they were hand made in Japan. I will take it places tho my J200 Standard and Taylor GS will not go.. so I guess that is really would be the beater in my collection. Lots of sentimental value however, been in my possession for a long time now.

I'd post a photo but I don't want deal with the photos right now in the wake of the photobucket bomb shell.

Seems just about every year I get the very sudden itch to buy a smallish or cheaper travel guitar for bringing on vacation (we always do a house on the beach, usually followed by a trip to the lake). A lot of good memories chilling & playing in the AM while everyone else is out jogging.

I realize I usually end up getting this bright idea just a few days before heading out.

I also realize I never ended up keeping them.

1st time was an OM-1. Then a Standard Strat. Then a Gibson 50's Studio.

Next went looking for a Taylor Mini - got a oo-15M instead.

This year, I went thinking +/- oo-15M again, ended up with a beautiful new LG-2.

Not a beater, but certainly a keeper!

Seems just about every year I get the very sudden itch to buy a smallish or cheaper travel guitar for bringing on vacation (we always do a house on the beach, usually followed by a trip to the lake). A lot of good memories chilling & playing in the AM while everyone else is out jogging.

I realize I usually end up getting this bright idea just a few days before heading out.

I also realize I never ended up keeping them.

1st time was an OM-1. Then a Standard Strat. Then a Gibson 50's Studio.

Next went looking for a Taylor Mini - got a oo-15M instead.

This year, I went thinking +/- oo-15M again, ended up with a beautiful new LG-2.

Not a beater, but certainly a keeper!

And this is why we have GAS...

I got myself a Wife Beater Tee-shirt once.

She hid it where she thought I'd never find it.

Where the sun doesn't shine.

Same with guitars. If I ever have occasion to beat one, my wife will hide it from me.

Those first three lines sound like the beginning of a great song.

Old Cowboy replied to gfa :

snapback.pnggfa, on 06 July 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Those first three lines sound like the beginning of a great song.

<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px;">A really great song!

Any takers on suggesting a fourth line ?!

Where the sun doesn't shine...

? ? ? ?

Where the sun doesn't shine...

I stand on the hill, not for a thrill,

but for the breath of a fresh kill.

Never mind the man who contemplates doin' away with license plates.

He stands alone, anyhow,

bakin' the cookies of discontent by the heat of the laundromat vent.

Leavin' his soul!...

Leavin' his soul!

And partin' the waters of the medulla oblongata of - -brrrrrr! - -mankind!

Archived