Gibson Brands Forums

Low B

Californiaman

So I've put away my guitars and am going to focus on playing my 5-string Alembic bass for the next six months.

I'm taking this axe to the woodshed with me and not coming out until I'm more than comfortable with my playing abilities.

I've owned this bass guitar since 1988. I've been playing bass since I was probably 17-years old.

When I lived in Boise, ID, I had John Bolin give my bass a fret job, a good cleaning and a new set of strings. There had been considerable shrinkage of the neck and it certainly needed some TLC.

Well, since setting up the man cave here in Cali, I've really been playing it more and more. So...

are there any low-B songs that come to mind that I might take a stab at?

Just wondering.

mOASN9K.jpg

OOoO41tm.jpg

Sorry Cal, I can be no help whatsoever. Never played bass, except for picking up my bass player's once or twice and fooling around for 5 minutes each time.

I intentionally stay away as the one thing I really hate is a lead guitar player who thinks he can play bass and goes crazy all over the neck and never stays in the pocket. [cursing]

I wish I could help you with specific songs, but I can't. I play both guitar and bass, but only 4 string bass so far. I bought a 7 string guitar a couple of years ago so I have some experience navigating my way around a low B string. My next purchase will most likely be either a 5 or 6 string bass. I'm looking forward to it.

Besides metal, I have talked to 5 string bassists who stated they switched to a 5 string for Country and Gospel music, which both have quite a few songs in the key of B. I just can't provide any specific songs. Sorry.

That's a nice bass.

Our bass player has a Warwick 5-string.

Much loved and used by jazz/fusion players such as Anthony Jackson, Melvin Davis, Lincoln Goines.

There must be a Rush number with 5-string on....?

In my day we had 4 strings on a bass and we did just fine. Goddamm kids and their goddamm "more is better".

rct

Seems like there's a lot of bands, particularly metal bands, tuning down to D, C, even B. I tried it in order to learn a Five Finger Death Punch song for my youngest son, just to prove I could play it. Strings were flopping like a 70 year old woman not wearing a bra.

Ummm...can you play the bass line from the intro to 'Smoke On The Water'. It kicks in right after the drums show up. That riff gives me goose bumps.

Pretty low, isn't it?

Indeed. Context though. That entire band contributed to that thunder, each in their own way. Blackmore super mid bass zero trebs staying off his low E as much as possible to stay out of the way of Bass, Mr Keys with all the high pipes trebbing the crap outta the organ but keeping the left end thunder next to the bass, drummer with that doomsday thud. Man, WHAT a sound. Made In Japan, best record ever.

rct

Thanks Surfpup, that was a great little video.

RCT, Karlof, I agree with you guys Made in Japan is a phenomenal album.

When I first started playing my 5-string back in the late 80s, I did use the low B quite a bit, then, out of the blue one day I changed my strings and tuned the base to standard guitar E to B. This was cool and I rocked it that way for many years until I had it set up this summer when I changed it back to low B.

Anyway, I'm serious about the woodshed. I'll still be playing the guitar, but the majority of my time for the next six months will be spent getting reacquainted with my Alembic bass tuned to low B.

Archived