Gibson Brands Forums

Opals!

Digger

Apparently Australia supplies 80% of the gemstone quality opals. I think they are the nicest gemstone in the world, each one individual from the other.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=opal+pics&client=safari&rls=en&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQxKza3-nYAhVES7wKHc8pBpcQsAQIKA&biw=1706&bih=934

I’ve bought 3 opal rings for Gael over the years as she likes them too.

I like the more subtle milky colours, do you see one you like?

I kinda like those Fire Opals Rob.

Some of them really look like they are on fire! [biggrin]

The problem is that they all look nice I reckon Brad but I like less obvious things. I think Fire Opal is less common that some of the other colours, probably worth more too.

We have 4 main places they are found, Coober Pedy and Andamooka in South Australia, White Cliffs & Lightning Ridge in northern NSW.

Even some old fence posts have been found opalised so it can be a quick transformation.

Solid opal is expensive stuff though.

As stones go, I am a big fan of opals.

I bought my first wife an opal ring that was really gorgeous. This was decades ago.

My 2nd wife is a bigger fan of jade, but she's kind of an aging hippy chick.

All that said, this is the opal that I like the best.

:)

lavender_opal_bokeh_pink_blue_gemstone_purple_pearl_celluloid_guitar_pick-rbfb37de0aec44040ae1ee3636d39ef59_zxsop_324.jpg?rlvnet=1

As stones go, I am a big fan of opals.

I bought my first wife an opal ring that was really gorgeous. This was decades ago.

My 2nd wife is a bigger fan of jade, but she's kind of an aging hippy chick.

All that said, this is the opal that I like the best.

:)

lavender_opal_bokeh_pink_blue_gemstone_purple_pearl_celluloid_guitar_pick-rbfb37de0aec44040ae1ee3636d39ef59_zxsop_324.jpg?rlvnet=1

Gorgeous!

Incidentally I like jade a lot too! We bought some as jewellery a couple of times in Cowell S.Aust when we were there catching Blue Swimmer crabs. Cowell is Australia's only source of Jade and includes rare black jade.

Didn't know they came in so many colors. I bought Deb a set of them way way back. Ring and earrings. I like the blue stone way down although my birthstone is a Diamond. No one has ever offered to get me my birthstone in a mans ring?msp_confused.gifive had lots of people ask me what my stone is, Hmmm? msp_confused.gif

Archived