Gibson Brands Forums

Lee Anderton interview

Rabs

good post.

with 40 million in online sales, and another 8 million in store sales, it's a safe thing to say his competitors are wondering why they didn't think of doing what seems only now to be so obvious.

he's made some very interesting comparo vids, and has had some cool guests on his channel as well.he's definitely doin it right.

Yup. I enjoyed it too.

Interesting to hear that their on-line sales hasn't negatively affected in-store sales; quite the opposite. I'm guessing their on-line presence has simply raised their own 'bricks-and-mortar' shop profile so more folks - and I'm one of their number - have now heard of them whereas we'd never heard of them before. Their particular style of vid-clip-demo idea has turned out to be a very good marketing strategy!

Pip.

Yes, I watch a lot of their videos also.

Lee comes across as a likable fellow and I'm pretty sure he is. I also prefer his guitar playing to all the others who demo for Andertons (including Chappers).

I have visited the shop a couple of times and its where I bought my 339. It's not my favourite music shop, nor even my 2nd or 3rd favourite, but no-one else does video so well.

Thanks for posting the link. Enjoyed it.

...I also prefer his guitar playing to all the others who demo for Andertons (including Chappers)...

I like Rob as a character and his playing is very skilled but he almost always uses far too much gain and his 'normal' style is a bit too OTT for my taste. I prefer Lee's more considered approach.

There WAS one other guy they have used - although I've only seen him featured in one clip - who was (IMO) a FAR more enjoyable and tasteful player. Perhaps he was one of the players who was singled out for the trolling which was mentioned in the interview and gave up?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

I like Rob as a character and his playing is very skilled but he almost always uses far too much gain and his 'normal' style is a bit too OTT for my taste. I prefer Lee's more considered approach...

Pip.

Yeah, Rob is colorful, and a very good player, but not my style at all

...Pete and Mick are pretty easy to listen to as well...

Thanks for posting that clip, Black Dog. Pete is the guy I was thinking of when I wrote my post earlier.

And yes, I could listen to that kind of stuff very happily. Enjoyable, tasteful and effortless playing.

Pip.

Pete is the guy I was thinking of when I wrote my post earlier.

I had a feeling it was either Pete or Mick. It's kinda cool when you start watching a video of an amp review and end up being inspired, or just sit back and enjoy their playing. Therein lies the success of this marketing model. msp_thumbup.gif

Yeah, Rob is colorful, and a very good player, but not my style at all

That's 3 of us (with Pippy). Yes Rob the guitarist is very knowledgeable and has incredible technique. I am impressed by his playing but not so often moved by it. Many video bloggers are all ego, but Rob's very natural & likeable.

I think most people are entertained by the banter between Rob & Lee.

Just to play Devil's Advocate I'd like to post this clip.

It highlights quite a few of my favourite soap-box-operas and Rob does a sterling, understated, job in introducing us to the CC in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivwFVqyTTsg

Pip.

And thank you, Pippy, for posting that! I agree with your assessment. Rob is obviously a very talented player and seems to play whatever he wants with ease. I've even seen him get into some country/blue grass stuff. But he does seem to favor the more high gain metal genre. After all, someone has to appeal to that segment of the market, which is no doubt substantial. I do not think they should fire him. msp_smile.gif

Just to play Devil's Advocate I'd like to post this clip.

It highlights quite a few of my favourite soap-box-operas and Rob does a sterling, understated, job in introducing us to the CC in question.

Pip.

Did you ever see the lessons with Pete? He tries to teach Lee some new things..

pt1

pt2

No, Rabs, I haven't seen those before.

I watched the first few minutes and it looks like it will be informative but I'll have to try to find 50 minutes free to watch the whole thing properly.

Thanks for the head's-up.

Pip.

Archived