Gibson Brands Forums

Can Ya recommend a valve Practice Amp?

Mr. Robot

I have a Fender Hot Rrod Deluxe amplifier. It is too big to lug around for occassional events, like family and small jams.

Can anyone recommend a small valve practice amp that can also handle small gigs?

It is the tone I need. I have a small fender practice amp and it is rubbish.

Thanks

Check out the blackstar HT-5, or a few of the smaller blackheart amps.

Valve tones at a miniature scale #-o

or, if you want the extreme end of the spectrum there's always the zvex nanovalve i think that's what its called.

I have a Fender Hot Rrod Deluxe amplifier. It is too big to lug around for occassional events' date=' like family and small jams.

Can anyone recommend a small valve practice amp that can also handle small gigs?

Thanks[/quote']

This would be perfect...

Egnator2.jpg

Even comes with a gig bag and sounds great.... You can use it a home, pratice or for small gigs...

Egnator1.jpg

Mesa Express 5:25. A few hundred dollars more than the Egnater or the Orange previously mentioned, but with two independent channels, four modes (clean, blues, etc), a 5 watt option and a 25 watt option, and a good reverb. Additionally it is of superb quality and sounds great. I set mine to use the clean and blues modes, and then just switch between them. I never need to touch a dial or a switch anymore on that amp, except to turn it on and off.

I looked at the Egnater pretty seriously, but it doesn't have reverb and only has one channel. It also is quite ugly and cheap looking with ostentatious branding and I can't imagine having something like that in my house.

The two serious contenders for me were the Fender Blues Junior, the Fender Blues Junior with the enhanced speaker option that costs extra, and the Mesa 5:25. I think those are the best of the amps available for this purpose.

I have a Fender Hot Rrod Deluxe amplifier. It is too big to lug around for occassional events' date=' like family and small jams.

Thanks[/quote']

What kind of sounds are you looking to get? Similar to the HR Deluxe?

Whatever you're looking for, I don't think you're going to find an amp that's low enough in power for practice at home yet powerful enough to handle small gigs (assuming with a drummer) AND is easier to carry around than your HR Deluxe (45 lbs.). If I were you, I'd look for a good, low wattage amp that good for practice and just bring your HRD for any gig; it's 40w, has a master volume and 45 lbs. is pretty reasonable for a 1x12 combo amp with that amount of power. There's the Blues Junior but I find it too loud for an apartment and you're saving yourself only 15 lbs. of weight.

A 45lb amp is a small practice amp to me. Hell my B52 weighs 85lbs =P~

The Vox valvetronics amps get some great tones, but IMO aren't very useful if you have to switch settings on the fly. When I use it, I find a good setting (like the AC30) and leave it there, using my guitar volume to make it clean or crunchy.

I take it you want a combo amp so you don't have to lug both a head and a speaker cab.

I avoid combo amps because of the weight issue or, at least, for anything where I need some power. I'd rather carry two pieces that are lighter separately than one heavy one. If the amp I use with my band were a combo, it'd probably be around 100 lbs. but, with a separate head and 2x12 cab, it's very manageable even it takes up more room in the trunk of my car.

You guys are terrific. Thanks a lot for all your very helpful advice.

I am interested that no-one has suggested the Gibson GA5 Les Paul Jr amp. Any comments on this little baby? I dont know anything about it' date=' just saw it in a brochure.[/quote']

Well, the GA5 is only 5 watts. I have an old Fender Champ that is around the same power rating and, while it's even just a touch too loud for an apartment if you want to crank it, it would never hold it's own with a band which was one of your requirements.

I really believe that what you want/need is a low powered amp, like the GA5 or Champ, to use at home and that you're just going to have to suck it up and haul around your HR Deluxe for gigs. At least, if it were me, that's what I would do but I have a third option - 15w Blues Junior (not my favorite tone, but it works well).

Home - 5 watt Fender Champ with a pedal for dirt

Band - 100 watt (Sick, ain't it? Nothing sounds bigger than big iron...) Mesa Stiletto with 2x12 cab

Other - 15 watt Fender Blues Junior

Thanks[/quote']

Not sure what sort of music you play but I gather you're not a metalhead.

This being the case, I would suggest in order:

. 5E3 (12W) - this is a copy of the 1959 Tweed Deluxe

. Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (22W) (or the real thing or an early silverface if you can find one)

. Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue (15W) (or the real thing or an early silverface if you can find one)

I have a Ceriatone-built 5E3 in a Weber cab with a Weber 12A125 and nice tubes from Eurotubes. The tweeds have a rawer tone than the BFs/SFs and no reverb. Great sound and very portable. You can also buy 5E3 kits, in parts or made up, from numerous other suppliers too.

The DR just seems to cover a lot of ground. You can use it for smaller events and you can play out with it. You might even find that you can get rid of the HRDlx. If you buy an RI, be prepared to change the tubes and have it rebiassed. For originals, usual comments apply.

The Princeton is a standard for your kind of requirement - but I have not owned one. I had an option on a '68 but it was only a bit smaller than the Deluxe and advice was that if you have a Deluxe, you don't need a Princeton.

RN

PS You might also want to A/B the HRDlx with a blackface or non-MV silverface Pro Reverb if one crosses your path.

Lately, there is also the Orange Tiny Terror and the VOX Night Train that will do the job and both have an AMAZING tone.

Orange Tiny Terror:

Orange%20PPC112%20Tiny%20Terror%20set2.jpg

Vox Night Train:

vox_nighttrain.jpg

Marshall 2061x:

tn1_4113346.jpg

But that's for people who like to ROCK, as they might or might not give you the sweet clean tones at low volumes. But of course it depends very much on wich cabinet you'll be using with them.

And you can always talk to a handmaker and get yourself something juicy =)

Snapshot2009-01-1508-34-06.jpg

Gibson GA-5 Goldtone Les Paul Jr. Amplifier

Or you can go with the Blues Jr.[/quote

Californiaman - thanks. I tend to agree. You started all this by teasing me with photos of your beautiful GA5 a few weeks ago. I am obsessed with the bloody thing now - it is so retro and perfect for what I want' date= but I can not find one in Australia. ](*,) - even old stock. (I know Gibson have stopped making them a few years ago).

I looked at the Fender Champ 600 yesterday but I dont think it is comparable. For starters it only has a 6 inch speaker and chinese tubes. I dont think it can handle the bass tones on my 175, which as you know will test any amp.

Archived