Gibson Brands Forums

My First Gibson

Cougar

I've had a number of Epiphones, but I just got off reverb my first Gibson. I'm looking forward to its delivery next week. It's a 2015 custom shop, factory-stained-red, flamed maple J-45, purported to be in mint condition. I did some research, but I didn't learn a lot more than these are custom shop J-45s -- apparently only 65 of them were made. With a bevy of Guild super jumbos, I can't wait to get my hands on this short-scale slope shoulder and do some thumpin'.

The rosewood fingerboard and bridge are awfully light. I might look into darkening those a bit....

ngsv9bx2sgmzogty4boq.jpg

Nice looking!

Oil the fretboard and bridge and that should do it. You can even use 3-in-1 for this though a thin oil is better.

If they've never been oiled (looks like not) they'll soak it up in about 40 mins.

I'd love a Gibson acoustic. [thumbup]

Edited by jdgm

I think you'll find it is your 'go to' in a short while. Mine is the first one I grab - it's sort of The Swiss Army Knife of acoustics.

Not to disagree with the 3 in 1, but I'd steer clear of putting oil on the bare wood that's designed for metal.

Lemon Oil is popular = but it has no 'lemons' in it - only petroleum type alkanes. Lubricating and fuel oil.

Mineral Oil and Baby oil are also petroleum based.

I use Coconut Oil. It's made from coconut but is high in saturated fats. Does not spoil.

I'm fixing to experiment with beeswax on some bare wood, not attached to a $3K instrument.

Just don't use Insect Repellent ! G'Luck.

I've had a number of Epiphones, but I just got off reverb my first Gibson. I'm looking forward to its delivery next week. It's a 2015 custom shop, factory-stained-red, flamed maple J-45, purported to be in mint condition. I did some research, but I didn't learn a lot more than these are custom shop J-45s -- apparently only 65 of them were made. With a bevy of Guild super jumbos, I can't wait to get my hands on this short-scale slope shoulder and do some thumpin'.

The rosewood fingerboard and bridge are awfully light. I might look into darkening those a bit....

ngsv9bx2sgmzogty4boq.jpg

The contrast looks cool.

Congrats

Many congrats on a fine and rare catch. I really do like the individuality of that! I also agree with you as to the relative lightness of the 'board and bridge. If it's of any interest our old mate Donny used leather dye to darken a similar-looking 'board of one of his LPs and the end result was superb.

Looking forward to the tone-report!

Pip.

Outstanding and congrats!

Maple should really sound unique and fabulous. I played an AJ that was Maple once and absolutely loved it. I have never played a J-45 that I didn't love, especially the necks, I think they are perfect.

I also agree with you as to the relative lightness of the 'board and bridge. If it's of any interest our old mate Donny used leather dye to darken a similar-looking 'board of one of his LPs and the end result was superb.

I'll see what a rubdown with lemon oil will do. I tried staining a fretboard on a $90 guitar. Worked a little, but not that well. I didn't roughen up the board enough. I'll take this one to my guitar guy if I want to get serious on it.

Two more days!