Gibson Brands Forums

Cat's In The Cradle

drathbun

I thought this was a challenging fingerstyle acoustic piece until I tried to sing it and play it at the same time. The vocal is much more difficult than the guitar part. If you miss a word or a breath you are SOL in this song!

It is also a challenge in getting your fingers into that cramped space on the fretboard. This is the highest capo position (fret 8) of any song I play.

The SJ200 is recorded with a Rode NT1A condenser (left channel) and the iRig Acoustic Stage pickup (right channel). The vocal is recorded with the NT1A.

The video is recorded on my iPhone 7 Plus (front camera).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWk5YHp3G3M&feature=youtu.be

Great stuff Doug! How do you get all the different camera angles, are you using multiple camera's when doing your recording. Also, what are you using for editing (video and audio SW). Winter months are coming....

Thanks, Billroy!

I just moved my iPhone into different positions and played over my recording. No Multicam setups here!

I did the video editing with a program called VideoPad by NCH Software. NCH has a terrific range of software from video editing and capture (screen casters) to audio editing, recording and conversion tools, to image editors.

I am a 15-year veteran Cakewalk (Sonar) user until last year when Gibson bought it and threw it in the trash. I switched to Presonus Studio One v3 and like it very much. Even though Cakewalk has now come back and is free, I'm sticking with Presonus.

Very nice cover Doug and very professional set up too! :)

Very nice, yet again. The guitar work is, again, way up there on the impressive scale. [thumbup]

Thanks, Pinoy and PB! It is so much fun piecing these things together. My wife comes down to my studio at 3 am to make sure I haven't passed away in front of the computer! ;)

Maybe you'll like this version instead ZW? ;)

I guess I can break it to you. Back in the day we used to pick one song to play where we would just butcher the lyrics. Wasn't too hard as we often did not know all of the lyrics anyway. I only recall three songs getting the call more than once - Lightfoot's "Edmund Fitzgerald," Donovan's "Atlantis" and you guessed it, Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle."

I guess I can break it to you. Back in the day we used to pick one song to play where we would just butcher the lyrics. Wasn't too hard as we often did not know all of the lyrics anyway. I only recall three songs getting the call more than once - Lightfoot's "Edmund Fitzgerald," Donovan's "Atlantis" and you guessed it, Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle."

[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Archived