Gibson Brands Forums

grovers are imports- silent conspiracy !

jvi

many places in the USA have good stuff as well, next to Canada the USA is my favorite place, I shrimped the gulf in the 70s, shopped at Rockin Robin in Houstin about the same time, grooved in LA with great people everywhere I went...and was glad to come home.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything you can get your hands on. If you enjoyed Tea, Teaser & the Firecat would be an obvious choice, though.

Mona Bone Jakon, Catch Bull At Four and Buddha & The Chocolate Box are all great steps on from Tea & Teaser. Foreigner is very good too, but relatively wild compared to the classics. After Buddha there isn’t much that I’m into, although the comeback records of the last decade are all very mature, pretty albums. Not in the same league as the classics but an enjoyable listen nonetheless.

Mona Bone Jakon, Catch Bull At Four and Buddha & The Chocolate Box are all great steps on from Tea & Teaser. Foreigner is very good too, but relatively wild compared to the classics. After Buddha there isn’t much that I’m into, although the comeback records of the last decade are all very mature, pretty albums. Not in the same league as the classics but an enjoyable listen nonetheless.

awesome contribution...

perhaps we should stand together and petition Gibson to find or make tuners in the same country as the guitar...still my opinion -Im wishing all a happy and safe thanksgiving, Jim

I'm going to hate myself for replying to this, but jeez. Are you writing these posts as some sort of performance art? Here's a company in bankruptcy, with a new management team that is required by law to perform certain fiduciary tasks in order to maintain the protection from creditors that a court has granted it, and you expect them to 1) pay attention to a petition demanding the company alter its supply chain for part of its product line and 2) make a decision that may not be in the best interests of the company's bottom line. Seriously?

Why stop with tuners? Plenty of other parts are made abroad. My J-35 guitar carries a sticker saying it is made in the U.S., and the Gotoh tuners that came on it (which I switched out) carried no such stamp, so I didn't assume they were made in America.

Tuners are like the tires on your car. If you don't like them, you are free to change them to something you do like. If you're that worried about it, it seems like an issue YOU would have researched before you bought the guitar.

I hate myself already and haven't even hit "Add Reply" yet....

I would prefer my tuners to be made in the USA or one of the European countries but as long as they work I'll live.

In order to be legally sold as Made In (whatever country), 51% of the cost of the product has to come from that particular country.

You can buy some super expensive Italian forks for your motorcycle, for example, but the guts can be from anywhere as long as the most expensive part(s) come from Italy.

51% of the cost is from the Italian tubes and stanchions, guts are from China, Made In Italy sticker goes on.

You really can not say with absolute certainty where anything is made anymore unless you're privy to company secrets.

I have one question for

jvi. Do you own a real Gibson Guitar????

I recall your post of not wanting to pay 2 to 3 thousand dollars for a Gibson because it has imported tuners ! It sounds if you don't. Then please quit "Bashing" Gibson. Take your toys and find someplace else to "Play"!

Ive bought new gibsons for over 30 years and played whatever I could lay my hands on scince the mid 60s, and developed preferences I stand by and who are you?

Archived