Gibson Brands Forums

When did the custom shop start?

LarryUK

There are two answers (at least!) to this question.

A Custom Shop service has (pretty much) always been one of Gibson's offerings. Famous and/or wealthy players have been able to request special one-off versions since at least the 1920's.

AFAIK the present Custom Shop evolved from Gibson's Historic Division which was - without a doubt - set up in 1993. This is why attempts to make recreations of the '59 'burst earlier than '93 are, nowadays, referred to as 'Pre-Historics' - as in before the official 'Historic Collection' project was up and running. These earliest Historic Division reissues had a waterslide placed on the rear of the peghead / neck-join area but this practice was abolished after a few years to make the rear aspect of the reissues more historically correct / attractive to prospective buyers.

Here's a snap of the waterslide on my 1993 R9 (according to the serial number it is the 131st official '59 reissue made);

Historic-Collectionlogo.jpg

With regard to the Les Pauls IMX the earlier pre-Historic Division attempts were, undeniably, fine instruments but I much prefer the later post '93 instruments. YMMV.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

There was always a "Custom Shop". You called or wrote, threw down a lot of money, got what you wanted.

Then came "Custom Shop", which was a way for the proletariat to argue over which was best.

Seriously, how many times can the company that made 1959 Les Pauls make 1959 Les Pauls that are more accurate than last years?

So there it is, 93, 95, somewhere in there was a "Custom Shop" for the rest of us.

rc

I ask because I've seen an mint 89 Les Paul for sale. It has thin neck binding etc so looks like an old one. I hesitated over it and now someone else is seeing it before me. So I may not get it.

I've been after a donor Les Paul as I want a red top with a natural back. Preferably with P90's. But this has come along and is nice.

6KGJ1j4.jpg

• 4 years later...

I am a couple of years late, but still comment 🙂

The first time I seen a "Custom Shop" sticker on A Gibson was in 1982, on a fabulous pair of FF82 Flying V/Explorers that were made for the German and Swiss market only. FF82 stands for Francfort (Music Fair) 1982. The first appearance of the Custom Shop was in the 1983 Gibson catalogue on page 26.

gibson83p26.jpg

Here's my 2 cents:  The "Gibson Custom Shop" is different than Gibson's "Custom Shop Edition", yet some folks unintentionally confuse the two. 

The "Gibson Custom Shop" refers to "made to order" Gibson guitars per customer specifications. (Obviously, Gibson has limitations as to what custom options they offer.) 

"Custom Shop Edition" Gibson guitars are a "class" of Gibson guitar models that are "enhanced" beyond each model's standard/basic version. CSE Gibson releases were offered far before the "Gibson Custom Shop" was ever available to the general public. CSE releases tend to be limited runs and tend to vary each year regarding which Gibson model(s) are made with the CSE option. CSE releases traditionally have 24K Gold plated hardware, an inlaid "pearl" Gibson logo on the headstock, (instead of an inked/stamped logo), and all have the "Custom Shop Edition" inked/stamped logo on the back of the headstock. CSE releases tend to utilize higher quality materials, (in addition to those mentioned above), in their construction than are used in the standard model releases from the same year, (like the Korina wood upgrade used in '83 CSE Explorers and V's, for example). Yet, these additional "upgrades" may vary per model and per year.  Each year's run of Custom Shop Editions have few, if any, color/finish options and traditionally no options are offered regarding hardware/electronics/pickups.  If Gibson decides to make CSE model offerings available, in any particular year, they will make what they make, and that's what you get to choose from. And yes, Custom Shop Edition Gibson's cost significantly more than their standard release brethren.  

GlmZKTF.jpg

4 hours ago, sparquelito said:

So if I want a fretless Gibson Les Paul with f holes and a Floyd Rose, you're saying it's going to be a bit expensive?

😗

I wouldn't say a bit. A lot is the correct term. Hell sig model guitar just to have someone's name on it cost $600 more. Look at the ML Bluebird Acoustic Guitar. Its for all intents and purposes its a Hummingbird that comes in blue, and has different birds on the P/G. That's it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I wouldn't say a bit. A lot is the correct term. Hell sig model guitar just to have someone's name on it cost $600 more. Look at the ML Bluebird Acoustic Guitar. Its for all intents and purposes its a Hummingbird that comes in blue, and has different birds on the P/G. That's it. 

And I want a maple fingerboard.

So there's that.
🫠

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LG King said:

To add to the original question...

when did Gibson start drilling 'weight relief holes' in their Les Paul bodies, and are all Custom Shop and Historics 'non-weight-relieved'...?

Honestly, I have never hear about that. Do you happen to own a LP with "weight relief holes" drilled into the body, and if so, what year is it, and are you sure this was done at the Gibson factory? I talked to a friend who has a '81 Custom Shop Edition LP, and he has never heard of this, (nor does his LP show signs of this process). My '83 CSE Korina Explorer, which is a very heavy guitar, doesn't either.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 2:04 PM, Sheepdog1969 said:

Honestly, I have never hear about that. Do you happen to own a LP with "weight relief holes" drilled into the body, and if so, what year is it, and are you sure this was done at the Gibson factory? I talked to a friend who has a '81 Custom Shop Edition LP, and he has never heard of this, (nor does his LP show signs of this process). My '83 CSE Korina Explorer, which is a very heavy guitar, doesn't either.

Sorry to hear…