Gibson Brands Forums

R.E.M. with Neil Young

Lars68

REM lost me at the Document album. It was the end of the band and I knew it.

You're hilarious

I'm the opposite , early stuff doesn't do much for me

My favourite is probably new adventures in hifi

Their best song is night swimming but automatic was kinda played to death

Geez, some of you guys are pretty harsh. I’ve never been much of an R.E.M. fan (and that’s putting it nicely), but I’d never say the pretty crappy things others have said. I mean, some of you post links to songs that apparently meant something to you or moved you in some way, and when I listen to it I think to myself, “this is total garbage”, but would never post that. Songs mean things to people for many different reasons, and just because you’re not s fan doesn’t automatically discredit its importance to the people who it holds value and meaning for.

I still think this particular version is crap because of the guitar sound. The Jools Holland version with he pedal a steel player is much, much better.

Edited by sbpark

Geez, some of you guys are pretty harsh. Ive never been much of an R.E.M. fan (and thats putting it nicely), but Id never say the pretty crappy things others have said. I mean, some of you post links to songs that apparently meant something to you or moved you in some way, and when I listen to it I think to myself, this is total garbage, but would never post that. Songs mean things to people for many different reasons, and just because youre not s fan doesnt automatically discredit its importance to the people who it holds value and meaning for.

I still think this particular version is crap because of the guitar sound. The Jools Holland version with he pedal a steel player is much, much better.

Valid points [smile] I think you might take things too seriously? It's always interesting if you post a link to a band or artist and then people say it's rubbish (or worse). I imagine it's happened to everyone on here at some point. I actually like the song Country Feedback that was the original post and I like a fair few R.E.M songs, but I posted that other video because I prefer Neil and it was from the same concert, so thought the OP might find it interesting. A lot of people I know don't like R.E.M or Neil, but that's ok and it doesn't bother me.

Edit, and going off topic slightly, but just out of interest how do you feel about Wes Montgomery? I was watching this last night and it's a tune I have loved for many years. I challenge you or someone else to say it's rubbish, but I guess someone out there will not appreciate his great playing [confused]

Edited by cody78

Never bought an R.E.M LP but I was never much for the artsy fartsy rock & roll. But I was managing a record store in 1989 and R.E.M.'s record company put me down for backstage pass at one of their shows. It did not change my impression any. I did, howvever, truly admire the guitar player's Ric electric mandolin.

I am not a huge REM fan, but I have my own 17-tracks of what I think are their best songs in my iTunes library, and that is all I listen to when it comes to them. "Man On The Moon" and "The Great Beyond" are amazing songs. I am totally okay with them being the RRHOF ... they were a huge band back in the day.

I'm an R.E.M. fan, but with a caveat - I like pretty much everything (except 'Shiny Happy People', which is godawful) pre the Monster lp when Peter Buck started playing a Les Paul. I loved the jangly tone on the Rick on those early garage-y sounding records. The LP just ruined their sound for me, and I did not like their take on glam rock on 'Monster'. Funny because I don't have anything against Les Pauls in general - huge Jimmy Page fan - but with this band it did not work imo.

Edited by countrybluespicker