Gibson Brands Forums

How good are Gibson acoustic guitars?

jeffy122

I have the opportunity to pick up a Gibson acoustic guitar for $250 by tomorrow, but I don't know if this is a good deal for an acoustic. I don't have a lot of acoustic experience, but I've heard not-so-good things about Gibson's lineup. Is this something I should be jumping all over, or would my $300 Yamaha do just as good?  the thing is, if its from the last decade, even if its a real gibson the quality is probably only worth 250 anyway. some of those guitars are way overpriced for how they sound and feel. if it plays nice maybe consider it, even a fake guitar can work really well for you if it was built to spec. would be good even as a backup or a guitar to keep in a different tuning.

With all due respect, this thread looks exactly the same as one that a spammer posted last winter. Just sayin'.... 😉

But if this actually is a serious question... what response would you expect from a Gibson forum? That Gibson guitars are lousy? They make great guitars IMO. $250 for any real Gibson (regardless of the decade) would be a great deal. I'd say it's too good to be true however.

1 hour ago, jeffy122 said:

I have the opportunity to pick up a Gibson acoustic guitar for $250 by tomorrow, but I don't know if this is a good deal for an acoustic. I don't have a lot of acoustic experience, but I've heard not-so-good things about Gibson's lineup. Is this something I should be jumping all over, or would my $300 Yamaha do just as good?  the thing is, if its from the last decade, even if its a real gibson the quality is probably only worth 250 anyway. some of those guitars are way overpriced for how they sound and feel. if it plays nice maybe consider it, even a fake guitar can work really well for you if it was built to spec. would be good even as a backup or a guitar to keep in a different tuning.

They is gooder than good my friend. Thanks for trolling.

There isn't an authentic USA Gibson acoustic on the planet that you're going to find 250 bucks from ANY decade.

the thing is, if its from the last decade, even if its a real gibson the quality is probably only worth 250 anyway. some of those guitars are way overpriced for how they sound and feel.

You obviously know nothing about Gibson instruments, so why would you pretend speak with authority on the quality of these guitars or what they are worth?

You're either trolling, or getting sucked into a counterfeit purchase.  which is about what a fake Gibson from china would be worth

if you want to engage in a serious discussion, you need to post photos of this guitar,  good clear photos, and  we'd be happy to help you know if it was a counterfeit.

Edited by kidblast

8 hours ago, jeffy122 said:

If the guitar is an actual Gibson and in good playing condition it would be worth a lot more than $250.  However, it is extremely unlikely someone would sell an authentic Gibson for $250.  Especially in the age we live in where everyone thinks every guitar is worth a ton of money.  If, however, it is an imported Epiphone made by the Gibson company it is probably worth in the range of about $250.  Some Epiphones have truss rod plates that say Gibson on them, but have Epiphone on the headstock.  They do not have Gibson on the headstock, only on the screwed on truss rod cover plate.  Gibson on the screwed on truss rod cover plate does not make the guitar a Gibson.  It only means Epiphones are part of the Gibson family as one of their brands.

Let us know what you find out about the guitar.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

11 hours ago, jeffy122 said:

if its from the last decade, even if its a real gibson the quality is probably only worth 250 anyway. some of those guitars are way overpriced for how they sound and feel. if it plays nice maybe consider it, even a fake guitar can work really well for you if it was built to spec. would be good even as a backup or a guitar to keep in a different tuning.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Enjoy your $250 fake Gibson.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:05 PM, jeffy122 said:

I have the opportunity to pick up a Gibson acoustic guitar for $250 by tomorrow, but I don't know if this is a good deal for an acoustic. I don't have a lot of acoustic experience, but I've heard not-so-good things about Gibson's lineup. Is this something I  https://scrabblewordfinder.vip/ https://www.applock.ooo/ https://www.7zip.vip/
should be jumping all over, or would my $300 Yamaha do just as good?  the thing is, if its from the last decade, even if its a real gibson the quality is probably only worth 250 anyway. some of those guitars are way overpriced for how they sound and feel. if it plays nice maybe consider it, even a fake guitar can work really well for you if it was built to spec. would be good even as a backup or a guitar to keep in a different tuning.

issue got solved!!

The guy is obviously a spammer. As I posted above, this is exactly the same as another spam post from last winter. Here's what he was up to....   Make a stupid first post that is basically copied/pasted from somewhere else, then sit back and wait for awhile. Then he came back, quoted his earlier post but edited it to insert a spam link. Look at the second post above, it contains a link to "scrabblewordfinder.vip". It would be a bad idea to click on that link (although it's probably just harmless spam). The purpose of this is to get links to a site spread around the internet on the hope that it will improve Google search results.

What's interesting is the number of forum members who fell for it. The next time I need to sell a bridge (and I'm not talking about the guitar type), I'm gonna advertise it here! 🤣 But, seriously guys, learn to be more skeptical and analytical about stuff that you see here and e-mails that you get.  Otherwise, one day you'll click on a link to a great deal on a Gibson guitar and end up paying ransom to get your computer back.

Edited by Boyd

BTW - here's the old thread from last winter. And if you just copy the first sentence of the guys first post and paste it into a Google search, you'll find that this scam was also used elsewhere.

Edited by Boyd

42 minutes ago, Boyd said:

The guy is obviously a spammer. As I posted above, this is exactly the same as another spam post from last winter. Here's what he was up to....   Make a stupid first post that is basically copied/pasted from somewhere else, then sit back and wait for awhile. Then he came back, quoted his earlier post but edited it to insert a spam link. Look at the second post above, it contains a link to "scrabblewordfinder.vip". It would be a bad idea to click on that link (although it's probably just harmless spam). The purpose of this is to get links to a site spread around the internet on the hope that it will improve Google search results.

What's interesting is the number of forum members who fell for it. The next time I need to sell a bridge (and I'm not talking about the guitar type), I'm gonna advertise it here! 🤣 But, seriously guys, learn to be more skeptical and analytical about stuff that you see here and e-mails that you get.  Otherwise, one day you'll click on a link to a great deal on a Gibson guitar and end up paying ransom to get your computer back.

Well, I wouldn’t say fell for it.  More like was suspicious but giving it the benefit of the doubt, intentionally responding only on a surface level, waiting to see where it would lead to, if anywhere, which obviously it didn’t.   

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff