Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendations

Navy Vet.

I love Telecasters, and I love Gibson’s. I want to buy a new guitar, leaning towards the SG’61 from the original collection. This may be just a silly phase I’m going through seeing I dig single coils more than ‘buckers.  I have my eye on the Pelham Blue SG Special with P90’s. I have a new Gibson, 2019 Les Jr, from the original collection, but he ain’t heavy, just my Les Jr. Many years ago I borrowed an SG and what I remember was how light it was compared to a 1966 Telecaster. It also had a very dark tone too. At 65 I really want a light guitar, and would prefer single coil over ‘buckers. But the ‘61 SG from the original collection has put a spell on me.  So should I buy a new guitar or take a band saw and cut a 1/4 inch of the back of my Les Jr.

Edited by Navy Vet.

Nothing wrong with SG's but if you're thinking something between a Fender & a Gibson you should check out some Gretsch's....  If you want Single Coils try the Dyna Sonic, De Armond or Hilo Tron Pickups..... Great compliment to your Gibson & your Fender....

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1)  You want P90 pickups

2) You want a guitar already built with them.  You're not Dr. Frankenstein.  Don't cut up guitars.  They become entirely unsellable and who knows, when you go, maybe the wife can get a buck out of it still if it's original and not cut up.  OR if it's not what you thought, you can return/flip it.  Not all transactions are forever if you choose the ones that don't say "as is" or "non-returnable".

3) You deserve the guitar you want.  IF in the end it's just a whim to buy b/c you're not happy about something, you can flip it down the road for the next part of your hobby.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well, I pulled the trigger on two guitars today. I had made a promise to a co-worker if I got rated 100% disabled by the VA I would buy him a Les Paul. I got him a 2019 Les Paul Studio Tangerine Burst and of course I bought a SG-Special in Brilliant Burgundy. I'll post pics when I pick them up.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations man, nice score!  You are also a good friend! 😉

The P-90 while a single coil, are there own creature, definitely not a humbucker though.   I think you will enjoy them.  🙂

Waiting for your pics.... 😎 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

Well, I pulled the trigger on two guitars today. I had made a promise to a co-worker if I got rated 100% disabled by the VA I would buy him a Les Paul. I got him a 2019 Les Paul Studio Tangerine Burst and of course I bought a SG-Special in Brilliant Burgundy. I'll post pics when I pick them up.

I think you will find the SG Special will compliment your Junior. You have got a great start on your collection. I am a P90 addict, leaving humbuckings behind about 20 years ago, I have no regrets, just lots of tone....

I'll bet my 56 LP Standard weighs more than your junior, the mass + fat rounded C profile neck = tons of sustain........ But so heavy..

sXbRUsb.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, arcticsg said:

Congratulations man, nice score!  You are also a good friend! 😉

The P-90 while a single coil, are there own creature, definitely not a humbucker though.   I think you will enjoy them.  🙂

Waiting for your pics.... 😎 

I will pick these up Saturday. 

20190917_100216.jpeg

20190917_100438.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Ok, I couldn’t wait until Saturday, braved the traffic from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham and picked up the guitars after work today. 

I get home and cable up and played a few riffs, try the settings and I decided I don’t like this guitar.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Its light well balanced and the P90’s are, well... Gibson P90’s. Man-O-man, life is good.

IMG_0106.jpg

Edited by Navy Vet.
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, deeman said:

Put on some damn clothes!

🙂

7 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Ha ha ha! 

Be thankful we don't see a nip!!

I'm in Hawaii we don't wear clothes here, its too f######g hot..

Very nice Navy Vet...

Ok, I couldn’t wait until Saturday, braved the traffic from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham and picked up the guitars after work today. 

I get home and cable up and played a few riffs, try the settings and I decided I don’t like this guitar.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Its light well balanced and the P90’s are, well... Gibson P90’s. Man-O-man, life is good.

IMG_0106.jpg

• Upvote 1