Gibson Brands Forums

Woodshedding

Buc McMaster

Wowsers!   That was impressive!   I never, ever would even attempt such a difficult piece. And you brought it off. With a slightly, small asterisk * ! 

Hope that you, your guitar, and your 'pipes'  are high and dry with the 10" of rain tropical storm  Imelda brought you. 

Last time - in Houston, you almost bought the farm.  Hope you're on higher ground in Galveston! 

Thanks for listening, folks.  It's certainly a work in progress and I'm really not sure I'll be able to add it to the list in the end.........that refrain is so freakin' high it's really hard to get there comfortably with any power and control.   It is a great tune from the golden era of rock and I will endeavor to persevere.  

Rebel Yell?  🤣  No way.......not this boy!

Awesome, simply awesome. I love how that turned out.

As far as the first clip is concerned — all I can say is that for every one of my recordings that I've shared here, I probably attempted to record at least a half dozen times and likely more before managing to capture a copy I could stomach sharing with others.  The irony is that they are my own tunes. You'd think that since I'm the one who created them that I could play them without error every single time. Sadly for me that is almost never the case. I love playing the guitar but proficient I am not.

Your original post reminds me of an experience many years ago when I visited a friend who lives in the Bay Area. Scouring the live music listings I noticed that there was a blues club not too far from where my buddy lived called JJ's and Joe Lewis Walker was going to be playing there. I wanted to get a good seat so I convince my buddy to get there plenty early. We arrived to find a sign taped to the door indicating that Joe Lewis Walker would not be playing that night. I was disappointed until I realized that instead they were going to have Junior Wells playing who I had seen a few times previously.

Waiting at the bar for beers I realized that the guy next to me  talking to me about whatever and ordering doubles was Junior Wells himself. He was already somewhat incoherent by that point in time so the conversation was fairly awkward. After sitting back down I told my friend that I wasn't sure how the performance was going to turn out. By the time he got up on stage to perform it was obvious that Junior definitely had consumed far too much. This place wasn't all that big but it did have this little runway off of the front of the stage where the performers could stroll down and back while singing/playing. Junior was using the runway during one of his tunes and about the time he was  right in front of us he forgot the words to his own song. He just stopped and started yelling obscenities at himself. My buddy and I noticed that the guy and his date sitting on the other side of the runway from us looked terrified . They ended up leaving after just a short period of time. The funny thing was that when it came to playing the harmonica Junior didn't miss a beat. Overall the performance was a bust and honestly more than a bit depressing. But his solos were amazing and I marveled at the fact that while he could still pull them off flawlessly.

Awesome, Buc!  I would need to tune down about two steps to get close to being able to do what Jack Bruce did here vocally. I can tell it's a stretch for you, but you pull it off.

Your guitar is perfect. I don't see how it would be possible to do a better acoustic version. I don't even miss the wah-wah.

It sounds like Ginger Baker is just about on his way out. That would leave Clapton as the sole survivor from Cream.