Gibson Brands Forums

J-200s in Springsteen's Western Stars Movie

Red 333

Springsteen's movie Western Stars features him and large band/orchestra in a live performance of all the tracks from his latest album (plus Rhinestone Cowboy). Each song is introduced with a short mediation that features beautiful western imagery. I saw it in a Dolby Atmos cinema, and the picture and sound was incredible. 

In the concert footage (recorded in the loft of his horse barn in front of an intimate audience of under twenty, I think), Bruce abandons those quacky Takamines he uses in stadiums in favor of some glorious J-200s with sound hole pick ups, which he uses on each track. One has a double pick guards, and one (my favorite) is either a pre-war version or reissue in a honey burst with block inlays and a flower pot on the head stock. His wife Patty also plays a Hummingbird throughout, and another guitarist plays what I think is an ES-175 with a rounded cutaway. 

I enjoyed the live versions of the tracks better than the already-released album versions, as the orchestral element seemed more pronounced and textured (though in fairness I've only listened to the CD in my girlfriend's car), and because of the expert way the various and impressive musicians were presented visually.  I believe the 30-piece band was Bruce, Patty, two electric guitarists, a pedal steel guitarist, a piano/accordion player, bass, drums, horns, strings (easily a dozen players), and a maybe six back-up singers. 

Anyway, I highly recommended it to Springsteen fans, especially if you can see it presented in Dolby Atmos,  or anyone who wants to geek out on some gorgeous Gibsons.

Red 333

Assuming the double pickguard J200 is the same he has used in the past,   it is an early 1960s model.  Springsteen recorded the Nebraska LP with a J200.  If I recall it was a  late-1950s model.  It was on loan alongw ith the 4-track recorder he used to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for a bit.  I will pass on the movie though.  

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, Holiday Hoser said:

I'll bet that fancy bracelet makes some mighty fine scratches. Maybe he and Jane Fonda can do a Trump hating duet together. 

pesky folk who want peace and clean air ..."IMAGINE"...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, Lars68 said:

If I’m being punched in the face, I hope I’m listening to Bruuuuuuuce. 

His music had helped me through some of life’s low points. Music can’t be more meaningful than that, but to each his own, I guess…

Lars

Yep. What has he done since Darkness that’s any good? And no The River blows chunks and Born In The USA is trash. Nebraska has 2 good songs on it. I can’t stand his voice. I have those, but I don’t know why. He can write a decent lyric, but you can pad his bank account and spend $500 to see him preach, I won’t. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yea Bruce is an acquired taste. When I was 16 (1979) my friend had an extra 3rd row seat to see him, I wasn't a fan at all. But 4.5 hours later (the length of his show) I was a fan. Man the guy sure put on a show. I have 2 of his albums, Born to Run, Tunnel of Love. I really like them both. I think Born to Run has some of the best lyrics of any album ever made.

3 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Yea Bruce is an acquired taste. When I was 16 (1979) my friend had an extra 3rd row seat to see him, I wasn't a fan at all. But 4.5 hours later (the length of his show) I was a fan. Man the guy sure put on a show. I have 2 of his albums, Born to Run, Tunnel of Love. I really like them both. I think Born to Run has some of the best lyrics of any album ever made.

I saw him on the B I T U S A Tour. He played 3 hours. He does give you your moneys worth if you like him, but you also have to listen to his politics. I’m a Zappa guy so I know about acquired taste.

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw him on the B I T U S A Tour. He played 3 hours. He does give you your moneys worth if you like him, but you also have to listen to his politics. I’m a Zappa guy so I know about acquired taste.

In 1979, when I saw him, politics from musicians and actors wasn't much of a thing, thankfully. Maybe that's why I have not seen him in 44 years! I'll go years before I listen to one of my 2 albums of his, but when I do, I enjoy them. I might have to check out this Zappa fella 😁

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

In 1979, when I saw him, politics from musicians and actors wasn't much of a thing, thankfully. Maybe that's why I have not seen him in 44 years! I'll go years before I listen to one of my 2 albums of his, but when I do, I enjoy them. I might have to check out this Zappa fella 😁

I wouldn't say Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce is and acquired taste. He just does Rock and Roll. Nothing really special about him, IMHO. He can write good lyrics. I remember reading about him ages ago (maybe around the time of The River) touting he was the savior of R & R. Give me a break.

I got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack

I went out for a ride and I never went back.

Deep Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce Deep.

Joe's Garage is great. Apostrophe is a fan favorite. One Size Fits All is a winner. Lots of fans love Sheik Yerbouti. Hot Rats is a winner all day long. One of the early ones I love is We're Only In It For The Money. If those do nothing for you, then don't waste your time with any more of his cataloge.

Once Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce became a puppet mouth piece for the libs, I never put on one of his albums ever again.

And I know what people will say, but Frank used to . . .

Frank took aim at any and everyone on his albums and at his concerts.  He was especially fond of mocking the French, and that one English Guitarist that had an album, and how did he get away with it, called  - I'm In You.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

40 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I wouldn't say Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce is and acquired taste. He just does Rock and Roll. Nothing really special about him, IMHO. He can write good lyrics. I remember reading about him ages ago (maybe around the time of The River) touting he was the savior of R & R. Give me a break.

Joe's Garage is great. Apostrophe is a fan favorite. One Size Fits All is a winner. Lots of fans love Sheik Yerbouti. Hot Rats is a winner all day long. One of the early ones I love is We're Only In It For The Money. If those do nothing for you, then don't waste your time with any more of his cataloge.

Once Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce became a puppet mouth piece for the libs, I never put on one of his albums ever again.

And I know what people will say, but Frank used to . . .

Frank took aim at any and everyone on his albums and at his concerts.  He was especially fond of mocking the French, and that one English Guitarist that had an album, and how did he get away with it, called  - I'm In You.

Haha....I'm sure a lot of thought went into the lyrics.....don't eat the yellow snow 😁

10 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Haha....I'm sure a lot of thought went into the lyrics.....don't eat the yellow snow 😁

Frank said he only puts lyric in music cause people want them. He would have just made instrumental music. Saw that in an interview I watched. At least Frank just didn't write about the average run of the mill stuff everyone else does. He does have few songs about dogs. 

I don't think Bruuuuuuuce would ever have ever written a song like Why Does It Hurt When I Pee or Jewish Princess. Every time I hear Wet T-shirt Nite, I just about pee my pants it's so funny. Frank always had some of the best musicians on the planet play with him. He did what he did for the music and wanted the best from who played with him.  If some one who really likes music and listens to Inca Roads and can't comprehended how good that is and how difficult the solo is, then move on and there is always Bon Jovi and Garth Brooks out there for you to tap your toes too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The greatest color is blue, and it's because I say so. If you don't see the true superiority of blue, and happen to find greatness, value, entertainment, comfort, or any virtue whatsoever, in other colors besides blue, hereby know that you are utterly and embarrassingly wrong.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

The greatest color is blue, and it's because I say so. If you don't see the true superiority of blue, and happen to find greatness, value, entertainment, comfort, or any virtue whatsoever, in other colors besides blue, hereby know that you are utterly and embarrassingly wrong.

Don't forget that when you first replied "well i guess people can like different colors" he felt the need to reply back to tell you just how wrong you are because green doesn't jive with his brand of politics

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

And I know what people will say, but Frank used to . . . I have been playing the guitar since childhood. Everything was passed down to me from my grandfather and from my father. I watched this film and read about it, used https://supremestudy.com/essay-examples/film/ for this. Excellent performance by the orchestra. I rewind a couple of times to rewatch the moment. Everything is done superbly.

😁

Edited by AvirJiffy

2 hours ago, Lars68 said:

I love blue, especially electric blue.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep. What has he done since Darkness that’s any good? And no The River blows chunks and Born In The USA is trash. Nebraska has 2 good songs on it. I can’t stand his voice. I have those, but I don’t know why. He can write a decent lyric, but you can pad his bank account and spend $500 to see him preach, I won’t. 

Who appointed you arbiter of all that is worthy?Have you considered a muzzle?

• Upvote 1