Gibson Brands Forums

maple ngd J-185 TV (Nat)

62burst

Wasn't interested in a toasted top, or a box with electronics. From a seller's shop in Tokyo. . . don't know how many 1st year '07 (unmarked, but with Cali case) '185 Natural-finished True Vintage models were not destined for export, but this one returned from whence it came (added a video clip of internal bracing):

8dL0elw.jpg

4aXuBMp.jpg

Edited by 62burst
add pic
  • Like 1

Nice, nice, nice.  That's my favorite Gibson model right there - mine is a 2012.

One interesting thing - the pickguard has a bit more of a J-45ish curve to it compared to the deep waist curve on most J-185s.

Guess that makes it a bit more special, along with it's gorgeous wood!

8 hours ago, bobouz said:

One interesting thing - the pickguard has a bit more of a J-45ish curve to it compared to the deep waist curve on most J-185s.

Lol. Guess I got "Gibsoned".  Again.

What was noticed was some very nice bracing inside, with some early taper down to the kerfing:

T4Ln7Js.jpg

thanks for checking in, all

Edited by 62burst

1 hour ago, Leonard McCoy said:

A gorgeous-looking guitar. Though I'm not a fan of the pickguard since it doesn't follow the curvature of the body.

Yes, Bobouz's observation (J-45/50 pickguard?) has me thinking if the guard should be removed and recontoured. Don't need protection for the top there. . . on the maple, I tend to play closer to the fretboard extension to fatten up the sound a bit.

Here's a better look at the vintage scallop work done on the TV's bracing (and a bridge plate that looks to have had the same set of strings since '07):

Edited by 62burst

Eh5PlEGA0NBaj5aVMi67SD38mYB0rT9XNWf0yDIT

11 hours ago, 62burst said:

Lol. Guess I got "Gibsoned".  Again.

What was noticed was some very nice bracing inside, with some early taper down to the kerfing:

T4Ln7Js.jpg

thanks for checking in, all

In the '50s, there was a percentage of the J-185s that were built using that larger 'batwing' pickguard, although most typically the smaller/trimmer pickguard was used. 

I also had an '07 TV J-185, and it had the "slightly more correct" smaller 'guard.  It's seen on the right in the photo, along with an original '56.

Fred

Edited by J-1854Me
clarity

2 hours ago, J-1854Me said:

In the '50s, there was a percentage of the J-185s that were built using that larger 'batwing' pickguard, although most typically the smaller/trimmer pickguard was used. 

I also had an '07 TV J-185, and it had the "slightly more correct" smaller 'guard.  It's seen on the right in the photo, along with an original '56.

Fred

Interesting, Fred. Not sure what, if anything, will be done about the 'guard. . . right now, it's fine, as being just another Gibson anomaly.

Since I happen to have both a J-50 and a J-185, it was rather easy to spot that the guard on this guitar is virtually identical to a J-45/J-50 pickguard.  I’m wondering if perhaps the original guard peeled & was replaced.  Easy to change out if you choose to, but regardless, it’s a beautiful guitar.

I wouldn't change a thing...to my eyes, that's about as perfect as it gets. Absolutely gorgeous guitar, I've never owned a 185 but have always loved them. I had a 180 for a couple of years which was very good, but would love to own a 185 similar to this one...one day 🙂

On 12/30/2019 at 7:22 AM, Lars68 said:

Beautiful guitar. Sounds great too! Congratulations!

On 12/30/2019 at 8:33 AM, 62burst said:

Thanks, Lars. The demo clip was replaced with a view showing the bracing for the True Vintage series, but I'd like to do some more recording with the guitar.

But why, burst !?

1 minute ago, E-minor7 said:

Btw. what's your philosophy on torrefied tops (and components). 

They're difficult to spell. 

And a toasted top that looks like this in regular light. . . 

OLZnVf2.jpg

. . . looks like this in black light

vgE12vB.jpg

which can be scary. 

I actually just really like the sitka. and torrefied tops just seem like the opposite direction as that.

23 minutes ago, 62burst said:

. . . looks like this in black light

vgE12vB.jpg

which can be scary. 

Guess it's lesser pronounced on blondes then. 

Do you have a lot of black-lite voyeurism goin'.  It rocks. . 

24 minutes ago, 62burst said:

I actually just really like the sitka. and torrefied tops just seem like the opposite direction as that.

Aha. .