Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Gibson Firebird V

Vinnie1971

Thanks to those who gave me the right advice. I managed to track down a Gibson Firebird V in the UK and the seller took my a Epiphone Firebird III and Fenix by Young Chang Stratocaster ( which I go great trade values for)

the bird is a 2009 model and it surpasses my expectations ( I played a Gibson 2016 LP standard that left me disappointed - too many little QC issues ) and it’s flawless.

but I’m inclined to agree with the general consensus about the pickups- I would not say they’re horrible - after adjustment they sound ok. But they’re too compressed snd have a harsh clanky sound too them especially clean. They break up well though.

the Bill Lawrence designed OBL (made under license in Korea) pickups in the Epiphone are much better and do sound more like proper Firebird pickups.

I have some Firebird themed pickups ( on the outside look like Firebird pickups on the inside there twin rail mini humbuckers with a magnet in the base like the older Gibson 70s tribute Firebird pickups) which measure between 7k and 8k which are nicely made in all other respects- I’ll pull out the blades and magnets and put alnico 2 Firebird magnets in the bobbins and a steel plate on the bottom and report back. I’ve done this before on a Telebird using artec mini humbuckers as a base - they are 6.k alnico 5 and sound authentic- certainly better than the 495s in my Gibson.

edit - added more pictures 

CD9E1CE5-7448-42F8-81EB-3CEC49645308.jpeg

44CA8FBE-4A8E-4668-81A3-FD022CD96369.jpeg

60717108-4463-4A70-B113-AC35ECF03E61.jpeg

Edited by Vinnie1971
Added more pictures
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Wmachine said:

Absolutely.  Those 9 piece necks are a work of art.  Now you can feel confident you have a proper bird.    Congrats! 

thanks. its a real work of art. I just wish the pickups were better. But that’s easy to resolve. I even contemplated getting the Gibson’s pickups wound to 6.5k to 7k with 42 gauge wire and then replace the magnets with Alnico 2 but I’ll try my conversion project first.

and I love the banjo tuners 

12 hours ago, Vinnie1971 said:

the Bill Lawrence designed OBL (made under license in Korea) pickups in the Epiphone are much better and do sound more like proper Firebird pickups.

I totally agree with this,  i kept my old epiphone pickups and one day will swop them over 

• Like 1