Gibson Brands Forums

Very nice LP Custom

jdgm

.....Bit of a stunner in  fact.  Koa top mahogany '54 spec LP Custom.  [love][love]

But the price is......hideous.  Music Zoo special order.

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/gibson-custom-shop-1954-les-paul-custom-koa-top-made-2-measure?goal=0_63363c100e-443cdc5ed5-263687321&mc_cid=443cdc5ed5&mc_eid=779a2e7ab7

Gibson54-LPcustom-Koa.jpg

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jdgm said:

.....Bit of a stunner in  fact.  Koa top mahogany '54 spec LP Custom.  [love][love]

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/gibson-custom-shop-1954-les-paul-custom-koa-top-made-2-measure?goal=0_63363c100e-443cdc5ed5-263687321&mc_cid=443cdc5ed5&mc_eid=779a2e7ab7

Gibson54-LPcustom-Koa.jpg

They can keep it at Music Zoo. Looks nice Joe  B can afford it not me.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Not my cup of Tea but it's cool for those who like it.  I prefer a Goldtop, P90's & a Bigsby.. 

And currently Gibson have 4 Goldtop RIs available.....'54, '56, '57, 1968.....hide glue too, it say....

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Les-Paul

And while we are on '54s how about these?  OMG whatever next......black switch tips!!  

The purple one was on ebay Australia. 

Gibson-LPcs1954-Historic.jpg

Gibson-LPpurple.jpg

Edited by jdgm

The Koa top looks real nice - not sure what those pickups sound like?  They say it's '54 spec, but the Koa one has a Nashville bridge (wasn't around in '54).  The white one further down has an ABR-1 which would not be '54 style either.  Then the purple one has no bridge, and just the wrap around tailpiece which is true to what a '54 would've had.  Seems like they can't make up their mind if they really want '54 specs or not.  I believe in '54 they only came as a gold top, or an ebony finish - not purple or white.  You can design anything you want and have the Custom Shop do a special run, and charge tons of money, but why call it a "'54 spec" it it's nothing like a '54 was?

Edited by Twang Gang

Yes but.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul_Custom

(EDIT)  from article linked to above ........" The 1954 Les Paul Custom also saw the introduction of Gibson's new bridge, the ABR-1. ".......

They don't mention the Norlin-era 25/50 LP Custom though.:-k

BTW I myself am of 1954 vintage and still have my original tailpiece so to speak [cool]

Edited by jdgm

11 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

The Koa top looks real nice - not sure what those pickups sound like?  They say it's '54 spec, but the Koa one has a Nashville bridge (wasn't around in '54).  The white one further down has an ABR-1 which would not be '54 style either.  Then the purple one has no bridge, and just the wrap around tailpiece which is true to what a '54 would've had.  Seems like they can't make up their mind if they really want '54 specs or not.  I believe in '54 they only came as a gold top, or an ebony finish - not purple or white.  You can design anything you want and have the Custom Shop do a special run, and charge tons of money, but why call it a "'54 spec" it it's nothing like a '54 was?

Because they are not counting on folks like you who know their $hit!😁

The '54 Custom was the first LP to get the ABR bridge.  It is historically correct.  Beautiful guitars.

That particular guitar has a Nashville bridge though and since it's not solid mahogany it's far from historic spec.  The only thing remotely historic on that one is the staple p/u.

Edited by Black Dog

On 3/7/2020 at 2:59 PM, jdgm said:

On 3/7/2020 at 3:03 PM, jdgm said:

Needs a black switch tip IMO!

But you can save over $3K!?!?  How could you not jump on it.

Of course you're right, makes perfect sense - a black switch tip would make it a no brainer... 😆

It is a beauty though.