Gibson Brands Forums

What will they call this generation?

KSG_Standard

’07 U.S. Births Break Baby Boom Record

More babies were born in the United States in 2007 than in any other year in American history, according to preliminary data reported Wednesday by the National Center for Health Statistics.

The 4,317,000 births in 2007 just edged out the figure for 1957, at the height of the baby boom. The increase reflected a slight rise in childbearing by women of all ages, including those in their 30s and 40s, and a record share of births to unmarried women.

But in contrast with the culturally transforming postwar boom, when a smaller population of women bore an average of three or four children, the recent increase mainly reflects a larger population of women of childbearing age, said Stephanie J. Ventura, chief of reproductive statistics at the center and an author of the new report. Today, the average woman has 2.1 children.

Also in 2007, for the second straight year and in a trend health officials find worrisome, the rate of births to teenagers rose slightly after declining by one-third from 1991 to 2005....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/health/19birth.html?ref=us

Biblical scholars point to the 1940s as the final generation. Who knows how long that is? The book of Revelations tells of a third of the population being wiped out, a third of the earth destroyed. Peoples skin burned off their bodies where they stand (nuclear war). The gospel foretells of the return of Jesus when Israel is threatened.

I am not betting the biblical scholars are right. They started predicting the end of the world ten minutes after Jesus left. Paul's epistles and John the Divine. They've been predicting the end ever since -- every time the Arabs go ape they predict Armageddon. Edgar Cayce, Hal Lindsay, the Hale bop bunch (loonies!). All of them. But some day ONE of them will have been right and we will succeed. We definitely have the weapons (and everybody's got them). This 21st century will out do the 20th on everything - new technology, health/medicine, wars -- you gotta have wars. 6 billion people now! (plague too -- the 4 horsemen for sure -war, disease, famine, death). I used to worry about nutty leaders -- but stupid will do just as well. This generation -- a name -- "the tax dodgers" -- they only way they'll have enough to eat is to become a generation of hidden incomes. An underground economy that everybody knows about. The highway theif you have to watch out for these days are driving black and white cars and holding people up with radar guns. (It's strictly money these days). The government is the robber baron now.

The statistic that amazed me most was that 40% of US births last year were out of wedlock.

Yeah, but half of those 40% were born to the Octo-Mom!!

Seriously, though, I'm sure that's counting a fair number of lesbian/gay couples.

The statistic that amazed me most was that 40% of US births last year were out of wedlock.

it doesnt surprise me, but then again i work in white trash-ville. NO ONE up there has the same last name. very common to get a family of 4 (no father of course) where mom and the 3 kids all have different last names...your taxes at work. and barney frank says i should willingly support these people.

i have 2 obersvations about marriage (which of course others have made, proposed etc)

1) marriage, as a general rule, in this country is a joke.

2) marriage is only for the middle and upper class.

The cure for cancer is growing up in an inner city underfunded school system without the access or opportunity to end up in that medical school that will lead to the actual solution. Instead of going off to Harvard or Yale medical school he/she ends up at ITT Tech and becomes a burger flipper at your neighborhood McDonalds. In 3 years he/she will be Assistant Manager. It's the American Dream.

It's the "Not Yet Generation".

Single parent families are a national trend. (Study done by U. of Chicago several years ago finds >50% families are single parent. Causes? My guess would be lawyers and women's lib. The other thing is "clock running" philosophy. Back in the old days you figured you had kids to give them a better start than you got. And each generation got better than the last. Today they figure "my clock is running" (meaning "I am entitled to have kids -- a retirement program for women -- before my fertility stops (about 40). So if she is not married by that time, she gets pregnant and has however many she thinks are needed for her to retire -- and she prays for sons. Sons are a better retirement (generally) than daughters. If you are married and anything AT ALL GOES WRONG SHE GOES TO A

Single parent families are a national trend. (Study done by U. of Chicago several years ago finds >50% families are single parent. Causes? My guess would be lawyers and women's lib. The other thing is "clock running" philosophy. Back in the old days you figured you had kids to give them a better start than you got. And each generation got better than the last. Today they figure "my clock is running" (meaning "I am entitled to have kids -- a retirement program for women -- before my fertility stops (about 40). So if she is not married by that time, she gets pregnant and has however many she thinks are needed for her to retire -- and she prays for sons. Sons are a better retirement (generally) than daughters. If you are married and anything AT ALL GOES WRONG she goes to a lawyer who tells her she can "TAKE ALL HE'S GOT" (she is thinking house/car/investments." But actually the lawyer cashes the house out to pay his bill and she get's a car on a 60 month note with 48 months left to pay. ANd whatever the lawyer can win as child support. So THAT means marriage is not for the middle and upper class either AND that is also why there are so many single parent families. If they were not single when the kids arrived, they are single within 5 to 7 years. (studies on that too -- how long). Now that's today (2009) and the Depression will make that WORSE. Unemployment and underemployment tends towards divorces.

Unemployment and underemployment tends towards divorces.

Actually, divorce filings are way down because people can't afford to be single.

But, I'm sure women's libbers will find some way to screw that up as well. We girls just can't handle being alone and having to take care of ourselves.

git,

when i said marriage was for the middle/upper class, i meant that only those people still get married. at least in the impoverished area where i work. very few legally married couples....most in their 30s or older. (no common law in indiana)

as a people, we do not respect marriage anymore

Biblical scholars point to the 1940s as the final generation. Who knows how long that is? The book of Revelations tells of a third of the population being wiped out' date=' a third of the earth destroyed. Peoples skin burned off their bodies where they stand (nuclear war). The gospel foretells of the return of Jesus when Israel is threatened.[/quote']

Hey wait a minute - I am a Biblical scholar and I don't say that. Wasssss up wit dat?

Archived