Gibson Brands Forums

Looks like Ren tapped his secret maple stash for this '200 custom

62burst

. . . custom build back in 1999/2000 for the 10th anniversary of Acoustic Guitar magazine, and now for a Bill Collings charity auction:

Amazing wood selection, everywhere. The finger picks in the demo leave so much of this guitar still in the box, the great strummer barely gets a word out, but some momentum at the 1 min mark:

https://store.acousticguitar.com/collections/30th-anniversary-guitar-auction/products/gibson-sj-200

hQXcw3e.png

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

The unfortunate fate of Ren's masterpiece guitars is the high likelyhood of their ending up as showcase hangers mummified for posterity, even though they have been built to not only look the craftsmanship part but to sound fantastic as well, with Ren pouring all his guitar-construction soul into them.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

While I do appreciate a vine inlay on an ebony board, that guitar is a bit over the top for me.  Putting that instrument  in my hands would be like putting silk undies on a goat.  If they wanted to do something special, I would be more attracted to a hand rubbed two-tone burst finish than  all the MOP  inlay and abalone trim,.   Based on the blurb though,  Ren did not build the guitar only that it was built under his direction. .  Had that been a guitar actually built by Ren himself, the value estimate would be considerably higher,  Those Master Museum Gibsons he built generally go in the $40K range.

Edited by zombywoof

38 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

That’s an awesome guitar for sure, but I would too afraid to play it. 

Why not play those.. there ment to be played.. Ive seen a few already that have been abused.  cracked from drying out..  placed in spots where either being stepped on or sat on.   

2 hours ago, slimt said:

Why not play those.. there ment to be played.. Ive seen a few already that have been abused.  cracked from drying out..  placed in spots where either being stepped on or sat on.   

It’s just me. I would hate to put the first mark on that one! Bought my 2000 J-200 used. Pre- marked! Now I don’t mind banging on it. 

Really like the way the woods have melted into each other, but am afraid the whirling traffic on the board would psych me out. 

Then the abalone ring has cut the the fairy-ball flora that is so appreciated here. If ever goin' J-200, I'll go straight, , , , and probably suntobaccoburst.

I like it, but I I do like the extra bling, normally. Is it me, or do the gold tuners look a bit off?

I was surprised that this went for $69xx in the end. I would have guessed closer to $10k. Then again, the estimated value was $6500.

Do these SJ-200 super-blingers ever get abalone around the neck on the top like on a D-45, or is the pick-guard shape and positioning too sacred to allow?

Edited by PatriotsBiker

36 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I haven’t seen one. Here’s one with the body and fretboard

J200 RW

Nice.  They were Making J200 elites back in the 90s with abalone Markers and so on.  Yours appears to have the Rosewood back and sides as well.     

While I can appreciate the workmanship that is required to produce an instrument like this, I find the end result to be, well, over the top, and frankly quite tasteless.

To my mind, a guitar for Liberace.

And in the spirit of fairness to all the Gibsonians here, I also think the Martin D-45 is gaudy.

I own a D28 and a J45 standard,  both pretty plain looking, but all they do is sound nice, which is the reason I bought them.

RBSinTo

57 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

While I can appreciate the workmanship that is required to produce an instrument like this, I find the end result to be, well, over the top, and frankly quite tasteless.

And in the spirit of fairness to all the Gibsonians here, I also think the Martin D-45 is gaudy.

I own a D28 and a J45 standard,  both pretty plain looking, but all they do is sound nice, which is the reason I bought them.

RBSinTo

I bought a D-28 for the same reason and then I got the 41 cuz it sounds a lot better. Yes the abalone can be a little bit of overkill but when it's in your hands you got a smile on your face you can't chisel off.

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I bought a D-28 for the same reason and then I got the 41 cuz it sounds a lot better. Yes the abalone can be a little bit of overkill but when it's in your hands you got a smile on your face you can't chisel off.

Yup I dont mind over kill , Im paying for it.    If it gives me what Im after.  Im good with it.  

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've played both the D28 and a D41 one day not long ago, and can't say that  my tin ear discerned a musical difference. I wonder if your ears have been over-ridden by your eyes?

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Angels weep when I strum my 41 cause it sounds so good.

Funny. I use that same expression when I describe to others the sound of my D-28.

But its 46 years old, so it better bring the angels to tears when it sings.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

RBSinTo

One man’s gaudy, is another man’s awesome!