Gibson Brands Forums

New 1957 SJ-200 - Rough Looking TRC?

Brucebubs

52 minutes ago, j45nick said:

You need to understand that guitars in the Historic series are meant to look like (in this case) well-cared-for 60-year-old guitars. They are not meant to look like a brand new guitars. This is reflected in things like the finish, which is not a buffed high-gloss finish like a standard Bozeman guitar.

If you want a modern "new" guitar look with a perfect finish, do not consider buying one of the Historic models.

How did most if not all of the big guitar manufactures  pull the wool over our eyes and many have gotten in line and bought into the whole idea of purchasing a brand new guitar that looks old, so were gonna charge you more for it and you will  pay more for it willingly?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How did most if not all of the big guitar manufactures  pull the wool over our eyes and many have gotten in line and bought into the whole idea of purchasing a brand new guitar that looks old, so were gonna charge you more for it and you will  pay more for it willingly?

And the more problems it comes with, the more they can charge!

Perhaps they'll put out a menu so the fans can choose exactly which ones they want, along with a corresponding price list.

What a great marketing idea!

You can practically smell the money smouldering in the pockets of the fans as they clamor to customize their next purchases.

RBSinTo

4 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

And the more problems it comes with, the more they can charge!

Perhaps they'll put out a menu so the fans can choose exactly which ones they want, along with a corresponding price list.

What a great marketing idea!

You can practically smell the money smouldering in the pockets of the fans as they clamor to customize their next purchases.

RBSinTo

You do realize that a lot of high-end builders already do that, don't you? Examples: Martin, Pre-War Guitars, etc.

This is not a new thing or a new idea.

It has been discussed here over the years ad nauseum.

14 minutes ago, j45nick said:

You do realize that a lot of high-end builders already do that, don't you? Examples: Martin, Pre-War Guitars, etc.

Yes I do. But I have neither desire nor need to partake. I leave that to others.

RBSinTo

47 minutes ago, j45nick said:

It was a several years back when this all started. I had heard about it but never saw one. I was at a house party and the guy playing had a Strat. After his set, I said what year is your Strat? Expecting to get an answer like its 40 years old. Nope he told me it was a year old. I almost laughed in his face, and when he told me the price. I just shook my head.

Never liked it and won't ever buy one. If someone is gonna trash my guitar its gonna be me.

Yes it has been discussed to ad nauseum, like - What is my guitar worth - I don't want to sell it I just want to know? , What are the best pickups?,  What strings are the best?, What year was my 2015 Les Paul made?, What does my serial number mean?, What does the ID code of my guitar mean?, I put a tuner on my headstock and now I have a mark on it, why?, Can I post a picture of a different maker here? Ect. Ect. If you have been on the forum for a while it just keeps coming back around.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Yes I do. But I have neither desire nor need to partake. I leave that to others.

RBSinTo

As someone with no desire to partake, it's interesting you're replying to most posts in this thread. no need for self-flagellation my friend it's a big forum. As Nick said, the idea is that it's looking like a 60yo guitar- if you've ever seen gibsons from that era even in pristine condition, they weren't matching martin in terms of consistency and quality assurance. The only consistent thing was inconsistency, so here were are again with a TRC that looks a little funky...the Gibson way. I dont think this needs to devolve into sh*tposting about relic jobs, that's not what this is.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

As someone with no desire to partake, it's interesting you're replying to most posts in this thread. no need for self-flagellation my friend it's a big forum. As Nick said, the idea is that it's looking like a 60yo guitar- if you've ever seen gibsons from that era even in pristine condition, they weren't matching martin in terms of consistency and quality assurance. The only consistent thing was inconsistency, so here were are again with a TRC that looks a little funky...the Gibson way. I dont think this needs to devolve into sh*tposting about relic jobs, that's not what this is.

Well then the TRC should look like its 60 years old. The TRC  looks like a-ss, and if that was what they were going for, they nailed it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Brucebubs said:

Look at this picture of a 1952 SJ-200 again - not a new 2020 Historic - it's 68 years old- I just think my SJ-200  should have a TRC that looks as good as this one.

j4n2ounl.jpg

I totally agree that you should get what you want having paid that kind of coin for it, and agree with others that Gibson can easily remedy this and you should stay on them. Otherwise it's clear that it's under your skin and will bother you when you go to play it. 

that said, i'd love to see a pic of your headstock from the distance of that olivia's vintage pic and see how it looks

1 minute ago, j45nick said:

I think yours is gorgeous. Play it, and enjoy.

It plays like a dream and sounds superb, just huge. I've got a few jumbo guitars and they're all great but this is in another league.

Those Gotoh Keystone tuners are the smoothest I've ever used too - absolutely zero backlash, a pleasure to use.

A long,long time ago my father said that if something is worth doing it should be done right.

For all the money Gibson  spends on P.R. they might consider that everything they ship out to their potential or established customers bears their name and if the product is not top drawer, that's the impression they are leaving. Especially when the new regime is fighting the stigma of the perceived  lack of  Gibson Q.C. that the Martin and Taylor crowd bring up every chance they can.

So - is it too much to expect that a TRC not be up to snuff? Raise the price another $10, if that's what it takes. Excuses don't cut it.

I'm a fan of Gibson guitars; but not an apologist for them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

My lack of desire to partake refers to purchasing a pretend vintage guitar, not taking part in the discussions.

RBSinTo

15 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Best I have at the moment is ...

j4n2ounl.jpg4P0hAHDl.jpg

Bruce, those pictures change my vew completely! If the lower pic is your guitar, I‘d say it is amazing. That headstock binding is much more beautiful than the one of the old guitar. It almost looks like a maple binding.

The only thing I would do is to get rid of the TRC with its snow white binding and replace it with something the fits to this, your beautiful guitar. Just because it is original doesn’t mean it’s good.

Also now that I looked so closely, I don’t like the TRC on my ‚cheapie‘ SJ-200 Standard anymore. It’s made nicely and is a 2-layer therefore the snow white edge is much smaller, but now that I see it, I might switch to a black or black/cream one. Does anyone have nice ideas?

59 minutes ago, Peter Z said:

..The only thing I would do is to get rid of the TRC with its snow white binding and replace it with something the fits to this, your beautiful guitar. Just because it is original doesn’t mean it’s good.

Also now that I looked so closely, I don’t like the TRC on my ‚cheapie‘ SJ-200 Standard anymore. It’s made nicely and is a 2-layer therefore the snow white edge is much smaller, but now that I see it, I might switch to a black or black/cream one. Does anyone have nice ideas?

Arrange a TRC trade with Brucebubs? 😉

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

My lack of desire to partake refers to purchasing a pretend vintage guitar, not taking part in the discussions.

RBSinTo

It's  Reliced New but made to look Vintage with a poorly made Chinese TRC. Question? The case you get, is it supposed to look 60 years old as well?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

46 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Arrange a TRC trade with Brucebubs? 😉

Yeah, in a personal meeting! While still many people think, Australia and Austria is the same, a trip from one to the other could take weeks now with all that travel restrictions. But for a nice TRC ..... I mean I would got there, but we are just a few hours away from the next lockdown here. 😂 or maybe 😢

Stay healthy, friends!

33 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I'm  starting to think we've uncovered  another First World Problem.  

If you can afford that guitar, then you do have a first world problem with the wonky supposed to look 60 years old poorly made TRC.

How does he sleep at night?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Never have particularly cared for that huge-white-bordered Gibson TRC.  To my eye, it’s always seemed to be a bit too much in terms of the white portion.

But apparently my favorite Gibson TRC is no longer available, so I can’t even throw it out there as a recommendation.  It was commonly available as a “genuine historic” part for a number of years.  Then I could only find it on eBay through Philadelphia Luthier.  Now I don’t see it at all.  It was used by Gibson in the ‘50s & was a bit narrower, with a slightly wider white border (compared to today’s standard issue TRC).  Edit:  At their site,  Philadelphia Luthier has one listed as a "Historic '61 Les Paul" that is the one I'm referring to, but it's engraved with LP's name.

Anyway, keep working on it, Bruce.  Eventually you’ll end up with one you like.  The best news is that it’s an easy diy fix - as opposed to needing something like, say, a neck reset/binding repair/bridge reglue on a relatively new high-end Martin!

Edited by bobouz
  • Haha 1