Gibson Brands Forums

New 1957 SJ-200 - Rough Looking TRC?

Brucebubs

4 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

According to the descriptions and prices shown here on the Gibson website, this is a $6,000.00 (U.S.) instrument. For that kind of money, one would expect the Gibson Company to hand deliver a perfect replacement rather than ignoring the customer and simply leaving up to someone else in the supply chain to possibly look after it. I for one, am not impressed with what passes for their customer service.

RBSinTo

What if I told you it cost the equivalent to US$8,888.00 here?

That gives you a good idea of how much US made guitars cost outside the USA.

Edited by Brucebubs

As an aside, this isn't news to me. Many years ago when a Martin D28 cost $400.00 in Buffalo New York, just 90 minutes away here in Toronto Ontario, the same instrument was $585.00.

But back to the problem at hand. Hearing what you paid makes my disappointment at Gibson's indifference even greater.

RBSinTo

Goodness sakes.... A truss rod cover.

The TRCs with the wide white border are what was used on the SJ-200s in the 1950s.  That's why they have the wide borders on them.  I suppose that's why Gibson equipped this "1957 SJ-200" with the wide-white-border TRC.  Poorly executed, yes, but the correct look.

Below is an example from 1952

Fred

1952-gibson-sj-200-sunburst-OmQAVR5.jpg4

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J-1854Me said:

Goodness sakes.... A truss rod cover.

The TRCs with the wide white border are what was used on the SJ-200s in the 1950s.  That's why they have the wide borders on them.  I suppose that's why Gibson equipped this "1957 SJ-200" with the wide-white-border TRC.  Poorly executed, yes, but the correct look.

Below is an example from 1952

Fred

1952-gibson-sj-200-sunburst-OmQAVR5.jpg4

I have a 2000 J-200 with the same. Much ado about not much. I could care less about the trc. Never really paid much attention until this  thread. I think it should have been easier to get a replacement. Sounds like that particular problem was solved case closed!

Edited by Paul14

11 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Hey, by coincidence I bought my Rickenbacker bass in 2018 from Olivia's Vintage - they were absolutely fantastic, double boxed and the set up was perfect.

6lVgVvjm.jpg

I had a Jetglo 4003 for a while. Ric's are strange beasts.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 11/11/2020 at 11:45 AM, Brucebubs said:

What if I told you it cost the equivalent to US$8,888.00 here?

That gives you a good idea of how much US made guitars cost outside the USA.

Attention to detail appears to be......none! I wouldn’t take it off - it probably holds the neck on.

You the one that cans Matons every chance - send it back and get 8 local perfect quality controlled Matons?

2 Lowden perfect O22s?

BluesKing777.

2 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Attention to detail appears to be......none! I wouldn’t take it off - it probably holds the neck on.

You the one that cans Matons every chance - send it back and get 8 local perfect quality controlled Matons?

2 Lowden perfect O22s?

BluesKing777.

Ha ha - you should hear it! There's not a Maton on earth that sounds like this ... now Lowden might just be a different story! 🙂

1 hour ago, Brucebubs said:

Ha ha - you should hear it! There's not a Maton on earth that sounds like this ... now Lowden might just be a different story! 🙂

Don’t know about Maton, though mine are faultless, but George Lowden would rather stick his Japanese chisels in his eye than send out something looking like that! Awful.

BluesKing777.

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I’m surprised you guys don’t chuck it all and start your own guitar company.   Then we can post photos blown up 3x and  critique your TRCs . 

None of my acoustic guitars have TRC's.  My only complaint about the CFM company. Where you adjust the rod I cant' stand it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

42 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

None of my acoustic guitars have TRC's.  My only complaint about the CFM company. Where you adjust the rod I cant' stand it.

Yes, agree..but is the extra routing for access to the TR nut on a Gibson a co-contributor (along with headstock angle) to the dreaded Gibson headstock break? Dont know, but repairing stripped out truss rod hardware would be an easier job when you don’t have to go inside the guitar body. I think I’ll just try not to drop my guitar.

Edited by 62burst

7 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Yes, agree..but is the extra routing for access to the TR nut on a Gibson a co-contributor (along with headstock angle) to the dreaded Gibson headstock break? Dont know, but repairing stripped out truss rod hardware would be an easier job when you don’t have to go inside the guitar body. I think I’ll just try not to drop my guitar.

I've seen a Martin headstock broken. It happens. Martin's angle is 15 degree's and I think Gibson is 17.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Instead of seeing this as a negative, maybe it's an opportunity to make it your own. It's such a small piece that's so easily modifiable/removed (not like a fretboard inlay or something) I'd find someone to do something special like on this '38

00c0c_4pFbm1SWLcJ_600x450.jpg

Edited by cunningham26

2 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

Instead of seeing this as a negative, maybe it's an opportunity to make it your own. It's such a small piece that's so easily modifiable/removed (not like a fretboard inlay or something) I'd find someone to do something special like on this '38

00c0c_4pFbm1SWLcJ_600x450.jpg

Could also be a great opportunity for Gibson to make a course correction and improve their quality control. 

Their lack of attention to the little details might well be an indication how they handle the truly important ones.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 5:54 PM, Brucebubs said:

Loving how my new Historic 1957 SJ-200 plays and sounds but I'm not impressed with the Truss Rod Cover - black over white but the black panel looks like it was cut out with a rusty butter knife - very rough around the edges.

I have a bad feeling no-one is going to do anything about it - I contacted Gibson USA Customer Service and they passed the buck to the Australian distributor and they passed the buck on to the dealer who .. surprise, surprise .. hasn't replied to my emails or returned my call.

EKepSJBh.jpg

That one almost looks painted. Ive never seen a trussrod cover with that edging that you show. All mine have sharp crisp lines a insert in white border .  

41 minutes ago, slimt said:

That one almost looks painted. Ive never seen a trussrod cover with that edging that you show. All mine have sharp crisp lines a insert in white border .  

It is silly, the white base has clean sharp edges it's just that black overlay that's rough - it just needed a little gentle cleaning up with sandpaper or something before it was stuck down.

On 11/10/2020 at 6:41 PM, RBSinTo said:

According to the descriptions and prices shown here on the Gibson website, this is a $6,000.00 (U.S.) instrument. For that kind of money, one would expect the Gibson Company to hand deliver a perfect replacement rather than ignoring the customer and simply leaving it up to someone else in the supply chain to possibly look after. I for one, am not impressed with what passes for their customer service.

RBSinTo

Major companies put in place processes for correcting manufacturing issues - big and small.  They rarely send out parts with a retail value of $30 to anyone who calls up.  Dealing with things like guitars, furniture, automobiles -  the dis-satisfied customer usually has to go through the authorized dealer.  They screen out unreasonable requests and owners who didn't buy the item new with a warranty.   Based on your logic,  Gibson should send out $200 hand painted pick guards to people willy nilly.  

17 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

It is silly, the white base has clean sharp edges it's just that black overlay that's rough - it just needed a little gentle cleaning up with sandpaper or something before it was stuck down.

"If I were me, I would get a small piece of very fine sandpaper (400+) and go over the edges of the black piece. Maybe painters  tape on the white piece, or just keep a thin piece of paper under it as you move around the edges of the  black piece.  I think all that happened there was that  = after the black piece was cut, it got into the parts bin before someone sanded the cut edges down."

So,  what are you going to do ?   

4 hours ago, littlejohnny said:

this truss rod cover looks ugly, so does the paint job, but what really would scare me is the binding on the treble side -

good for you that it does not sound like it looks

You need to understand that guitars in the Historic series are meant to look like (in this case) well-cared-for 60-year-old guitars. They are not meant to look like a brand new guitars. This is reflected in things like the finish, which is not a buffed high-gloss finish like a standard Bozeman guitar.

If you want a modern "new" guitar look with a perfect finish, do not consider buying one of the Historic models.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Major companies put in place processes for correcting manufacturing issues - big and small.  They rarely send out parts with a retail value of $30 to anyone who calls up.  Dealing with things like guitars, furniture, automobiles -  the dis-satisfied customer usually has to go through the authorized dealer.  They screen out unreasonable requests and owners who didn't buy the item new with a warranty.   Based on your logic,  Gibson should send out $200 hand painted pick guards to people willy nilly.  

No, my logic says when a customer who has spent big money on a new guitar and has a legitimate complaint, it should be addressed without getting a run-around first. You are the one who came to the false conclusion that Willy or Nilly expect $200.00 freebie pickguards, and that Gibson would comply and send them out just like that without proof of purchase.

And just so you know, both Willy and Nilly play Martins, and don't like or want those pickguards.

RBSinTo