Gibson Brands Forums

What ever happened to...

olie

2 hours ago, bobouz said:

Indeed, there’s someone I haven’t thought about in a long time.

Always enjoyed his posts.

So did I - he was a withheld but important voice here.  Lots of knowledge'n'soul'n'memos under the hood. 

And then he had/has a vintage Bird we never were lucky enough to see. Still waiting. . . . . . 

8 hours ago, zombywoof said:

There are a few voices here I really miss.  I swear though there are times when I think some of the folks here are my long lost kin which had been kidnapped by gypsies.

I for one sometimes miss Gotomdos* and Anthony Buckeridge**, , , , and now think about milod. But where the heck is Murph. . 

* The member who  patiently seeked the right Banner J-45, , , and eventually found a steller ex to retire happily ever after.

** The member who for many posts mistook this Board for a philosophy-forum, wrote like an endless tempest and finally drowned in words. . 

milod was a clever fellow - appeared here and there in the various sections. RIP 

But again, , , where is Murph ?!

Edited by E-minor7

17 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I for one sometimes miss Gotomdos* and Anthony Buckeridge**, , , , and now think about milod. But where the heck is Murph. . 

* The member who  patiently seeked the right Banner J-45, , , and eventually found a steller ex to retire happily ever after.

** The member who for many posts mistook this Board for a philosophy-forum, wrote like an endless tempest and finally drowned in words. . 

milod was a clever fellow - appeared here and there in the various sections. RIP 

Murph, I believe a few months back - signed off disgusted with the  passive aggressive attacks from a couple of members -  politics, coronavirus or something I believe.  I could name names, but that would only dignify.    I believe it was in The Lounge.  Where Acoustic members are sort of considered Red Headed Step Children by some  the Electric Eclectic members. 

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Murph, I believe a few months back - signed off disgusted with the  passive aggressive attacks from a couple of members -  politics, coronavirus or something I believe.  I could name names, but that would only dignify.    I believe it was in The Lounge.  Where Acoustic members are sort of considered Red Headed Step Children by some  the Electric Eclectic members. 

Nah, your not considered that at all. But some members, and I could name names too, in the Acoustic part of the world that like to come out every once and a while on a sunny day and visit the Lounge or the Gibson USA or the Gibson Custom threads and bash the guys who plug in, or especially guys who own a Taylor or another manufacturer that has been around since 1833 or so.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Okay, , , I remember him kind of underrating the C-19 in the early phase. Maybe took flak for that over there. He should or could have just stayed out of the Lounge.  

Who, , , electric members !? , , , , they don't reach my amp. . 

28 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Okay, , , I remember him kind of underrating the C-19 in the early phase. Maybe took flak for that over there. He should or could have just stayed out of the Lounge.  

I heard  a long while back after he split that Murph is on on the AGF. Never been on so I can't confirm.

No one has to say out of any area of the forum, but if your gonna talk smack, expect to get it back. Trust me I know.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yeah but 40YP'in why? He spoke his own mind and tried to forced his opinion on others. I've had a few heated posts back and forth with him when he was on. He's opinionated. Nothing wrong with that but if you are, expect to get opinions of the opposite kind back at you. Once again trust me I know.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, duluthdan said:

DD is alive and well, isolating in his basement with 3 Gibsons, 2 Martins, his dog Powder and an unfinished book. 

There are worse ways to spend a winter. I assume you at least get out to walk the dog and do other essential chores.

Take care of yourself, and give the dog a scratch for us.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 7:33 AM, E-minor7 said:

Gotomsdos is currently on UMGF Vintage Guitar section, while Murph last logged in on AGF in August........

BluesKing777.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

As Sgt.Pepper said -  No one should have to stay out of any section of The Forum.  

Like Murph, I think many questioned the legitimacy of confusing info coming out from 'experts' on CV19 in the early phase (first No Masks then Masks Required) ... and the middle phase and which ever phase we're in now.!   So, there is a growing dis-satisfaction with the politicization of this health crisis.   Two sides to every issue.  Murph should not have been attacked mercilessly for justifying his opinion.  For example,  NYC is shutting down public schools (again) because the % of positive tests has hit 3%.   Ours here is 9% ...but we get people from El Paso which rounds up Non-citizens on the Mexico / US Border who claim they are sick.   That % has grown as more and more employers require employees to keep being re-tested every few days before they can return to work.  So - reported as Positive Cases for sure.  Maybe even 'New Cases' by the same people who had admitted they reported people who only had symptoms but were not tested - as CV19 deaths.  

My point is -  in a perfect world,  we should all be able to express our opinion.  And, if challenged, be able to present a defense or justification of it. And if attacked, to point out inconsistencies in the arguments of people who disagree.   All WITHOUT those who disagree GETTING UGLY.    But, I think you would find in any group of people on social media (since individual people aren't 'perfect' - groups are less so)  some 5% can be expected to get ugly.  We have that here, with little real consequences.   For that reason - I do not agree that  he, or me, or you - could or should be expected to stay our of any section of the  Gibson Forums.   It squelches the spirit of 'Free Speech' by encouraging  personal attacks.   It would encourage that 5% to come to this forum and 'get ugly'.     

There have been a few threads here (and in The Lounge) over the past several months lamenting the decline in quantity and quality of comments.  Some folks suggested it could be because of this negativity.    Some folks have egos that are out of control and consider any opinion that doesn't align with any of theirs - a threat that needs to be attacked.    Finally - while there is a prohibition against discussing "politics"  on this forum - it has reached a point where politics seems to pervade every aspect of our lives - up to and including your guest list for Thanksgiving, and whether or not you can sing !!!    Talk about cancelling gigs!    Think your country buys too much crapola from China -  that's politics.  Think the vaccine is unsafe - that's politics.  Think Canadians should stay out of US politics?  Politics  AND Hate Speech  -  which now being considered to be made a CRIME by politicians who  may be in power soon.    Ironically -  Social Media encourages it.    Irony?  Tragedy?  "Oh The Humanity!"  

On the other hand ...   I think many of our longtime members who have disappeared my have done so for  Health, Economic or LifeStyle Reasons.  No more gigs, no more band practice, no more students...    While there are some younger members here,  many of us tend to be 'over the hill'.   More likely to move away from  "Guitar Life"   for health or financial reasons.  It would be somewhat difficult to come here knowing you could no longer play.  Or had to sell your treasured Banner J45 for a harmonica.   Or a Taylor Swift Taylor!   

49 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

As Sgt.Pepper said -  No one should have to stay out of any section of The Forum.  

Like Murph, I think many questioned the legitimacy of confusing info coming out from 'experts' on CV19 in the early phase (first No Masks then Masks Required) ... and the middle phase and which ever phase we're in now.!   So, there is a growing dis-satisfaction with the politicization of this health crisis.   Two sides to every issue.  Murph should not have been attacked mercilessly for justifying his opinion.  For example,  NYC is shutting down public schools (again) because the % of positive tests has hit 3%.   Ours here is 9% ...but we get people from El Paso which rounds up Non-citizens on the Mexico / US Border who claim they are sick.   That % has grown as more and more employers require employees to keep being re-tested every few days before they can return to work.  So - reported as Positive Cases for sure.  Maybe even 'New Cases' by the same people who had admitted they reported people who only had symptoms but were not tested - as CV19 deaths.  

My point is -  in a perfect world,  we should all be able to express our opinion.  And, if challenged, be able to present a defense or justification of it. And if attacked, to point out inconsistencies in the arguments of people who disagree.   All WITHOUT those who disagree GETTING UGLY.    But, I think you would find in any group of people on social media (since individual people aren't 'perfect' - groups are less so)  some 5% can be expected to get ugly.  We have that here, with little real consequences.   For that reason - I do not agree that  he, or me, or you - could or should be expected to stay our of any section of the  Gibson Forums.   It squelches the spirit of 'Free Speech' by encouraging  personal attacks.   It would encourage that 5% to come to this forum and 'get ugly'.     

There have been a few threads here (and in The Lounge) over the past several months lamenting the decline in quantity and quality of comments.  Some folks suggested it could be because of this negativity.    Some folks have egos that are out of control and consider any opinion that doesn't align with any of theirs - a threat that needs to be attacked.    Finally - while there is a prohibition against discussing "politics"  on this forum - it has reached a point where politics seems to pervade every aspect of our lives - up to and including your guest list for Thanksgiving, and whether or not you can sing !!!    Talk about cancelling gigs!    Think your country buys too much crapola from China -  that's politics.  Think the vaccine is unsafe - that's politics.  Think Canadians should stay out of US politics?  Politics  AND Hate Speech  -  which now being considered to be made a CRIME by politicians who  may be in power soon.    Ironically -  Social Media encourages it.    Irony?  Tragedy?  "Oh The Humanity!"  

On the other hand ...   I think many of our longtime members who have disappeared my have done so for  Health, Economic or LifeStyle Reasons.  No more gigs, no more band practice, no more students...    While there are some younger members here,  many of us tend to be 'over the hill'.   More likely to move away from  "Guitar Life"   for health or financial reasons.  It would be somewhat difficult to come here knowing you could no longer play.  Or had to sell your treasured Banner J45 for a harmonica.   Or a Taylor Swift Taylor!   

We don't live in a perfect world, and you are allowed to express your opinions, I think one of the 103 Amendments gave us, US citizens that right. And remember just because I express my opinion doesn't mean I'm wrong. And just because I offend you, it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Be careful who you vote for you may get what you wanted, and find out they fed you a s-hit filled twinky.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Agree with most of the text up there, fortyearspickn. You are simply right. Still Murph could have stayed in this bar if he liked. No reason to leave the entire town - but if bullied no reason to receive s... either. I btw. remember him taking the first traces of C-19 remarkably lightly. Guess he adjusted that, , but maybe not. People all over are divided on that issue too these days, , , uakkk. .   

Earlier - 4-5-6 years ago - we had rather wild and frustrated threads here in the cosy acoustic saloon once in a while. It was as if things sometimes exploded and lids flew off. Not seldom without significant reasons. Actually it was a bit like bar-room fights, , , you know where some guests just have to take abstract aggressions out over smaller issues.                                                                                                  Nice to see that has evaporated. I miss the surreal threads though, , , they were something else, , ,  and third. .

💨🥦🎈 🩰🧵 [thumbup]

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Agree with most of the text up there, fortyearspickn. You are simply right. Still Murph could have stayed in this bar if he liked. No reason to leave the entire town - but if bullied no reason to receive s... either. I btw. remember him taking the first traces of C-19 remarkably lightly. Guess he adjusted that, , but maybe not. People all over are divided on that issue too these days, , , uakkk. .   

Earlier - 4-5-6 years ago - we had rather wild and frustrated threads here in the cosy acoustic saloon once in a while. It was as if things sometimes exploded and lids flew off. Not seldom without significant reasons. Actually it was a bit like bar-room fights, , , you know where some guests just have to take abstract aggressions out over smaller issues.                                                                                                  Nice to see that has evaporated. I miss the surreal threads though, , , they were something else, , ,  and third. .

💨🥦🎈 🩰🧵 [thumbup]

I am still not convinced ANTHONY was even real. 

50 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Whoever it was, Anne - they owe me a new set of reading glasses from reading posts as long as a book! 😁

👓They, , , aha. . 

1 hour ago, AnneS said:

I am still not convinced ANTHONY was even real. 

😄 HE was the surrealist, wasn't he. . 

Edited by E-minor7

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We don't live in a perfect world, and you are allowed to express your opinions, I think one of the 103 Amendments gave us, US citizens that right. And remember just because I express my opinion doesn't mean I'm wrong. And just because I offend you, it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Be careful who you vote for you may get what you wanted, and find out they fed you a s-hit filled twinky.

I trust you realize there have only been 27 amendments to the US Constitution. The amendment you are referencing is actually the first amendment, guaranteeing such things as freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of religion.

Some of us actually read and respect the Constitution. Maybe you should, too.