Gibson Brands Forums

First Gibson Les Paul

rubasrosh47

30th birthday coming soon, I want to buy myself first Gibson Les Paul guitar as present. I'm thinking about one of three models:

1. Gibson USA Les Paul Modern

2. R7 Goldtop Reissue

3. Les Paul Custom

I have my favourite but would like to know which one out of three would You pick and why?

Guitar will be pairied with Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb.

The Modern

Mainly because of the wider 1.69" / 43.05mm fingerboard. The other 'player' friendly enhancement are also very welcome.

It has an ebony fingerboard which I love. Ok, I'm probably too old now to wear out any more rosewood ones, but if I was 30 again, that would be a big deal.

The only thing I would change is the Burstbucker PUs. Probably replace with 57 Classics.

Everything else is aesthetics. 

LP Custom I’m thinking. Real fancy guitar if you’re looking to spend some dough. Depends on which year you go after cuz you’d probably want to find one with an ebony fretboard. Maybe look at the older 68RIs if you want a cool one.

R7s are nice too. I really like my R7 GT. Have to know the frets are tall and skinny with a fat neck. Sounds real good though - and looks great too. It’s a rock machine plain and simple. Like my R9 better but R7 is just like that with the features I just explained. 

The modern can’t comment on since I’ve never played one. It’s probably a great guitar and hopefully worth your time. It might be just what you’re looking for... Seems pretty versatile too. 

But you should just find some you can buy and try this way you gat a better choice of what to blow a few grand on. Good luck and share pictures!

On 11/21/2020 at 11:24 AM, rubasrosh47 said:

30th birthday coming soon, I want to buy myself first Gibson Les Paul guitar as present. I'm thinking about one of three models:

1. Gibson USA Les Paul Modern

2. R7 Goldtop Reissue

3. routerloginLes Paul Custom

192.168.0.1I have my favourite but would like to know which one out of three would You pick and why?

Guitar will be pairied with Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb.

issue got solved

• 2 weeks later...