Gibson Brands Forums

Styx Too Much Time On My Hands

IanHenry

The last time I saw them was about 20 years ago playing out of a portable stage trailer on the street at a festival in Tempe Az close to ASU. I was able to watch them from stage left just a few feet away, anyway I have always enjoyed them..

Tommy spent about 30 mins with me and my buddy in Gruhn's. He is a true rock star. He walked around and showed us and talked to us about a few of the guitars and told us which ones were way over priced. I won't mention a brand name but one was one Jackson Browne has a sig model of. Its Gruhn's that over priced it though. Paradise Theater came out in '80 and I saw them the summer of '81, that was 39 years ago. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Oh man.  For a few years there my best late teens/early 20's band we always put Come Sail Away at 4th song, first set.  A gig in them days was ThursFriSat, 9 - 2, so in 5 sets we sometimes had to do that one THREE times.  End of the night they wanted that again instead of Freebird lots of nights.

It's all DeYoung, but it is 200% Styx.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rct said:

Oh man.  For a few years there my best late teens/early 20's band we always put Come Sail Away at 4th song, first set.  A gig in them days was ThursFriSat, 9 - 2, so in 5 sets we sometimes had to do that one THREE times.  End of the night they wanted that again instead of Freebird lots of nights.

Dennis had to stop touring do to the strobing and blinking lights affecting him at shows. I saw a doc about them, and it said he went to about 10 different doctors before they could figure out what it was. I think Grand Illusion was the first Styx album I heard and owned.

The doc also stated that Dennis and Tommy met in an elevator one day  in some town and Dennis gave him an earful about making fun of the song Babe on stage when he was in that lame Damn Yankees band with Ted (The Republican Mouthpiece) Nugent. Hey Tommy you play on that song remember you were on the Cornerstone album too. So your making fun of yourself too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 12/4/2020 at 6:08 PM, sparquelito said:

Very nice!!!

I just watched Tommy on a fresh episode of Live From Daryl's House the other week. 
Great stuff. 

🙂

Yeah I saw that one too. Tommy could hit the high notes even better than Daryl. 

On 12/4/2020 at 5:42 PM, rct said:

One of my first make out sessions, with the sheriff's daughter no less of a small Arkansas town, 1976 or 7 (when did it come out?), was to this song which she loved. Hell I loved it too and still do. She dumped me soon afterwards. Oh well.  The song had great building of energy. Great voice.  

One of my goals in life is to write and record a song that someone says the same thing about. Wouldn't be me singing but at least writing.

His voice was Styx.