Gibson Brands Forums

There are few things better than Sheryl Crow on a Gibson... except

MorrisrownSal

6 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

And now after all these years the answer must fall : Good Taylor played an adjustable rosewood sadle. You, young Nick, played conventionally sized bone. 

Cheers ^ E-minor7

Actually, in 1969 My old J-45 had just been re-topped by Gibson, and had  a cherryburst top and adj bridge with rosewood saddle.

A year later, my J-45 was a J-50 with the same bridge/saddle, but it wasn't because of JT.  I just could stand the cherryburst, and stripped it off.

Now, of course, it's a J-45 again, with a replica 1950 bridge with slot-through saddle.

The poor thing has been through a lot over the 54 years I have owned it.

2 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Actually, in 1969 My old J-45 had just been re-topped by Gibson, and had  a cherryburst top and adj bridge with rosewood saddle.

A year later, my J-45 was a J-50 with the same bridge/saddle, but it wasn't because of JT.  I just could stand the cherryburst, and stripped it off.

Now, of course, it's a J-45 again, with a replica 1950 bridge with slot-through saddle.

The poor thing has been through a lot over the 54 years I have owned it.

Ahh yea - the big and fatal operation. I was of course referring to this early original state of that same guitar - 

zklSH0w.jpg

Guess the then new repaired version in all its strrangeness explains a good deal.  You should btw. post a pic of that after it came home.                                                                                                                                                                         But something tells me you were too shocked to ever get it on film.

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Ahh yea - the big and fatal operation. I was of course referring to this early original state of that same guitar - 

Guess the then new repaired version in all its strrangeness explains a good deal.  You should btw. post a pic of that after it came home.                                                                                                                                                                         But something tells me you were too shocked to ever get it on film.

You are right. I never took a picture of it in its cherryburst finish.

I kept staring at it thinking WTF have they done with my guitar? I didn't want a new guitar. I wanted my old guitar, with the top re-glued and a new fretboard. Instead I got what looked like a new 1968 J-45. 

I guess I should be grateful they didn't strip the sides and back and put a cherry finish on them. Instead, they oversprayed them, as Gibson almost always did when you sent a guitar back for repairs.

I remember looking inside to verify that it really was my guitar. For better or worse, it was.

Edited by j45nick
added additional thought

1 hour ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

RBSinTo

that is good you are immune to the concept favorite musician who influence guitar selecction.

And to not care what others play. why have care for what others here play is a good question also

Raul,

I don't care what guitar anyone else plays.

What I'm saying is it seems to me that people here do care about what brand other people play, and that factors into their choice of guitars.

RBSinTo

eh, guys, this is a Gibson forum, so most people here are Gibson enthusiasts/fan boys/idiots/ disciples.

And you wonder, that they talk about an artist playing a gibson?? Maybe some here should attend a forum for failed comedians or dedicated to   guitar-nerd-bashing.

Edited by littlejohnny
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, littlejohnny said:

eh, guys, this is a Gibson forum, so most people here are Gibson enthusiasts/fan boys/idiots/ deciples.

And you wonder, that they talk about an artist playing a gibson?? Maybe some here should attend a forum for failed comedians or dedicated to   guitar-nerd-bashing.

Agreed. It's become a very tired, worn out and predictable act performed by the same two people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1