Gibson Brands Forums

Leslie West.

Mutha

This is bad one, who didn't like Mountain?

Here's a bit from the Rolling Stone article I just read:

A turning point, he once said, was seeing Cream at the Village Theatre (later the Fillmore East) in 1967. “My brother said to me, ‘Let’s take some acid before we go,’ ” West told Blues Rock Review in 2015. “So we took LSD and all of a sudden the curtain opens up and I hear them playing ‘Sunshine of Your Love’ and I see Eric Clapton and his buckskin jacket. I said, ‘Oh my God, we really suck.’ After that, I started really practicing and practicing.”

One of the greats.  I was fortunate enough to see him a couple of times; back in the early 70s (the bill was Pink Floyd, the Faces and Mountain!)  and then this century - to my complete amazement - he played at Farnham Maltings (very near me) as Mountain, with Corky Laing.  During that concert there was a young kid down the front with his dad, and in the middle of a solo Leslie West bent down towards the kid and played all the basic CAGED chords to him.  I've never seen any guitarist or rock star do that before.  A wonderful moment, and we all applauded wildly.   He is much missed already.

R.I.P. 

Edited by jdgm