Gibson Brands Forums

New 2021 Fender stuff

Rabs

Other guitar player in a band I was in last year had a Tele Ultra, Texas Tea is the color.  Just a beautiful piece of work, just what you expect from them people for 2 grand.  The compound of the radius just gives me fits with my grip right between 9th and 15th, an area I'm in a lot.  It forces me to adjust every time I grab it in that area.  On like a dozen of them, so it is a consistent "problem" for me on all of them.  It's not a problem though, it just isn't for me, lots and lots of guitar players like that.

rct

1 hour ago, rct said:

You need an Esquire.

rct

Yeah. 
This is true, rct.
Or, mebbe I'm just a guitar addict. 

I already have a pine body Esquire of sorts, the one that Patrick Gentile built a few years ago. 
It's a really great guitar. 
I love how versatile it is. 

And then I have that awesome sporty Indy T-2  jobber, with a TV Jones-style pickup in it. 

But truth be told, ever since I sold off everything that ever had a P-90 in it, I'm starting to long for one, and justifying this new one would be quite a trial.
Or, who knows?
😜

gentile-tele6-jpg.802325

xdtf8o1uiwvabk89ksjn.jpg

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Losing the e strings off the edge.

Tele string spacing is the worst culprit.

(my latest) Tele TC90. Spacing ok! 🙂. But excess edge rolling reverts to the original problem [sad]. 

I lived the bad string spacing/mis-aligned bridge/three screw neck problems, and was pretty vocal to them about those problems.  I would say the days of most Fender strings falling off the edges of the board have been gone for a good 20, 20 plus years.  If you mean the width of the nut and the string spacing that is required, I get it, it can be difficult if you use other guitars with wider nuts/string spacing.

Long time ago in the old usenet days I was oft quoted thusly:

I use Fenders because I love them, I hate Fenders because I use them.

They do, to this day, have their persnicketyness problems that I remedy almost as soon as they are home.

rct

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rct said:

I lived the bad string spacing/mis-aligned bridge/three screw neck problems, and was pretty vocal to them about those problems.  I would say the days of most Fender strings falling off the edges of the board have been gone for a good 20, 20 plus years.  If you mean the width of the nut and the string spacing that is required, I get it, it can be difficult if you use other guitars with wider nuts/string spacing.

Long time ago in the old usenet days I was oft quoted thusly:

I use Fenders because I love them, I hate Fenders because I use them.

They do, to this day, have their persnicketyness problems that I remedy almost as soon as they are home.

rct

Once I get a new Martin home I take it to my luthier for a quick neck reset and to glue on the binding that has became unglued and lower the sky high action and I'm good to go.

1 hour ago, rct said:

I get them home, steam them apart, and put them back together with certified organic free range hide glue.  I can't sleep until I do.

rct

Silver-back Gorilla Glue is the new certified organic free range hide glue. Its as strong as a chimp that can rip your face off.

1 hour ago, rct said:

I get them home, steam them apart, and put them back together with certified organic free range hide glue.  I can't sleep until I do.

rct

with organic free range bone nut & wild trees too I'll warrant. That much tone would be overwhelming to a cheap guitar champion like me. I've become used to pepsi can bridges, plastic nuts, fake fingerboards and toxic cement. I don't even have tone in my fingers. 

I owned quite a few Fenders over the years and was able to adjust to them alright after playing the same Les Paul for over 20 years straight.  But the one thing that I can't believe they never improved on was the pickup selector switch on the Telecaster.  It is too close to the volume knob, and if you want to switch pickup positions mid song you almost have to stop picking and grab it with two fingers to move it.  Can't get your pinky between the switch and knob when you are on the bridge pickup and want to go to middle or neck.  Seems like a simple enough thing to fix after 70 years or so, but they refuse to do it.  I've seen a lot of guys that unscrew the knob off the pickup selector to get a little more room in there (or maybe they just lost the knob?)  It's just takes a flick of the hand if you want to go the other direction, but really tough to go from bridge to any other position 😡 

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Haha 1

They'll more than likely never change that.  They don't want people with 8 Teles to not buy another one so they can get a person with no Teles to only buy one.  Seriously.

I've used them my entire life and not ever noticed a problem.  

Buck up, Buck.  There's no switch placement crying in guitar playing.  lolz

rct

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, rct said:

They'll more than likely never change that.  They don't want people with 8 Teles to not buy another one so they can get a person with no Teles to only buy one.  Seriously.

I've used them my entire life and not ever noticed a problem.  

Buck up, Buck.  There's no switch placement crying in guitar playing.  lolz

rct

My guitars have no switches, and my bass I just turn up or down the volume and tone, no switch on a J Bass.