Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul headstock...what to do?

saturn

Some of you might remember my post before. My LP Studio Plus got knocked over and the headstock cracked. I had it repaired by gluing and it was great. For awhile, then the glue didn't hold and it started pulling back up. Guy said glue usually holds but not always.

So now I'm torn. Do I sink more money into a Studio to get a better repair or just cut losses? Even with the headstock I could probably get a few hundred $ for it, right? I still have the R7 Goldtop, but that would be my only LP. and it has sentimental value in addition to being a Custom Shop. I'd hate for that to get damaged at a gig. 

8 hours ago, saturn said:

I still have the R7 Goldtop, but that would be my only LP. and it has sentimental value in addition to being a Custom Shop. I'd hate for that to get damaged at a gig. 

That would be the only way I'd have it damaged.  All of them.  

Sell the broke one, gig the not broke one, look for more!

rct

I agree that pics would be helpful.

Now I realise that yours was a crack and not a clean break. This can be difficult because getting the glue in there is the trick.

I had the same problem with a hairline crack at the back of the (mahogany) neck. Simon, the luthier that I use, has repaired many. His repair entailed squeezing glue through the truss rod cavity. So sometimes it needs some ingenuity. He told me that mahogany usually breaks clean, and is easier to repair. Maple, though stronger, does not break clean and is more difficult to fix. 

I feel sure that someone could fix it.

4 minutes ago, rct said:

Nothing says audience appreciation like "...yeah...this is my crappy guitar...you should see the ones I have at home...".

rct

Gigging a crappy guitar is the new gigging a killer vintage guitar.

When I'm at home I only look at my D-41, it wasn't meant to be played. Its to fancy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, rct said:

I would take that thing out and at the very least get mildly vigorous with it on Wish You Were Here.

rct

No, he used a D-35 on that. Got one. Its not as fancy as the 41, so every once and a while I open the case of the 35 and just touch it a little.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

If you think a Gibson Les Paul Studio is a "crappy guitar" perhaps your nose became clogged with all that cork and it's starting to effect your judgement.  

If you think that is what I meant perhaps you should work on reading comprehension, context, and content.  Critical thinking and concept adaptation would probably help too.

rct

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Every gig has someone that wants to talk to you about your guitars.  Every all each every.  That's my <whatever>.  I have a much nicer <whatever> at home, I don't take it out.  So sure, it's one person in the building but the idea that a guitar player would actually say that is ridiculous to me.  

Playing them wears them out and can damage them, but that's what they are for.  Why waste 4 grand on a fancy Les Paul so you have to spend 1500 on a "cheaper" one to take out?  Makes no sense to me.  The sheer joy of playing that 57 RI would make it very hard for me to walk past it for the rest of my guitars.  I like having that problem, all too nice to leave home, not the other way around.

rct

4 minutes ago, rct said:

Every gig has someone that wants to talk to you about your guitars.  Every all each every.  That's my <whatever>.  I have a much nicer <whatever> at home, I don't take it out.  So sure, it's one person in the building but the idea that a guitar player would actually say that is ridiculous to me.  

Playing them wears them out and can damage them, but that's what they are for.  Why waste 4 grand on a fancy Les Paul so you have to spend 1500 on a "cheaper" one to take out?  Makes no sense to me.  The sheer joy of playing that 57 RI would make it very hard for me to walk past it for the rest of my guitars.  I like having that problem, all too nice to leave home, not the other way around.

rct

it's the same for me. I have some seriously nice guitars, as all of us here do ...  and while I don't pamper them, I don't abuse them either.  and when the inevitable dings, nicks, scrapes & buckle rash occurs I just accept it. 

but one thing I'm not sure has been mentioned. Saturn's R7 belonged to his best friend who has passed away. theres tremendous sentimental value to it.  

4 minutes ago, Karloff said:

it's the same for me. I have some seriously nice guitars, as all of us here do ...  and while I don't pamper them, I don't abuse them either.  and when the inevitable dings, nicks, scrapes & buckle rash occurs I just accept it. 

but one thing I'm not sure has been mentioned. Saturn's R7 belonged to his best friend who has passed away. theres tremendous sentimental value to it.  

Some one can steal a guitar from a gig, just as easy as they can from your house, probably more easily from your house. I know most of this has been about damaging it, but this might be a concern too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

25 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I am blessed with some stupid good guitars.  I don't exactly pamper them, I definitely don't abuse them, I need them, I rely on them to perform, so I have to take the care that requires.

Oh, sure, some guitar that has family or other value beyond a guitar I could see not taking it anywhere.  Maybe.  If I was Saturn's passed on best friend, and I'm not,  I'd want him to wail the tar out of that thing.

rct

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

As noted above, the "cheaper" one ended up with a smashed headstock.  Assuming the "fancy" one got the same amount of use in the same exact situations - it would have been a $4k guitar with a broken headstock.  

I'm not saying NEVER take it out.  Personally I would reserve it for the really good gigs and use the "cheaper" one for the all-nighter at Lenny's Clam Shack.  YMMV. 

Oh, were playing there. That is not a good gig. Let them hear my less superior guitar. Tomorrow  is a good good gig and that crowd is worthy of me playing  my good guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

As noted above, the "cheaper" one ended up with a smashed headstock.  Assuming the "fancy" one got the same amount of use in the same exact situations - it would have been a $4k guitar with a broken headstock.  

I'm not saying NEVER take it out.  Personally I would reserve it for the really good gigs and use the "cheaper" one for the all-nighter at Lenny's Clam Shack.  YMMV. 

I would keep them both in ordinary rotation.  Like, where we are going to be at doesn't matter, it's what I used last week and what I really want to use this week.

rct