Gibson Brands Forums

Artists who are known for using a J-45

Mr.Woody

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

bSI4Y6B.jpg

Not sure what this is or if its a Gibson. He usually has a Martin.

I think Jackson Browne uses a J-45's. Saw him once and I can't remember what he played other than the piano.

3 hours ago, Al Pike said:

Paul played a Guild F30. Not sure what the black guitar is.

Simon went black Yamaha for a while - this may be one of them.

Another heavy slope player would be the late great John Renbourn. He starts his rosewood saddled J-50 at 2:26.                                                                                                                                                                                                      And the master is in top^sounding^top^form. 

Don't overlook the chat between the 2 pieces of which especially #2 is stellar. 

Not unusual to switch tuners back then. The original white ovals weren't considered anything special and many believed other brands held pitch better.

20 hours ago, Mr.Woody said:

I know the J-45 is ubiquitous, but I didn't become a real Gibson fan until 3 years ago, so I'm not familiar with artists who are known for their use of a J-45 acoustic.

More specifically, are there well-know artists who ONLY use J-45's and not other model acoustics? For instance, I'm aware that Paul Simon used J-45s for a long time before moving on to something else (Martins?), and James Taylor used his J-50 (close enough) before moving onto Olson.

Thanks so much!!

12 hours ago, Mime said:

Aimee Mann has played J45s pretty much exclusively since around 2000.  She had previously played an old J160 that the airlines wrecked.  

Here she is not with a J-45, but ordering pancakes in The Big Lebowski.

WfkvO4m.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

The easier question to ask would probably be which artist has not played a J-45 in his career yet. Probably not very many.

I think the ones that never owned one, or borrowed one, or the ones that recorded in a studio that didn't have one. Probably a longer list than you think.

I don't think Zappa ever used one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think the ones that never owned one, or borrowed one, or the ones that recorded in a studio that didn't have one. Probably a longer list than you think.

I don't think Zappa ever used one.

There was a contentious thread a while back (that has since been removed) in which who played what was discussed. Being the uninvited to the party, punch bowl turd hurler that I am, I posted a long list of artists who only used Martin guitars over their careers. It was long and distinguished.

Mr. McCoy is kidding himself.

RBSinTo

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

There was a contentious thread a while back (that has since been removed) in which who played what was discussed. Being the uninvited to the party, punch bowl turd hurler that I am, I posted a long list of artists who only used Martin guitars over their careers. It was long and distinguished.

Mr. McCoy is kidding himself.

RBSinTo

Was it the one that spoke about Zappa and acoustics - and why was it removed ?? 

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

A severe barrage, Dave F ^ but have to say Mark's is the acoustic cannon called AJ.

Missed that. I’ll try to find another one. I think I got distracted by Kasey. 

Edited by Dave F

17 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Was it the one that spoke about Zappa and acoustics - and why was it removed ?? 

I hate that a-sshole and his Frank Zappa. What did Zappa ever do? Writes songs about dogs p-eeing. For the love of . . .

Sad face emoji guy came around again and sad faced me.  I need a tissue.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

I hate that a-sshole and his Frank Zappa. What did Zappa ever do? Writes songs about dogs p-eeing. For the love of . . .

For those here who still do not get your humor, sarcasm and history - You should have included a footnote disclosing the fact you originally appeared here as "FZfan".    Thought you'd also mentioned you had a room in your house filled with a hoard of FZ memorabilia, and been to more of his concerts than he had.    

And then there's your strange affliction.... I mean affection for Martin acoustics.   

10 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

For those here who still do not get your humor, sarcasm and history - You should have included a footnote disclosing the fact you originally appeared here as "FZfan".    Thought you'd also mentioned you had a room in your house filled with a hoard of FZ memorabilia, and been to more of his concerts than he had.    

No need to you just did. Guilty as charged. I think it is common knowledge among the guys who have been here a while who I was and now am. I've been here since 2012 or 13.  I saw Frank 3 times and Dweez twice. I have his albums and CD's. All the good stuff is tucked away in The Vault that I don't have to keys to. Joe Travers is the vaultmeister.

The " been to more of his concerts than he had" line is f-in funny.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

Can someone post the apparent short list of people who didn't use a J-45, since it is apparently not to long and we can close this sucker out. I mentioned one guy who didn't, so there may only be 5 or 6 we need to add and its a wrap.

32 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Can someone post the apparent short list of people who didn't use a J-45, since it is apparently not to long and we can close this sucker out. I mentioned one guy who didn't, so there may only be 5 or 6 we need to add and its a wrap.

1. Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, j45nick said:

The AJ goes pretty well with Mark's playing style.

Is that still Donovan's original J-45?

1 - Mister Mark can make anything sound good - and has been seen with a vintage D-18 lately.  
2 - No - you may recall it was stolen around 1970 and that he had a signature model made some years ago. The second in fact.