Gibson Brands Forums

Memphis 335 Truss Rod Cover

Korgis

I just purchased a 2019 Gibson Memphis 335 ...my dream guitar. QC is spot on but I noticed the truss rod cover looks to be the basic version rather than the stepped 2 ply with the f hole engraving that I ‘ve seen on these guitars. I’m wondering if it’s simply an error at the factory. So I contacted Gibson to order the proper part and they didn’t seem to know what I was referring to. I contacted Sweetwater. Same thing. I did a thorough search on the Internet and came up with squat. So my question is this: does anyone know what the deal is with this elusive little piece of plastic? 

16 hours ago, Korgis said:

I just purchased a 2019 Gibson Memphis 335 ...my dream guitar. QC is spot on but I noticed the truss rod cover looks to be the basic version rather than the stepped 2 ply with the f hole engraving that I ‘ve seen on these guitars. I’m wondering if it’s simply an error at the factory. So I contacted Gibson to order the proper part and they didn’t seem to know what I was referring to. I contacted Sweetwater. Same thing. I did a thorough search on the Internet and came up with squat. So my question is this: does anyone know what the deal is with this elusive little piece of plastic? 

If you go to the Lounge SteveFord just bought a 335 and it has the TRC you are talking about. You may want that TRC, but its just a piece of plastic to cover a nut. How can Gibson not know what you are talking about. They make the thing or at least had a company make it and they installed it. I've seen em on a few. I don't like em. I like just plain ones. That's me though. I had a BB King with a brass engraved one and took it off and bought a 3 ply B/W/B one.

The post is called the End Of The Covid Collection.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just a piece of plastic?

I THINK NOT!

That is the coveted TONE PLATE and no, Gibson will not sell you one separately so don't even ask as  they'll deny ever hearing of such a thing and will void your Warranty the second you get off the phone.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Got it, from Gibson's 2015 line up:

Truss Rod Cover
Style: Black and white bell with engraved F-Hole
Part Number: 430-19802

Damn, even the the part number! I’m impressed. Thanks so much. But I have a feeling they’ll say it’s discontinued or unavailable. 

• Like 1

I was under the impression that Memphis built hollow bodies came with that TRC. Now that Memphis is closed down & hollow body production has resumed at Nashville, they likely are no longer using it..... My two ES Les Pauls both had it in 2015 & 2016.

Edited by Grog

The aforementioned cover.

ACtC-3cVq-jomECoS-ITA7Pt0jKIIF1Kn73Y2Li-

Now I have a puzzle I've not been able to solve.  I have a 2015 reissue '54 ES-175D VOS with this Memphis cover on it.  Bought it new, came this way from Memphis.  Never seen this cover anywhere else.  Including on others of the this model of which there were supposedly only 50 made.  Gibson had no answers for me about this.

ACtC-3eHNJTGbcf_AQ-YyhmiktWZwwDRvosw432Z

1 hour ago, Korgis said:

Hey, that Memphis cover looks slick. I’m sure they’re just as elusive. 

I wouldn't say just as illusive.  I have a few of the models with F hole covers, and have seen many others.  But I've never seen another one that says Memphis on it.  I'm still trying to find out if and where they ever used that cover.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sunking101 said:

The F-hole TR covers look a bit pony. I had one on an old 335 of mine and swapped it for a plain one.

But how will people know you have F-holes on your guitar without seeing a $10 piece of plastic with an engraved shape of an F-hole?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2021 at 6:02 AM, merciful-evans said:

I was about to say that. 

I've been looking for one of these everywhere. You can get T-Shirts with this on too.

th?id=OIP._BlwqOKPlt_3VktDgvlGXQHaHa%26p

Yes, one can get a cover with custom text on it.  But that is not what mine is.  I'll say it again, it came from the factory with that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

It's possible the factory had a small run done up for that model but someone involved in that batch would have to pipe up.

I was so temped to order one that said T O N E last night but for $20 I'm too cheap.

That's the most logical explanation that they had a small run done.  But not for the model I have, because every other one I've seen of that model does not have one.  And I'd like to find *any* other Memphis guitar that came with one, but so far have not found any.  That's one of the reasons I've posted about it, hoping to find another somewhere.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

If you still have the QC sheet maybe Gibson can track down the person who did the scribble if they're still there?

It's unique enough to possiby be remembered unless it happened at the retailer level where someone made the swap.

They guy at the store he bought it from wanted it for his guitar so he can jack up the price when he sells it on Reverb.

Custom made F-hole truss rod cover make of rich Corinthian plastic.

• Like 1