Gibson Brands Forums

Effects

mihcmac

16 hours ago, Retired said:

I guess why I don't use pedals often is because the Tube amp has Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Tremolo, Varatone on it & thats all I need. It has a,  +DLY on the top setting.  I don't know what that means and have tried looking it up. I can't find out but it does sound great. Haha. 

Built in Effects do count as using Effects.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 1:04 PM, mihcmac said:

Built in Effects do count as using Effects.

I didn't know that? Thought it was just pedals. In that case, I have a slew of them on  the Fender Mustang ll amp. I do get that out once in a great while. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Retired said:

I didn't know that? Thought it was just pedals. In that case, I have a slew of them on  the Fender Mustang ll amp. I do get that out once in a great while. 

If you bought a new amp with no effects what would need to get some of the sounds of your old amp?

19 hours ago, mihcmac said:

If you bought a new amp with no effects what would need to get some of the sounds of your old amp?

If I bought a new amp, it would probably be another Vox. I used that one so much and played with all the effects to see what I could get and combine. It had about 80 effects.  I used Blues, California, Reverb, Delay, Loved Echo, British Invasion, it had acoustic, I wasn't into Flanger and many of them but I loved the options to play with it. I put my B9 Organ pedal on it and played with settings and played, House Of The Rising sun. Trying to get that organ sound to it. 

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I haven't had any gigs lately but when I did, my Fender Mustang III (v1) amp was a life saver with all the built in effects.   

Try not to feel so bad, I haven't played in any gigs in 50 years since I graduated from High School in 71, Lol.  Before I got the tube amp, I played the Mustang ll all the time, It was the replacement amp for the Vox that blew out.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wish I was better at using effects. This is probably all wrong, but here is my general band gig rig :

Guitar to Compressor (use as a cheat Boost) to MojMojo OD to Crybaby Wah  to Zoom MS 70 CDR ( only use chorus effect and Tuner function) to Amp input

Use MojoMojo for moderate gain where I can roll off Volume to clean up and use amps Gain channel for higher gain 

I used to try putting chorus, delay etc through Effects Loop, but it seemed more trouble than it was worth. Plus I like to use the Tuner function on my MS 70 as a cheat to Mute when needed and that doesn't work if going through Effects Loop.     

Edited by saturn
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, saturn said:

... Guitar to Compressor (use as a cheat Boost) to MojMojo OD to Crybaby Wah  to Zoom MS 70 CDR ( only use chorus effect and Tuner function) to Amp input

Use MojoMojo for moderate gain where I can roll off Volume to clean up and use amps Gain channel for higher gain ....

Saturn, I guess you like the MojoMojo?  In the video demos I've seen, it sounds like what I like in an OD.  I don't have any tc electronic stuff, but they seem to be highly regarded, and the MojoMojo is dirt cheap. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

Saturn, I guess you like the MojoMojo?  In the video demos I've seen, it sounds like what I like in an OD.  I don't have any tc electronic stuff, but they seem to be highly regarded, and the MojoMojo is dirt cheap. 

What I liked best was the price. [cool] But yes it works very well for a natural overdrive sound. Not really good for high gain or metal styles.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2021 at 8:09 PM, saturn said:

What I liked best was the price. [cool] But yes it works very well for a natural overdrive sound. Not really good for high gain or metal styles.  

I'm not a high gain or metal guy anyway.  I'll have to look under the couch cushions and in the pockets of my old sport coats.  I bet I can easily dig up 49 bucks.

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2021 at 1:16 AM, saturn said:

I wish I was better at using effects. This is probably all wrong, but here is my general band gig rig :

Guitar to Compressor (use as a cheat Boost) to MojMojo OD to Crybaby Wah  to Zoom MS 70 CDR ( only use chorus effect and Tuner function) to Amp input

Use MojoMojo for moderate gain where I can roll off Volume to clean up and use amps Gain channel for higher gain 

I used to try putting chorus, delay etc through Effects Loop, but it seemed more trouble than it was worth. Plus I like to use the Tuner function on my MS 70 as a cheat to Mute when needed and that doesn't work if going through Effects Loop.     

I think you're missing out on what a compressor can do for your sound over all by just using it as a boost.

Compressors, when used in line, can give you a nice clean sustain for rhythm.  I will help even out notes when your trying to articulate notes in chords. 

If you need a boost, I'd suggest something like a TC Spark or any of the dozens of clean boost pedals.  Even a GE-7 EQ would do well here too.  Neither are expensive, very effective

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

I think you're missing out on what a compressor can do for your sound over all by just using it as a boost.

Compressors, when used in line, can give you a nice clean sustain for rhythm.  I will help even out notes when your trying to articulate notes in chords. 

If you need a boost, I'd suggest something like a TC Spark or any of the dozens of clean boost pedals.  Even a GE-7 EQ would do well here too.  Neither are expensive, very effective

Thanks. I do use the Compressor to get some extra sustain on leads and such, but I know I'm not using it to it's full potential. It's kind of a cheapo that someone gave to me. Some day I'll invest in a higher quality one...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, saturn said:

Thanks. I do use the Compressor to get some extra sustain on leads and such, but I know I'm not using it to it's full potential. It's kind of a cheapo that someone gave to me. Some day I'll invest in a higher quality one...

There's some decent compressors for not a lot of cash.

I tend to set the level for unity, (meaning the pedal adds no boost in volume when engaged)  I set ratios of compression so that they ust give a bit of weight to the over all tone, and I keep it on most of the time.  Attack and Release controls will gauge how fast the compression will kick in "attack", (you want it fast) and how long the sustain will hang before it "releases".. these 2 are "set em and forget em" controls for me.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to use gobs of Pedals but have it down to just these for now.

Tuner 1st, Janglebox Compressor, TS-808 Tube Screamer, Boss Delay, Boss Fender 64 Reverb, Keeley 30 ms Double Tracker, Amp....... Less is more..

• Thanks 1

Most of my amps in the past had built in effects like chorus, phase, flange, echo, delay, and reverb, with switchable OD channels. These I fed with a Vox Wah, Digitech Whammy, TS5 SoundTank and a Boss OD1. Using P90's I was on the watch for anything creating any extra noise and eliminating it and reducing the amount of patch cables. My biggest offender was my favorite 20' cable and after discovering it I replaced them all with new heavy Roland cables. Now using tube amps, fewer effects and a minimal amount of cables.

My old 4 channel AVT150H, now history.....

W8bHSIs.jpg

Before this one I had a an AVT 2-75 combo that was stereo as well, the built in chorus and delay sounded excellent. My 2 new tube amps are much easier to carry around.

Edited by mihcmac

9 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Yeah my travel rig was 4 or 5 pedals.  At home it's nice to have it all hooked up cuz why not. 

I need to correct my Pedal Chain.. My Janglebox is first, then my Tuner..

4-5 is even better for a Travel rig! I’ve been think how I could do that... I would really like to get just the Guitar & a good Tube Amp...  Normally I use either a Vox AC-10, AC-15, Fender 65 PRRI or 65 DRRI... All 4 have Reverb.. Fenders also have Trem... Vox’s have Master Volume & Top Boost or Gain... Fenders are great for clean & Vox are great for some dirt... Would love a great 12 - 22 Watt Tube Amp that did both equally as good as Fender & Vox.. But, I haven’t found it yet...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I need to correct my Pedal Chain.. My Janglebox is first, then my Tuner..

4-5 is even better for a Travel rig! I’ve been think how I could do that... I would really like to get just the Guitar & a good Tube Amp...  Normally I use either a Vox AC-10, AC-15, Fender 65 PRRI or 65 DRRI... All 4 have Reverb.. Fenders also have Trem... Vox’s have Master Volume & Top Boost or Gain... Fenders are great for clean & Vox are great for some dirt... Would love a great 12 - 22 Watt Tube Amp that did both equally as good as Fender & Vox.. But, I haven’t found it yet...

Check out a tweed Fender style amp if you get a chance. Not something like a blues jr or Edge 5e3 but something as vintage accurate as possible. They go from Vox like breakup to Fender cleans effortlessly. 

most of them don’t have reverb or trem but I built a Weber “revibe” to address that and it’s pretty damn cool. To me the 6G15 style reverb sounds better than the reverb on the Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2021 at 8:09 PM, saturn said:

I can get that metal tone very easy on either amp, I mostly do it with "American Woman." I first play the introduction with my Ovation Acoustic which I love as its so ,'Blues.'  Then grab the electric guitar and Jam.  Really love playing that song.  Haha. My wife got up early this morning to run errands, and saw I was still in bed at 9:00 so she let me sleep with Sundance and left. I told her it was ok to wake me because one day I might not wake up and be dead! Her response was, "I looked and both of your feet were moving back and forth so I knew you weren't dead.   "I must have been rock n rolling in my sleep?" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know it is not popular around here, but ... solid-state "effects processors" have really come a VERY long way and are becoming increasing more popular by the minute.  This is especially true in the last few years with their amp modelling, effects functionality, and super-slick user interfaces (e.g., Kemper, Helix. Boss, etc.).  Where maybe ten years ago, they may have had a "bunch of available effects", there was often issues with the control of them and possibly some questionable tones.  Some were good and usable, and some maybe not so much.  But, how things have changed on this front.  These days, guitar processors provide a HUGE selection of many different kinds of each type of effect, amp modelling capabilities, and the ability to control the "effects order".  One may possibly choose between 8 different wah pedals, 14 different delays, 6 different chorus pedals, etc. ... with the ability to move the effect in the order chain, and the ability to easily manipulate EACH of the effect's parameters of EACH selected effect ... all done via powerful and easy-to use computer or phone/tablet interfaces (or on the unit itself) -- all with the ability to be also controlled by well-designed floor-board controllers. 

This powerful "guitar processor" technology has additionally filtered down to the available solid-state amps, too, with (just as examples) the Boss Katana and Line 6 Spider-V amp lines providing hugely powerful "guitar processing" along with tonally excellent amps, increasing their current line of amps' functionality by astronomical (not "minor evolutionary") strides.  Very interestingly, many "Line 6 haters" have unknowingly purchased Yamaha amps, not realizing that Yamaha owns Line 6 and heavily leverages Line 6's technology into Yamaha's amp lines, singing the praises of their awesome Yamaha amps all the way.   Additionally, Fender has opted to not enter the "guitar processor" market, but -- in addition to their well-known solid-state Mustang amp line -- instead has moved forward strongly with their "Tone Master" amp line, re-creating simple-to-use solid-state versions of their famous amp models (Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb, etc) with new modeled non-tube versions, providing cheaper, lighter, and higher functionality versions of their existing tube amps.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I lived in the Transistor world for a long time and every year it got better migrating to Chip Sets and now full on Processors. In order to be able get enough practice time in with my last band I got a Roland Micro Cube, I didn't want to be confined to the practice room where my Marshall lived. It was more fun to find someplace on the 100's of miles of coast to use my Cube. Over time I started adding to them to enhance my sound in different situations. Finding that using the effects (Chorus Phase Flange Trem Delay Reverb) set slightly different on each amp created a very nice Wall Of Sound effect. I found that my Roland's got a surprisingly big sound running this way that I never really got tired of.  The Cube has 6 amp models of which my favorite was Rectifier, but when using eternal OD's I set them on JC-Clean or Black Panel. They are starting to get old but I still use them for off grid.

PmPpMj6.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

In order from Guitar to Amp (2-Pedalboards): Tuner, Acoustic Pedal, Compression Pedal (Used for Lead Boost or heavier distortion), Grunge Pedal (used for heavy distortion like Black Sabbath, Metallica, etc.) MXR EVH Phase, Harmonizer (rarely used but set for a keyboard sound) Cry-Baby Wah, Morley Volume Wah Boost Pedal (never use the Morley wah, sometimes kick on the Boost for a crunchier distortion) I use the volume pedal a lot for volume swells/ Xanadu etc.) , Chorus (almost always on, especially for RUSH), Delay, Flanger, Looper (never use), MXR 6-Band Equalizer (always on).

I also have a Talk Box, but rarely use it because I don't have a PA System to run my Mic through.  And an E-Bow, again rarely used.

Everything through the front of my amp, my amp does not have an FX Loop.

By the way, I just changed my Pick-Up Toggle Switch, on my Les Paul, from Amber to White.  The amber one broke.  It didn't affect my tone at all. 😂

Edited by LPguitarman
  • Thanks 1

My Deluxe 900 had 3 switchable pre-amps that each could have any one of the 7 amp models assigned to to them and a mixture of effects. I originally got this one as a backup if my Marshall fry'd.  Later I actually preferred the sound of my Roland's, sometimes used this one with them to add a little bottom. It still works but collecting dust now.

V7DbvdR.jpg

Edited by mihcmac