Gibson Brands Forums

Some Sad News - My SJ-200 Standard is Being Replaced

BoSoxBiker

My SJ-200 had 2 two issues from the day I got it. I should have sent it back, but was just so happy to be getting an SJ-200 that I made up a jillion excuses to keep it instead of returning it. Some here know the extent I went to to make it into a player and sound great. I replaced the nut with better bone this Spring and it really took off. Along the way, I caused some cosmetic damage that I was going to have to pay for.

So with the guitar needing some cosmetic repair and the fussing I was continuing to do keeping the neck just right, I had two choices. #1: Sell the SJ-200 at a discount and apply all of that towards a Historic Collection 1957 Maple SJ-200, or #2: pay for the cosmetic fix and get Gibson (or pay whomever) to fix the neck issue and use the funds I had to get a Dove or Maple Hummingbird. I went with door #2.

<long story made shortish>

So, what started as an exercise to sell and upgrade or fix and buy new ultimately became a warranty replacement. It's taken a few days to sink in.

I was offered an Autumnburst SJ-200 Standard, but did not like the finish. I went with the SJ-200 Original, as it has bone nut and saddle and my preferred Sunburst. Also a 4-bar mustache bridge and the 50's look - just no hide glue anywhere nor the ever so important to me baked top. I offered to pay the difference to get the '57 Historic model, but they said they had no way to take the payment and it had to be close value and stuff like that.  Kind of a bummer, but I can't be at all upset with it. 

Gibson really stepped up on this one. Kudos to them, so far. I've not gotten my replacement yet for obvious reasons, but hopefully it gets here fine and dandy and completes what I hope to be a story with a happy-ending. I'm even happier now after seeing this video and hearing the tone, it's much better new than mine was. I know it's a blonde and they don't all sound exactly alike, but it's promising.

• Like 1

I love my Historic 1957 SJ-200 Vintage Sunburst but that blonde Original is still a mighty nice looking guitar - as you pointed out, it has the 4-bar insert bridge and keystone tuners. It even has the vintage style wider white border truss rod cover. It's a great guitar.

In 2007, I returned a SG purchased new in 2002, due to a split in the mahogany body.  I was offered a choice of equivalent replacements, and the whole experience with Nashville’s repair & customer service departments was totally professional.

I’m guessing you’re in good hands & it all will work out well.  Although you’ve crossed the major hurdles, the hardest part now is just waiting!

I am literally the opposite to you. If there is even the slightest blemish or imperfection I'm trying to return it... even if I love the way it sounds and plays. lol But I'm glad all worked out for you. Sometimes, life just doesn't want to be what we want it to be and we have to conceded. The good news is that, well... we still have our lives and get to breath another day. I'm sure you'll be happy with the guitar and if you're not, you can always sell it and fund something else. 

Edited by Sevendaymelee

I had one warranty issue with Gibson… perhaps 15 years back... They were fixing a J200 I owned under warranty, but lost the guitar. They sent me a stunning new one with no griping or whining… no whining in taking care of the warranty issue, and no whining as they sent a new guitar.  Fishman is like this too by the way. Amazing customer service.

Edited by Salfromchatham

Thanks for the encouraging words on this, y'all. I had read many things in this forum over the years, both rants and raves alike.

The only complaint I had was addressed and remedied in private. I can imagine they are busy as can be and twice as stressed on top of learning a new(ish) entity such as the whole Repair and Restoration shop. Who talks to whom and about what and how to handle gray areas of responsibilities that happen. 

14 hours ago, Dave F said:

I had one go back and they hand picked one off the line for me that was stellar. 

I've read many stories to this end. After the assessment and determination call, I had a few hours to shift gears from repair to replacement. I had thought the next step would be something along these lines. However, my situation is more along the lines of waiting until one is available. Such are things during times of high demand and broken supply chains. 

He said he had no visibility into Bozeman's stock numbers or due dates(exact term forgotten). He ultimately described the process as me selecting the model, him placing the order and him sending me shipping information when ready. Given current realities, I do understand this approach. Unless the time is unreasonable, it does not change my selection.  

13 hours ago, bobouz said:

In 2007, I returned a SG purchased new in 2002, due to a split in the mahogany body.  I was offered a choice of equivalent replacements, and the whole experience with Nashville’s repair & customer service departments was totally professional.

I’m guessing you’re in good hands & it all will work out well.  Although you’ve crossed the major hurdles, the hardest part now is just waiting!

Yes, the choices. It took quite a few short emails to understand what I underlined in your reply was what was happening. The Historic Collection(HC) sloped offerings were options. Having my HC-Prewar RW SJ-200 has sold me on that whole Vintage / HC line. Getting a Love Dove further sold me on the baked tops. I knew, though, that not having a Maple SJ-200 would eat at me. 

-------------------

Some further thought on the topic of not being able to pay them more and get a '57 Historic baked top w/Maple. If they did allow such a thing, imagine the abuse some folks might try to get away with? Almost chilling to think about it.

29 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Thanks for the encouraging words on this, y'all. I had read many things in this forum over the years, both rants and raves alike.

The only complaint I had was addressed and remedied in private. I can imagine they are busy as can be and twice as stressed on top of learning a new(ish) entity such as the whole Repair and Restoration shop. Who talks to whom and about what and how to handle gray areas of responsibilities that happen. 

I've read many stories to this end. After the assessment and determination call, I had a few hours to shift gears from repair to replacement. I had thought the next step would be something along these lines. However, my situation is more along the lines of waiting until one is available. Such are things during times of high demand and broken supply chains. 

He said he had no visibility into Bozeman's stock numbers or due dates(exact term forgotten). He ultimately described the process as me selecting the model, him placing the order and him sending me shipping information when ready. Given current realities, I do understand this approach. Unless the time is unreasonable, it does not change my selection.  

Yes, the choices. It took quite a few short emails to understand what I underlined in your reply was what was happening. The Historic Collection(HC) sloped offerings were options. Having my HC-Prewar RW SJ-200 has sold me on that whole Vintage / HC line. Getting a Love Dove further sold me on the baked tops. I knew, though, that not having a Maple SJ-200 would eat at me. 

-------------------

Some further thought on the topic of not being able to pay them more and get a '57 Historic baked top w/Maple. If they did allow such a thing, imagine the abuse some folks might try to get away with? Almost chilling to think about it.

so what exactly was wrong with the neck that justified a replacement??  I don't think I read anything that mentioned the root problem?

22 hours ago, kidblast said:

so what exactly was wrong with the neck that justified a replacement??  I don't think I read anything that mentioned the root problem?

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

You had it for awhile, as I recall.  Was the problem evident from day one?   Curious about the extent of the issue - so as to get a better understanding of what is covered by Bozeman. 

I have great difficulty describing this on the whole, but I'll try. I've been trying to for over a day now, but detail just looks confusing to me. I trimmed what I had and pasted it below for now.

Yes, it was a twisted neck, mostly at the top of the board on the treble side, and a much more twisted head-stock in the same direction. It was more than a little bit of twisted neck, though. The exactness that had to happen for both playability factors and to keep strings at a decent relative parallel and free from interference was impressive. (Think in terms of this as parallel to the fret-board from side to side and top to bottom and then over the body). I think the best way to describe it is to say that it felt like I was dealing with two distinct necks in one. It was strange. Making the treble strings matter was a challenge. They never felt significant like they do on my other guitars.

During the assessment discussion over the phone, I think he/they saw something that caused pause and the conversation changed. I got put on hold for a few brief minutes and then was informed of the replacement decision. I had every bit of sense that it was the result of an "ah ha!" moment.

In 2019, about 6-7 months after I got it, the store I ordered through advised me to either send it back or keep it and see if it gets better. The words might have been to see if it 'works itself out'. I didn't think to ask if they had actually ever seen one "work itself out".  I think I was looking for any excuse to keep it. Advanced onset adolescence? I did get a nice pat on the back for keeping it so playable. This was quite an embarrassing confessional. 

And now it looks like that I still have some learning to do about how nice a Maple SJ-200 can sound. Based on videos like the one I posted above, anyhow. Not complaining.....

Well, it's a b-day and I have gee-tars and my home project studio calling my name and all with no chores getting in the way. My Dove and RW SJ-200 are on the stand and I'll have me a large time after I regress 50 years for an extra crunchy PB&J for lunch. Or a salad. Nahhhhhhhh!!! 

• Like 3