Gibson Brands Forums

Swimming pools and guitars

uncle fester

We got a little salt water swimming pool last year.  I've been super cautious about making sure I'm dry / changed out of my bathing suit before picking up the J45 to make sure I don't cause any issues with the finish....  but this gets to be a drag on those long hot days lounging by the pool.  

Am I being over cautious or just doing what I should to avoid damaging the finish on the guitar?  Thanks all for any input.

3 hours ago, meanstreak said:

Probably, but just to be sure buy a beater guitar you can play by the pool!

I have a beater..... 1969 Gibson Jubilee..... it plays so nice but approaches Trigger in looks.

It isn't a booming as the Dreads are, but a beautiful guitar to play on the beach, by the pool, in the forest, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Thanks both of you,  good ideas - makes sense.  Maybe i'll check out a rainsong...  never looked in that direction before

I have a RainSong parlor for all the riskier playing situations, and, unlike beater wood guitars I have owned for such occasions, I love its sound and playability and often reach for it in the non-risky situations, too. (Plus, the parlor size is great for traveling.)

Beater guitars don’t work for me— I still need to like what’s in my hands and coming into my ears, even if I’m just noodling around outside, etc.

My two cents…

• Like 1

Is it a salt water water pool, or are you using saltwater generators to make chlorine?

there is a difference.

either way playing your guitar near the pool won’t hurt it per say.  There are of course other considerations, like the weather.

Edited by Paul14
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AnneS said:

Beater guitars don’t work for me— I still need to like what’s in my hands and coming into my ears, even if I’m just noodling around outside, etc.

My two cents…

I think that sums it up well...  the beater kind of bums me out and makes me wish I was playing the other.  I do like the rain song idea, have to go check them out

1 hour ago, dhanners623 said:

Get a Farida slope. They are well-built guitars, don't cost a lot, and a poly finish will outlive you.

Before the pool question started, this was the direction I was headed just to have a second guitar left in alternate tunings.   Maybe will still go this direction.

Not keen on blue guitars, but when it's hot like right now this one gets acceptance. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ddcnk9J.jpg

Wonder why the water doesn't disappear through the hole, why the kerfing is visible , , , and why the bridge doesn't reach from edge to edge. . 

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Not keen on blue guitars, but when it's hot like right now this one gets acceptance. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ddcnk9J.jpg

Wonder why the water doesn't disappear through the hole, why the kerfing is visible , , , and why the bridge doesn't reach from edge to edge. . 

My RainSong is actually blue (but I can’t swim laps!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvhqip31typ4am4/IMG_1824.jpg?dl=0

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

In a peculiar way some sort of summer atmosphere over this tune, , , , isn't there. .

True, not exactly a sunny poolside song, but everything seemed to have the quiet decline of fall/autumn for Nick D.  But what a unique tone he had.

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

Apropos - the summer here is tropically hot'n'wet. High temperatures and severe showers - the guitars must be full of water = H2O

On paper this should make them sound heavier and duller. That is if we stick to the the-drier/vintage-the-better-theory.  However they all come across like dreams.

May appear slightly fatter, but man have they body, core and soul. Experienced it before and never quite figured out the logic. Maybe it's just a matter of taste.                                                                                                               Well, , , I like the dry winter-voice too      >->->        WIN-WIN