Gibson Brands Forums

I want to make melodies

sparquelito

So I ordered a used (2011-ish) Gibson Melody Maker off of Reverb the other evening. 

My wife hasn't asked why I have sold off two electric guitars lately, and am poised to sell an electric bass guitar. 
But I'm sure she knows that I'm just making room for a new acquisition. 

I'm very excited. 
I have seen a variety of videos of Brian Ray playing a similar (white with black trim) SG Junior, and this one appeals to me in a similar fashion. 

Given that I'm fond of less knobs, (my Les Paul Custom Studio and my Firebird Zero only have two apiece) this one just might be perfect for me. 
😬

A full review and photos to come, after she arrives. 
Fingers crossed that she comes undamaged. 
The seller is using UPS, which is not my favorite shipper. 
😞

FwmAPRC.png

Cute.

No, not just the guitar, but the way you titled the thread, then off the bat announced you bought a guitar that's known as the "Melody Maker".  [wink]

Fully realizing(I hope) that despite it's name it won't really do much more to help you make melodies than any other guitar.  [cool]

But I've always liked that SG design.  My cheap-o '67 Kalamazoo  KG-2 had a sorta SG style(as far as body shape went) but not as spiffy. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NighthawkChris said:

Interesting… Input jack is right near the bridge? That might bother me, but that’s why we are all different and like different stuff I guess. Either way man hope you enjoy the guitar when it gets in your hands. 

Yeah, I'm planning on using an L-shaped guitar cable jack in that thing, to keep it low profile., as I'm a very energetic and percussive player. 

I looked around;
Gibson made four Melody Maker reissues/tributes/whatever you call them, from 2011 to 2013. 
Traditional Les Paul shaped,
SG,  like the one I ordered,
Explorer shaped.,
and,  a Flying V model. 

This SG beastie really appeals to me for some reason. 

😗

preview.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Yeah, I'm planning on using an L-shaped guitar cable jack in that thing, to keep it low profile., as I'm a very energetic and percussive player. 

I looked around;
Gibson made four Melody Maker reissues/tributes/whatever you call them, from 2011 to 2013. 
Traditional Les Paul shaped,
SG,  like the one I ordered,
Explorer shaped.,
and,  a Flying V model. 

This SG beastie really appeals to me for some reason. 

😗

preview.jpg

Well you probably could take the cord and loop it through where the strap fastens to the butt of the body and you’d think nothing of it. It’s probably a great sounding guitar… don’t know, never played one. But again hope it turns out well!

Well, the wife loves the photos of the inbound SG Melody Maker. 
So I have that going for me. 

Sold off that P-bass the other evening, and today I sold off yet another solid body electric, a Fender Duo Sonic. 
All told, I have divested three guitars and a bass this week. 

Maybe I'm finally thinning down the herd around here. 
Starting to eyeball some other guitars that don't get played much. 

The UPS package tracker says the SG will show up tomorrow. 
Fingers crossed for a beautifully-undamaged guitar. 

😑

Oh man. 
Happy day. 

She arrived an hour ago. 
I unboxed her, and she is pristine, and more to my concerns, undamaged. 

Brand new condition, for a ten year old guitar. 
But that's how she was advertised on Reverb. 
Plastic still on the pickguard. 
Neck and fret ends are smooth and supple. 
Everything is brand new. 

All the case candy still in the padded Gibson gig bag, with the final QC inspection sign-off on 2 November 2011. 
Nobody ever played this guitar. 
Not a scratch or ding on her. 

I need to call Hyperium Guitar Shop in Round Rock, Texas, and thank them for taking such good care of this odd, weird, wonderful guitar. 

(Full review to follow, after she gets dusted, checked-out, tuned up, and played.)
🙂

56qxHo0.jpg

• Like 2

She waxed up really nice, and the plastic stuff came off the pickguard really well. 

Plugged her into my Crate V18, clean and dirty, and I must say, she's a little more versatile than I had anticipated. 
Warmer than expected. 

Dirty, I played thru some AC/DC (Shook Me All Night Long), and that was entirely great. 
Appropriate, in any case. 
Crunchy, crisp, soaring harmonics. 
Gibson. 

Played some original jazzy stuff clean, and I was pretty happy. 
Had to strum and pluck up the neck a bit to take the bite off of things, but all in all, a great sounding guitar. 

I'm one happy customer. 
And she's happy in her new home with her brother and sister Gibsons (low-price points, all three, admittedly). 

No R-9's or Custom Shop Gibsons around here, and that's just fine by me. 

😃

kfnX564.jpg

• Like 2