Gibson Brands Forums

Keep or Sell: 1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom

dsquared314

Curious what people think it's worth.  My parents bought for me in 2002 so there is sentimental value, but I rarely play it.  We had it appraised at Gruhn Guitars in 2003 and worth $1650.  It did not come with original case, pick-up covers, nor pick guard.  I was young and foolish changed the wiring so the humbuckers could be controlled individually like a strat; however, recently had a professional put it back to original and put a new toggle switch in.  I have not changed out the humbuckers and the professional felt confident they were the original, I didn't get the pictures of the S/N on the back of them; however, it can be done.

Any ideas of what it is worth?  What is the outlook for these guitars, is it worth keeping for another 10 years.  Thanks for any input and reading my post.

On the rare possibility, someone reading this has one of the following: Gottlieb Spiderman / Gottlieb Hulk/ Atari Superman pinball machine and wants this guitar, please let me know.

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

790C0D0D-3859-4726-B403-CB3B446AA3A0.jpg

IMG_2365.png

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

Prices have almost doubled since 2003 so it will be worth more than $1650 now.  This is a 'Norlin' Gibson and they are slowly increasing in value.

If the 3-pickup configuration is original, the guitar top may have been black to start with and the pickups would have had covers, as noted in the Gruhn appraisal.

It has been refretted.  As there have been several mods in its lifetime they would affect the value.

Best wishes!

Could definitely get more than $1650 for it and the right price will sell that quickly as you post it. As always have to do research to figure out what similar guitars are selling for and/or have sold for in recent days. Start high, then gradually reduce price. The guitar market I have learned is a lot of made up value. You are playing the card that you have something that someone cannot live without so to speak so you’re waiting for that buyer. But mods and non original stuff set aside will affect value, but still you will get a bit more than $1650 I believe. It takes time, patience, and research to sell guitars for the right price from a seller’s perspective. 

Cool looking old LP.  Not a normal top finish so as mentioned may have had the paint removed.  But if that is the case they did a nice job.  Norlin era volute and pancake body with 3 pickups all contribute to it's uniqueness.  But if you don't play it and are willing to trade it for a pinball machine then I think you might as well sell it and let someone else get some use from it.  Used guitar values are up right now, but as is always the case it's worth what someone is willing to pay.  I'd list it for about $3K and negotiate with anyone interested in buying.

4 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Cool looking old LP.  Not a normal top finish so as mentioned may have had the paint removed.  But if that is the case they did a nice job.  Norlin era volute and pancake body with 3 pickups all contribute to it's uniqueness.  But if you don't play it and are willing to trade it for a pinball machine then I think you might as well sell it and let someone else get some use from it.  Used guitar values are up right now, but as is always the case it's worth what someone is willing to pay.  I'd list it for about $3K and negotiate with anyone interested in buying.

Thank you

17 minutes ago, dsquared314 said:

Thanks everyone.  It's a hard decision.  Currently, keeping it unless rare possibility for trade on a dream pinball machine.  

Ohhh!....  well pinball wizardness and stuff aside...  I'd still keep it...  then again.   this from a guy with like 20 guitars in da house and not one pinball machine   go figger.. 🤪

Edited by kidblast

• 1 month later...

@kidblast, haha bought another pin last month  gottlieb "300", not my dream pin but needed another project.  Still have the guitar, put it on reverb, took to local guitar shop $160 to get it all back to original and working properly.  dealing with people is draining though.  I would display it but with kids and dogs not a good idea.  but it sounded amazing when I plugged it up  (marshall 12" all tubes)

Edited by dsquared314