Gibson Brands Forums

NWPD........ a mini monster

mihcmac

My Vox Wah was getting old, creaky and noisy. Time to try a Mini CryBaby. Nice and quiet, the Vintage M setting sounds kind of like my Vox.

CrybabyMini-large.jpg

Today was the my first time in a brick&mortar music store, since they rolled up the streets.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

The Mini is quite small, I used one for a long while.  I'm using a CryBaby Junior now.  Twice the length of the Mini, still smaller and lighter than a full size Wah.  The Junior has an ON light too, which is really helpful.

rct

Edited by rct
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

It may just be the photo, but it looks sort of short?  Is it easy to use - the old wahs from back in the day were usually at least 12 or 14 inches long as I recall.  Maybe that's why it's called "mini"?

Yeah, I have an old Dunlop Crybaby if this is what you are referring to.  It works still - aside from the fact that I have had to pull apart the internal pot and clean (spray) it out with contact cleaner a couple times...  Then again, I've had it for almost 30 years and works like it did on day one - again aside from having to clean it out.  And yes the pot that makes the "wah" thing work is not supposed to be opened up - I'm a rebel!  But I did it and I did it justice.  But all that set aside, this Dunlop I have is a brick, haha!  It adds some weight to my pedal board...  Maybe it is time to get something smaller. 

• Like 1

It is small for my size 10's, I am adapting to it and it does work really well. I rarely shoes but I can see if I wore something with heals it could present a problem. Generally I center the back of my arch over the hinge swivel with my heel hanging over the back a bit, its quite comfortable. The cast housing is hefty for its size and helps make it feel stable. Much less noise than my old Vox 847 and just that issue made it worth upgrading. It really doesn't seem awkward at all to use and will make my gig bag a lot lighter. 🙂

Also the Vintage M setting seems put the Vox warble in the right place..

Edited by mihcmac

I still have a near-mint early 80s Jen Crybaby with the stupid vinyl bag they came in and the box.  It has a mini-jack mains input, I never got it changed.  I have no idea if it has a Fasel inductor but don't think it's red.

Sounds ok, must give it some use, maybe sell it.  I went off wah a bit probably because of my own limitations with the thing; tried it once in the band but couldn't find a place for it.

Modern wahs with their knobs and switches are far more versatile.   The Meatball autowah/envelope filter I had was more like a synth module.  Prices have doubled since I sold it!![huh]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

Well after a few days using the Cry Baby Mini, I don't seem to have any issues with the small size. It came with a special hex wrench for adjusting the tension on the pivot, have to see if it gets loose after using it for while. So far so good.

Nicely packaged and much better jacks than my old Vox.

V0kmrJ1x4RWlWcrWPrsUyu2IUvvDkNpdUsTj1MEh  The 3-way mod switch L M H settings

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@mihcmac I’m tempted to try one out… like I said my old brick adds some significant weight to my pedal board. And yes I want it mounted on there because it is just easier that way haha! 😁

You may want to compare it to the Cry Baby Jr as well, it is sized somewhere between the full size and the mini.

I'm going to try the H High setting for a few days...

Back in the day before there was much solid state stuff going on I had one of these Fender Fuzz Wah pedals.  It also had a volume pedal function by sliding the black rubber part left or right.  One button for fuzz tone, the other for wah-wah function.  I didn't remember that it had a battery, must not have ever had to replace it?  Don't know what happened to it - I rarely throw stuff like that out so maybe got ripped off or lost in a move sometime.  Anyway prices sure have gone up I'm sure I didn't pay more than $40 for it back around '68 - '70.

Vintage OG 1970s FENDER FUZZ WAH VOLUME Closet Queen! Fullerton CA chrome pedal | eBay

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well I have been enjoying the Mini for a while now on the H setting, I'm changing to the M setting now as it seems to put the squelch in a more familiar position like my Vox's. The small size works for me but I think that someone coming from a a full sized Wah may adapt to a Junior easier, specially if performing on stage.

Edited by mihcmac

I’ve owned just about every wah ever made, including all the ones mentioned here. 
The Ibanez Weeping Demon beats them all IMO.  It does several things that these other ones do not. 
I particularly do not like mini wahs.  They don’t feel right under my foot.  That’s why mines sitting in the bottom of a closet.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The things I do enjoy, one being the simplicity of a smaller pedal, the new improved tech / hardware and in particular the sound. So far, after reseting the switch to M,  is working good for me. Like I mentioned earlier if you are performing onstage you may prefer an easier to find larger pedal.

I got the first Wah pedal introduced in 66 by Thomas Organ and produced by Vox, also acquired a Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone shortly after, the two opened a whole new world for me. I have had pretty much tried everything that has come down the pike since then and my favorite has always been the Vox pedals. Although I did like the Wah sound in my ME 50.

Note that my opinion is highly subjective, a sound that I think my ears are looking for, remembering how damaged they are from long exposure to very high volume levels..   🤨

Edited by mihcmac

• 5 weeks later...

Still using the "M" setting , I mod'd my pedal to move the mid squelch farther back by turning the potentiometer cog wheel farther forward giving me more range on the high end. This seems to make it respond more like my Vox. So far so good...

Vi3vEEJ.jpg