Gibson Brands Forums

Twang Gang

I have been looking for a maple body dread with a a short scale and they are hard to come by.  Then last week came an email from Sweetwater about an exclusive they had built by Gibson which is a quilted maple Hummingbird so I had to jump on it.  It arrived today and is exactly what I was looking for.  Has a really nice crisp maple tone without being too bright or trebly.  Rounded C neck with 12" radius and 24.75 scale on a rosewood board,  so exactly what I wanted.  For some reason Sweetwater had them stained "Viper Blue" and I would much rather see a maple guitar in a natural finish so you could see the grain, but was mainly concerned with the tone and it has that in spades.  The color turned out to be better looking in person than in photos and since it sounds just like I wanted I can live with the hue.  A few differences from my "original" Bird in that it has Grover rotomatic tuners and a plain truss rod cover which don't matter to me either.

dlmMwDX.jpgJGCR02k.jpgVWaFn67.jpgFfHIVU5.jpgZvxNPBF.jpg

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 1

Very nice, and congratulations! I saw those last week and was wondering what they looked like in person. More of that beautiful maple quilting showing in your pic than those on line. Not usually a fan of colored guitars, but I like the way the color works on that one. Maple on the back and sides of a HummingBird sounds like a great combination. Just when I thought my GAS was gone... Enjoy that beautiful new guitar!

The difference in sound is subtle but distinct.  Unfortunately I don't really have a way to record A/B comparison and put it up on here.  The mahogany has a certain dry tone with a pretty fast note decay and not a lot of overtones (compared to rosewood).  The maple body gives it a slightly snappier tone, not quite as fast a decay, it seems a little louder than the mahogany one, and I think the best word I can come up with is "crisp".  But it has good even response through low, mid, and high frequencies.

Would really like to try a short scale maple flier - but as you say they are rare. Glad you found one and please let's hear it if possible.

Congratulations