Gibson Brands Forums

Checkings on my Brand New 50s Goldtop

DeathRaven4

I’ve recently bought this 50s standard Les paul and I just opened up the guitar (which was shipped from Kansas to Georgia) and it seems like the paint is cracking. You can’t feel it on the surface but you can see it. Is this normal? Should I be worried about it? Box was sealed. This is my first Le Paul so any info will be very helpful 

E6EBD8C7-72DC-4A86-9ECD-1929CD1A025E.png

170F0BEE-C407-4567-932D-CC075056B5EE.png

CFE9CFF7-7278-4ED7-9FDC-01FF77756EAB.png

35C53F46-8915-49AD-B6BB-BC7122999E7B.png

6CD8B98C-9E8F-48AB-BCD9-C33342EDFAFE.png

526163B7-85A3-4922-9844-4933D1D5C059.png

F44EF40F-EE31-4647-A37D-3DCC7DA3B4EC.png

3C5EC379-8534-467D-9F92-E22885190E07.png

Looks like cracks in the nitro finish, probably from temperature fluctuations. It's cosmetic if that's what it is (sure looks like it), but I'd be upset if it was a new guitar. I'd want a substantial discount. 

Edited by Pinch
  • Like 1

Gibson does not now, nor do I think they ever covered the finish in the warranty. Look at #7, #8, And #10.  Gibson can not control humidity or temperature where the guitar is at any given moment once it leave the factory. Sorry to be the bearer of  bad news. The store may take it back, not sure.

This Warranty Is Subject to The Following Limitations:

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

1. Repairs of cosmetic defects that are listed in the Warranty Evaluation, which can be found in your purchase materials.
  2. Any instrument that has been altered or modified in any way, or upon which the serial number has been tampered with or altered by any party other than Gibson or a Gibson Certified Service Center.
  3. Any instrument whose warranty card has been altered, or upon which false information has been given.
  4. Any instrument that has been damaged due to misuse, negligence, accident, or improper operation.
  5. The subjective issue of tonal characteristics.
  6. Shipping damages of any kind.
  7. Any instrument that has been subjected to extremes of humidity or temperature.
  8. Normal wear and tear (i.e., worn frets, worn machine heads, worn plating, string replacement, scratched pickguards, or damages to or discoloration of the instrument finish for any reason).
  9. Any instrument that has been purchased from an unauthorized dealer, or upon which unauthorized repair or service has been performed.
  10. Cracking, discoloration, or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.
Edited by Sgt. Pepper

17 minutes ago, DeathRaven4 said:

Received at 12. Placed inside my house right away. Waited 7 hours then I opened it 

That may fall under #6, and that may be so, but as we all can see from the photos, it unfortunately has nitro cracks in it. Get ahold of the place you bought it from and good luck.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

17 hours ago, DeathRaven4 said:

Received at 12. Placed inside my house right away. Waited 7 hours then I opened it 

that answers that question, you did everything by the book.

you haven't mentioned details on the transaction,  but if this was bought new from a store, you really have a solid ground case for an exchange or refund.

Edited by kidblast

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

that answers that question, you did everything by the book.

you haven't mentioned details on the transaction,  but if this was bought new from a store, you really have a solid ground case for an exchange or refund.

Absolutely. 

while I more than understand 99% of people saying return it, or you being upset about that, I'm not one that would lose sleep over it. but while I say that right now, I have several gutars that it would bother me if something cosmetic would occur to them. 

as stated by others, weather checking is cold guitar being opened in a warm room.  Goldtops seem to age like that . some pay extra for that aged look.  if that feels great, plays great, sounds great I would accept it and move on.  beautiful guitar

I am not suggesting that you try this because the guitar is new & you have consumer rights.

However, nitro checking can be reversed using heat. Check the video on Pete Honore relicing his Gold Top using a hair dryer (heat) and compressed air (cold). From about 5.30 onward.

If you are tempted to keep the guitar, one option could be to see if the store will give you some discount (20% ?) then if you wanted, cautiously try heating the finish to remove the cracking.

Most Retailers today have a 45 day Return or Exchange Policy… If you’re within the time Return or Exchange it…

If not “Call” Gibson Customer Service & tell them your story & you want them to repair or replace it under Warranty..

One of the above should resolve your issue..

If not, Sell it… There’s never been a better time. Then buy another Guitar….

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Gibson CS will almost certainly not be an option. See Sgt Peppers warranty post. Conditions 6 and 10.

You’re probably right about 6 & 10. But, I wouldn’t hesitate making the Call.. You never know.. 

Most 45 day Return Exchange Policies by most Sellers are for any reason… You can always ask for a substantial Discount..

The OP can always sell it.. This is the best time! Then buy another…

Good luck!

I’ve yet to have a Nitro finish check & I’ve owned Gibsons & Epiphone’s for 30+ years.. Usually 3-4 or more at a time.. Most of them have been out of the Case on Stands or hung on the wall in my Studios over the years.. I take good care of them but I’m not a fanatic…  But, I live in So Cal so I can’t say they are exposed to super extreme Weather conditions.. 

Curious how you all fare when traveling to Gigs in the Cold climates? You don’t have hours & hours to let them climatize in the Case.. You gotta Set up & play…

Edited by Larsongs

From what I read the original poster said the guitar was shipped to him, he opened the case and the guitar is checked.

He said  if it was brand new 

If it was used then ok for the checking. 

But if it was new and opened and its checked,  either he needs to send it back or get a discount as he bought new

Edited by Eracer_Team

It looks like he disappeared quite some time ago but I wouldn't have kept it.

I only have a slight bit of checking on any of my guitars and it's because I couldn't wait another 12 hours to open up the case for a peek.  As soon as I saw the condensation I slammed the case shut but a little bit had already started.

25 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

Yeah, that also happens but checking is still 'acceptable' in gibson's eyes and not covered by the warranty.

until they move on from nitro, and they aren't,.. 

I am pretty careful about it tho.  I keep the guitars in their cases, and try to be mindful of fast climate changes.  At this point, it wouldn't matter to me if they did, 

They're in it with me for the long haul.

but if I bought a brand new guitar, and upon opening the case, I saw all that stuff in the first post,  there's no way I'd be happy or say I don't care.