Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gospel. (Short video added)

rbpicker

A few days ago I had an opportunity to play a 95 Gospel that was on consignment at my local small dealer.  The guitar had a magical voice unlike any that I’ve heard.  My J45 is stellar, but very different from this Gospel.  Both are keepers.  

Anyway, I’m really taken with this guitar.  It’s a one owner from a guy who takes extremely good care of his 25+ guitars.  The top has mellowed in color to a pumpkin shade and has a few lacquer checks that are hard to see, but they’re there.  Original saddle has lots of room for adjustment and it plays great.   The wonderful  tone elicited a couple very favorable comments from my wife, who generally thinks they all sound about the same.  

I’m using John Pearse phos brz lights on it, having tried my usual go-to  string for mahogany (Monel).  I like the snap of the JPs for now.  Using bone pins.  

I’ll take it in in a couple weeks for a fret dress/leveling, as the first 4 frets have a little bit of wear.  

I don’t know how to post pics here, but if I figure it out, I’ll put some up.  VIDEO ADDED A FEW POSTS DOWN.

Have a nice Thanksgiving, forum friends.

Roger

Edited by rbpicker
  • Like 1

I had one a few years ago. I thought it was a great guitar. It had the laminate back and sides with the arched back. Very loud and bright. 
Enjoy!

I use Flicker for my pictures. Upload them to their site. Then right click over the picture and select copy image address. Then paste that in your post. 

Edited by Dave F

• rbpicker changed the title to NGD Gospel. (Short video added)

Well folks, I returned the Gospel to my local dealer.  He said he had other players interested in it, one of whom came in with cash after I bought it.  Popular guitars.

I loved the tone and the look, but my arthritis couldn’t tolerate the neck for some reason.  The setup was great-nice low action but even tuned down a half step, I wasn’t able to play more than 15-20 minutes without pain in my thumb and first finger joints where they meet the hand. It was a fuller profile than my J45 Standard.

Hated to let it go back, but not worth it.  I’m still feeling the pain.

oh well, can’t win ‘em all.

rb

1 hour ago, rbpicker said:

Well folks, I returned the Gospel to my local dealer.  He said he had other players interested in it, one of whom came in with cash after I bought it.  Popular guitars.

I loved the tone and the look, but my arthritis couldn’t tolerate the neck for some reason.  The setup was great-nice low action but even tuned down a half step, I wasn’t able to play more than 15-20 minutes without pain in my thumb and first finger joints where they meet the hand. It was a fuller profile than my J45 Standard.

rb

Sorry to hear that. Understand it, though. I had to return a tele for similar reasons. It's amazing which few thousandths of an inch does it to ya.

1 hour ago, rbpicker said:

rb

I hear ya! I've been doing most of my downsizing based on hand comfort.