Gibson Brands Forums

SUNBEAMS are nice

philfish

Funny thing about Sunbeams - first tried .013's on my Epiphone EJ-200 and they strangled the heck out of the guitar - by chance I also had a set of .012's - the difference was stunning - lifted that guitar up a couple of levels.

Even tried the hex-core Rares for comparison one day - back to back with round-core Sunbeams - nope, preferred the sound of the string separation of the Sunbeams.

I like DR strings a lot. Veritas are my favourite but I like Rares too. Sunbeams are nice on Mahogany guitars but can sound a bit restrained on Maple instruments. Rares are nice hex-cores but not as striking as the Veritas and Sunbeams. The only real stinker in the DR line is their Dragon Skin coated strings, I couldn’t stand those things at all! 

Edited by Jinder

Years ago I got hooked on Sunbeams for a bit. I have always cottoned to strings wound on a round core because of feel.  But in the end I returned to Newtones - Heritage on the lighter built older Gals and Master Class on the newer kids.  The way I feel about Sunbeams is that way I feel about many strings which is pretty much "Meh" meaning while they are fine and I have no complaints with them they are still nothing to write home about.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a set of Sunbeam mediums and strung up the J-35 today. So far, so good, although I want to give them some time to see what I think of them and whether they are worth a switch from the Martin Retros I've been using.

One odd thing, though, and in all my years of playing guitar, I've never had this happen. When I string a guitar, I have taken to cutting the excess off the strings before putting them on the guitar. All went well until I cut the 6th string and put it on. Something must've happened to the winding when I cut the string because when I tried to tune the string to pitch, all I got was the sound of someone plucking a rubber band. Took the string off and tried again. Same deal. It sounded like a cheap bass. I've never had that experience.

I had an extra set of Sunbeams so I took the 6th string from that set. I strung it up and then cut it. Sounded just fine.

17 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

Finally got a set of Sunbeam mediums and strung up the J-35 today. So far, so good, although I want to give them some time to see what I think of them and whether they are worth a switch from the Martin Retros I've been using.

One odd thing, though, and in all my years of playing guitar, I've never had this happen. When I string a guitar, I have taken to cutting the excess off the strings before putting them on the guitar. All went well until I cut the 6th string and put it on. Something must've happened to the winding when I cut the string because when I tried to tune the string to pitch, all I got was the sound of someone plucking a rubber band. Took the string off and tried again. Same deal. It sounded like a cheap bass. I've never had that experience.

I had an extra set of Sunbeams so I took the 6th string from that set. I strung it up and then cut it. Sounded just fine.

Didn't you open the pack up and read the instructions for installing round-core strings? Go open up the empty box.

19 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

It warns you on the package not to cut the string  ends until you tune them.

These are round core strings. The ends of the wound strings are compressed  so the windings can't separate while you tune the guitar. If you cut them before you wind them on the stringpost, nine time out of 10 you will destroy that string.

Unlike a hex core string the windings do not bite into the core string. That is the reason the strings are so flexible.

56 minutes ago, j45nick said:

It warns you on the package not to cut the string  ends until you tune them.

These are round core strings. The ends of the wound strings are compressed  so the windings can't separate while you tune the guitar. If you cut them before you wind them on the stringpost, nine time out of 10 you will destroy that string.

Unlike a hex core string the windings do not bite into the core string. That is the reason the strings are so flexible.

0X5i64xh.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

. . .  Something must've happened to the winding when I cut the string because when I tried to tune the string to pitch, all I got was the sound of someone plucking a rubber band. Took the string off and tried again. Same deal. It sounded like a cheap bass. I've never had that experience.

You've just illustrated a major disadvantage of using round core strings. The advantage of extending the string one tuner post further from the post where the string will be installed, and cutting there, is that you don't end up with mess of excess string windings that resemble a honey dripper. The string ends also don't whip around the headstock while tuning up. And if you tear the pack apart instead of opening the pack on the edge (who does that?) and removing the strings, you'd never see their secret hidden warnings, err... instructions. DR Strings really needs to put that info in a place where you can't miss it. The photo on the pack shows you can put a 90° kink on the wound string, but you still end up with the string whipping around as it goes up to tune. And as BoSoxBiker mentioned, the longevity of Sunbeams is not exactly their strong suit. Only Martin SP's go away quicker, in my experience.

54 minutes ago, 62burst said:

You've just illustrated a major disadvantage of using round core strings. The advantage of extending the string one tuner post further from the post where the string will be installed, and cutting there, is that you don't end up with mess of excess string windings that resemble a honey dripper. The string ends also don't whip around the headstock while tuning up. And if you tear the pack apart instead of opening the pack on the edge (who does that?) and removing the strings, you'd never see their secret hidden warnings, err... instructions. DR Strings really needs to put that info in a place where you can't miss it. The photo on the pack shows you can put a 90° kink on the wound string, but you still end up with the string whipping around as it goes up to tune. And as BoSoxBiker mentioned, the longevity of Sunbeams is not exactly their strong suit. Only Martin SP's go away quicker, in my experience.

My experience with the longevity of Sunbeams is the exact opposite. I just replaced a set on one of my 1950 J-45s after two years. They still sounded pretty good to me. Not like new, but good. Very thumpy after the original brightness goes away after about 3-4 months. Some people think they are too bright to start with. I have them on three other Gibson flat tops right now, with strings of various ages and guitars that are in various tunings.

I use them in large part because of their longevity.

I don't know how you wind strings when you tune, but I have none of the problems you are talking about. 

When you open either end of a box of Sunbeams, there is a big note on the flap you pull out that says "prevent dead strings", and points to the more detailed instructions on the inside of the box. It ain't rocket science.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

You've just illustrated one of the pitfalls of cutting strings before installing them - an absolutely unnecessarily step - install them long - in the tuner hole - pull back some - wind all down (no over/under needed) - trim off excess when string has tension.

These pictures are $39.99 Martin Titanium round-cores I put on my IBG Hummingbird last week.

NHUESHOl.jpgXLMmVdhl.jpg

B1IGQEUl.jpg2lYrUdwl.jpg

12 hours ago, 62burst said:

......... And if you tear the pack apart instead of opening the pack on the edge (who does that?) and removing the strings, you'd never see their secret hidden warnings, err... instructions. DR Strings really needs to put that info in a place where you can't miss it.....

I only looked for the instructions after someone here(Jinder, IIRC) wrote about the hazards of round-core strings. I bet I had used them at least 1/2 dozen times by then.

11 hours ago, j45nick said:

My experience with the longevity of Sunbeams is the exact opposite. I just replaced a set on one of my 1950 J-45s after two years. They still sounded pretty good to me. Not like new, but good. Very thumpy after the original brightness goes away after about 3-4 months. Some people think they are too bright to start with. I have them on three other Gibson flat tops right now, with strings of various ages and guitars that are in various tunings.

I use them in large part because of their longevity....................

Hmmm - South Florida. Well, that blows my theory to Smithereens. I figured it was humidity getting to mine. All brands are short lifers for me. Could be anything from newer guitars to lower setups reducing room for natural string oscillation.

10 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

You've just illustrated one of the pitfalls of cutting strings before installing them - an absolutely unnecessarily step - install them long - in the tuner hole - pull back some - wind all down (no over/under needed) - trim off excess when string has tension.

These pictures are $39.99 Martin Titanium round-cores I put on my IBG Hummingbird last week.

NHUESHOl.jpgXLMmVdhl.jpg

B1IGQEUl.jpg2lYrUdwl.jpg

Man, modern day photography. My digital camera is 2004. I couldn't take a shot like this even if I had $3k glass (lenses). Please don't tell me these were done with a phone. If it was, I'm caving in and punting.

Edit (submitted too soon)  Do you do that winding process with all strings or just the Titaniums? I've been curious to try it with others.

Edited by BoSoxBiker

42 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Hmmm - South Florida. Well, that blows my theory to Smithereens. I figured it was humidity getting to mine. All brands are short lifers for me. Could be anything from newer guitars to lower setups reducing room for natural string oscillation.

I just changed strings on the maple AJ- the Sunbeams that were on it were dead already. . . in only four and a half years- imagine that? 😄. All strings are pretty much short-lived compared to Elixirs, though. Personally, the Elixirs (and I'm not critical of string feel) main appeal is the reduced string noise if you move the fretting hand up and down the neck at a rate that could be described as "less than a leisurely". Their longevity is a good thing if every time a new set of strings is wound up to tension, the string's ball ends come up into the bridge plate, and just a little galling occurs there every time. Bridge plate wear is cumulative.

38 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Man, modern day photography. My digital camera is 2004. I couldn't take a shot like this even if I had $3k glass (lenses). Please don't tell me these were done with a phone. If it was, I'm caving in and punting.

Edit (submitted too soon)  Do you do that winding process with all strings or just the Titaniums? I've been curious to try it with others.

That is some fine photography there, Brucebubs. I take it that with a little experience and dexterity, there is not a problem with the B and high E holding without one wrap above where the string passes through the hole (?)

And how do you like the Titaniums?

Never underestimate the role of your own body chemistry in string life. Fortunately, whatever acids my skin produces doesn't seem to impact strings that much. I have a buddy who makes me cringe when he asks to play my guitar; whatever acids his skin secretes ages strings after only a few minutes' playing.