Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Slot Head


Sgt. Pepper
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I have never owned a slot head guitar. I have played a few in stores, and I think they were mostly Classical guitars. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to them as compared to heads that are solid? Or does it harken back to the old days?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Of course it is, but the metal on the tuners may make up the difference and add some. I think metal is heavier than wood. 

Slot heads are generally equipped with the same light weight open gear tuners as other guitars.  And while there is no appreciable difference between the two types of headstocks when it comes to weight the slot heads are generally quite a bit thicker. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Slothead string changing is 3 man full time job and an intelligence test.....get Elixir long lifes so you don't have to do it very often! Do it the right way or the strings will rub wood off the inside of the slots, or...buy an old one with wear already!😎

It is even trickier (to start) on a National...have to hold the cone with some tension.

 

 

BluesKing777.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I want an M-36, but I would need to sell one to get one.

Back in 1984 it was Chris Martin himself that came up with the idea of adding extra depth to the existing 0000/M body and creating the J-14 fret.

So as nice as the M-36 is, there had to be a reason why he thought it could be even better.

Here he is showing it for the 1st time.

NwzVoYnh.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Brucebubs said:

Back in 1984 it was Chris Martin himself that came up with the idea of adding extra depth to the existing 0000/M body and creating the J-14 fret.

So as nice as the M-36 is, there had to be a reason why he thought it could be even better.

Here he is showing it for the 1st time.

NwzVoYnh.jpg

All I know is the one I played a few days ago was killer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dave F said:

Maybe it’s the string tension for the design making a difference

Yes, the rumor is that the greater string break angle of the string from the nut to the tuner post is a plus.

6 hours ago, Hall said:

Nuisance to me.

Agree. And Sgt Pepper, yes, there is some of that "harkening back to the old days" if you want to go that far back. Unique for the sake of unique.

2 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Elixir long lifes so you don't have to do it very often! Do it the right way or the strings will rub wood off the inside of the slots..

BluesKing777.

The wound strings can also whip around and scratch if you don't pre-cut on installation. And if you don't pre-cut, try not to mess things up when trying to get cutters into the slot.

6MKxv3A.png?1

Edited by 62burst
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Yes, the rumor is that the greater string break angle of the string from the nut to the tuner post is a plus.

Agree. And Sgt Pepper, yes, there is some of that "harkening back to the old days" if you want to go that far back. Unique for the sake of unique.

The wound strings can also whip around and scratch if you don't pre-cut on installation. And if you don't pre-cut, try not to mess things up when trying to get cutters into the slot.

6MKxv3A.png?1

C-1?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

 

Slothead string changing is 3 man full time job and an intelligence test.....get Elixir long lifes so you don't have to do it very often! Do it the right way or the strings will rub wood off the inside of the slots, or...buy an old one with wear already!😎

It is even trickier (to start) on a National...have to hold the cone with some tension.

 

 

BluesKing777.

 

 

Wow, looks like a fun time. RCT wants a slot head, and I now do not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, j45nick said:

C-1?

Most likely. Pic found on the web, but the slot heads I have, or have had,  have made me appreciate a simple paddle headstock.

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wow, looks like a fun time. RCT wants a slot head, and I now do not.

Isn't he still all I-want-one/GAS'ed up over SBPark's Epi USA Frontier (like the rest of us) ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Most likely. Pic found on the web, but the slot heads I have, or have had,  have made me appreciate a simple paddle headstock.

Isn't he still all I-want-one/GAS'ed up over SBPark's Epi USA Frontier (like the rest of us) ?

I think he likes Martins like me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wow, looks like a fun time. RCT wants a slot head, and I now do not.

Yeah well, I don't acoustic often enough, well enough, to make something like even close to worthwhile.

rct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Most likely. Pic found on the web, but the slot heads I have, or have had,  have made me appreciate a simple paddle headstock.

Isn't he still all I-want-one/GAS'ed up over SBPark's Epi USA Frontier (like the rest of us) ?

lolz yes, that thing is pretty!

rct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...