Gibson Brands Forums

Can you combine Bluegrass and Rock?

jaxson50

12 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

How about Leon Russell and the New Grass Revival doing Jumpin' Jack Flash?

Yep.

All the cool kids.

You literally can't make a list of cool kids without a bluegrass band popping up.

21 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

The band's name is a play on words,

Six String Soldiers   

Six soldiers each playing stringed instruments 

Yeah, I got that.  But I still say I've never seen a four string banjo being strummed in a bluegrass band.  :rolleyes:

But saw plenty like this----

[wink]

And I still can't find any examples of rock'n'roll versions of bluegrass tunes.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, I got that.  But I still say I've never seen a four string banjo being strummed in a bluegrass band.  :rolleyes:

But saw plenty like this----

[wink]

And I still can't find any examples of rock'n'roll versions of bluegrass tunes.

Whitefang

Just think of all the money he saves by not having to replace the 5th string 

• Haha 1

It's always interesting to see the 'crossovers', and wonder what the spark might ignite in terms of a new spin-off.  English=Irish Ballads and fiddle music, combining with African derived banjo, Italian mandolin, which was influenced by a lute from the Middle East.    Artists with 'country/gospel' roots -  Elvis, Duane Eddy, Benda Lee -  and we had a "RockaBIlly" spinoff.

Hard not to love it all !!    

Interesting Jaxson.  But a rock band playing bluegrass with bluegrass instrumentation wasn't what I was looking for.  I was looking for rock bands doing ROCK versions of well known bluegrass tunes.  Just as those bluegrass bands did bluegrass versions of well known rock tunes.

And  Buffalo Springfield was always a rock band that mostly played rock,  maybe wandering into "folk-rock" now and then.

And "Fox On The Run"  was written as a rock tune by British Pop composer Tony Hazzard that later was done bluegrass style by  Bill Emerson.

Now we're doing each other's homework.  [wink]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

And "Fox On The Run"  was written as a rock tune by British Pop composer Tony Hazzard that later was done bluegrass style by  Bill Emerson.

Whitefang

I've always liked this song by Tom T. Hall.... but hearing the Manfred Mann version makes me want to put an arrangement together!

Thanks for the info!

On 4/12/2022 at 8:27 AM, Whitefang said:

Interesting Jaxson.  But a rock band playing bluegrass with bluegrass instrumentation wasn't what I was looking for.  I was looking for rock bands doing ROCK versions of well known bluegrass tunes.  Just as those bluegrass bands did bluegrass versions of well known rock tunes.

And  Buffalo Springfield was always a rock band that mostly played rock,  maybe wandering into "folk-rock" now and then.

Now we're doing each other's homework.  [wink]

Whitefang

This is your big chance,  apparently you could corner the market if you start a rock band that play's Bluegrass as I can find no such animal.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Just like guitars, we all have our own opinions.   As far as an actual genre of music is concerned, I figure if current country singers can combine country with hip-hop (hick-hop) that anything is possible.

It is but it doesn't mean we want it. No way in hell Merle would rap on an album to be relevant. I'm damn sure Willie has not rapped on an album yet, nor will he ever.

5 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

There are plenty of combinations waiting to be tried. 

I'm still waiting for someone to realise my idea of a yodelling version of the Hallelujah Chorus.  

If they do it that way, do we have to stand up when they start yodeling?

3 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

No need for that. You're thinking of the national anthem. 

Now, a yodelling La Marseillaise has possibilities

I think its tradition to stand during the Hallelujah Chorus. King George II was so moved  when he was at a performance of it, and if a King stands you have to as well, as to not insult him.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think its tradition to stand during the Hallelujah Chorus. King George II was so moved  when he was at a performance of it, and if a King stands you have to as well, as to not insult him.

Really? Well if he feels insulted because I'm sat down its the King's problem. I would not permit him to make it my problem. 

and I cant imagine any colonist American standing for a king either.

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Really? Well if he feels insulted because I'm sat down its the King's problem. I would not permit him to make it my problem. 

and I cant imagine any colonist American standing for a king either.

I’m sure it took place over in Jolly Old England. It may have been after Handel wrote it. I learnt that in my Music Appreciation class in college.

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

There are plenty of combinations waiting to be tried. 

I'm still waiting for someone to realise my idea of a yodelling version of the Hallelujah Chorus.  

I'm having visions of Slim Whitman, singing the Hallehujah Chorus 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1