Gibson Brands Forums

Bon Jovi, is it time they gave up?

IanHenry

On 4/18/2022 at 7:46 PM, IanHenry said:

I saw this on Youtube, and I was shocked at how bad Jon Bon Jovi sounded.  Unless it was a one off bad night, maybe it's time to call it a day:

I always thought Richie Sambora was the real talent in the band.

I would say that he was trying unsuccesfully to sing it on a brand new tone lines  maybe he has  vocal  strings  problems , i wouldnt dare  to hear  HAVE A NICE DAY with the singer  so out of tune 

54 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

So that's who does that song, I only heard it a million times at work.

Meh.

Your new avatar is very non-Zappa-esqu.

It looks like a Tranny Putin Gay Pride Button.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It not just Jovi. I want Yes, The Stones, Skynyrd, Forigner, and a slew of others to give it up. Groups with 2, 1, or no original members need to call it a day.

To all of you who want the Legends to quit.. Watch 3 days of 2022 Coachella on YouTube & let us know which you like best…

11 hours ago, Larsongs said:

To all of you who want the Legends to quit.. Watch 3 days of 2022 Coachella on YouTube & let us know which you like best…

Go see The Stones live once, and then see what a great show they are for $200 a seat. I did and wished I hadn't.  don't even think Jagger has the Moves Like Jagger anymore.

Enjoy

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

No JBJ for me...  I do not care for his music - never have and never will.  Didn't even watch the video in the first post to say this.  I don't think I will watch it either.  I did watch the Paint it Black video...  Yeah, it looks like age is catching up with some of those guys on stage, lol!  Not knocking the band whatsoever, but all good things must come to an end one day.  Let us remember you in good form - please... 

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

So a little off topic here but I saw a post on "the gear page" where someone pointed out how pretty much none of those artists at Coachella are using Gibson guitars.  Plenty of Fender gear but maybe 1 Gibson out of all those acts.   Is Gibson just making wall hangers for dentists and lawyers at this point? 

Fender Offsets are the Guitars pretty much favored by young Artists today.. If there are Guitars at all.. 

Once again, all you who are criticizing the Legends, seriously, watch 3 days of 2022 Coachella & honestly say who should give it up.. 

Edited by Larsongs

On 4/19/2022 at 11:42 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

It not just Jovi. I want Yes, The Stones, Skynyrd, Forigner, and a slew of others to give it up. Groups with 2, 1, or no original members need to call it a day.

Oh dear  i  think  you might be right  but  not seeing the brand   LYNYRD SKYNYRD  around anymore  it would be  really  hard to accept . by the  way 38 SPECIAL  are performing still well  despite   the fact that is a DON BARNES  kind of band . 

43 minutes ago, duane v said:

What I don't get is another musician implying to another musician "they should give it up." That makes no sense at all to me.

Especially when they’re not has been’s, they’re never were’s…..

finally listened to it.  yea, his vocals were rough.  I don't envy lead singers, having to sing all damn night. and in his case, for decades.  I've been forced into that position in  bands over the years by process of elimination.  I prefer to just sing a handful of tunes then as FZ said shut up and play your guitar ...

2 hours ago, duane v said:

What I don't get is another musician implying to another musician "they should give it up." That makes no sense at all to me.

Its like when your dog is really old and suffering and its time for them go off to the final bark in the sky, Its sad, but needs to happen.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Out of all this it seems the only "legends" I can think of that can still go on are...

BOB DYLAN

NEIL YOUNG

Mostly on a vocal level since neither was ever heralded for their vocal prowess.  Nobody ever expects any Pavarotti level quality in their voices and their singing(particularly Dylan's) has long been the target of ridicule.  I mean, you can't really "lose" something nobody ever thought you had to begin with.  [wink]

If you can add anyone to my list please go ahead.

Whitefang

42 minutes ago, duane v said:

I don't at all see your comparison.....

How about this. The Rolling Stones are awful and have been awful for about the last 40 years. They are a terrible live band and don't need to ever record again or tour. The Greatest R N R Band In The World my a . . 

Don't get me wrong they had a time from Beggars Banquet to about Goat Head Soup, and I do love Some Girls. The rest is poo to me.

Any one like Emotional Rescue? Didn't think so.

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How about this. The Rolling Stones are awful and have been awful for about the last 40 years. They are a terrible live band and don't need to ever record again or tour. The Greatest R N R Band In The World my a . . 

Don't get me wrong they had a time from Beggars Banquet to about Goat Head Soup, and I do love Some Girls. The rest is poo to me.

Any one like Emotional Rescue? Didn't think so.

I don't think the Rolling Stones are awful at any stage of their careers. I'm not sure if you have ever been on tour and have an understanding of how physically taxing it is not only when in your 20's-30's, but I couldn't imagine doing it in my 60's and 70's. Just singing backup vocals when I was on tour in my 20's was pretty draining.

I think maybe if you don't like something that's fine, but when you try to speak for others taste to justify your singular opinion, to me that comes off a little arrogant. 

37 minutes ago, duane v said:

I don't think the Rolling Stones are awful at any stage of their careers. I'm not sure if you have ever been on tour and have an understanding of how physically taxing it is not only when in your 20's-30's, but I couldn't imagine doing it in my 60's and 70's. Just singing backup vocals when I was on tour in my 20's was pretty draining.

I think maybe if you don't like something that's fine, but when you try to speak for others taste to justify your singular opinion, to me that comes off a little arrogant. 

I hear you, but they are long past their shelf life. And to me, I won’t go see them or buy any more of their music. If you like them great. Listen to the classics Bridges To Babylon and Voodoo Lounge if you have them, and play them side by side with Beggars Banquet and Sticky Finger, you will wish you hadn’t. 
Everyone makes trash now and then. Even your hero’s and mine.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 8:01 AM, duane v said:

I think there could be a physical issue Jon could be battling. I've seen the band three times during their hey-day and his vocals were usually pretty good.  

Yep, we’re all getting old and wore out, although we can plow just as deep, we can’t make as many rounds as we used to. My main problem is my neighbor, Art the worst of the Ritus brothers. He won’t leave me be.

58 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How about this. The Rolling Stones are awful and have been awful for about the last 40 years. They are a terrible live band and don't need to ever record again or tour.

Not a fan of the Stones, never really have been,  we all like what we like, that's pretty much the long and short of it.

Stones have made a fortune a few hundred times over, which is not too bad for a bunch a guys that suck that bad huh?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The Greatest R N R Band In The World my a . .

Brutha, if it aint broke, no one is gonna fix it!

3 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

IMO, the Stones sound like a bar band where the singer didn't show up so they asked if anyone in the audience could sing.   🤭

lol...

One of the great gifts Mick does have is he doesn't always have to be spot with intonation to get the point across on their music..... Maybe that's the charm..... Makes singing along pretty straight forward for the average bloke.