Gibson Brands Forums

Bon Jovi, is it time they gave up?

IanHenry

1 hour ago, duane v said:

lol...

One of the great gifts Mick does have is he doesn't always have to be spot with intonation to get the point across on their music..... Maybe that's the charm..... Makes singing along pretty straight forward for the average bloke. 

in all the years I've done cover bands,, some of the harder ones to get "Right" vocally were the stones tunes.  

I remember saying to the guys one afternoon when we were working on some vocals for one of the hits from back in the last century

"ya know,, it's hard to intentionally sound that bad!" 

we had great vocals in that band too, there was very little out of our reach, but some of those,,, oy!

I have give em a lot of credit.  They are the junk yard dogs of rock and roll.

This Thread is a Joke! A bunch of “Never Were” Musicians criticizing Bands who are Legends… More power to them.. As long as they sell Tickets & People want to see them they should continue on…

If you don’t want to see them, don’t…

If you can do better, Post your Music & entertain us… 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Larsongs said:

This Thread is a Joke! A bunch of “Never Were” Musicians criticizing Bands who are Legends… More power to them.. As long as they sell Tickets & People want to see them they should continue on…

If you don’t want to see them, don’t…

If you can do better, Post your Music & entertain us… 

On the other hand,,,  I think it's called a "discussion"  thats why this forum is here.

move on to another thread if you don't like it..  that's what I do.

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, kidblast said:

On the other hand,,,  I think it's called a "discussion"  thats why this forum is here.

This is why you never see The Kid in any of my posts.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

Discussions can be a Joke.. There is proof of that everywhere… This Thread is but one…

Re; On the other hand…. The same can be said to all the Haters… If you don’t like those Bands don’t go see them.. Just because one person doesn’t like something it doesn’t make them credible.. If the Band can sell a few hundred thousand Tickets & People go see them it makes them wrong.

Instead, why not move on to more constructive, positive & productive discussions rather than spread Cancer….

Like Posting Threads of their Music, Bands & Performances.. I’m sure all the Haters are much better than those they discredit.. so, let’s see & hear them.. I’d love to see them.. Now, that would be an interesting discussion..

1 minute ago, Larsongs said:

Discussions can be a Joke.. There is proof of that everywhere… This Thread is but one…

Re; On the other hand…. The same can be said to all the Haters… If you don’t like those Bands don’t go see them.. Just because one person doesn’t like something it doesn’t make them credible.. If the Band can sell a few hundred thousand Tickets & People go see them it makes them wrong.

Instead, why not move on to more constructive, positive & productive discussions rather than spread Cancer….

Like Posting Threads of their Music, Bands & Performances.. I’m sure all the Haters are much better than those they discredit.. so, let’s see & hear them.. I’d love to see them.. Now, that would be an interesting discussion..

Oh lord I could give you guys A LOT to talk about!

I'm still phased by Ghost's statement, "Totally, they have grown on me over the years..."  [omg]

Which could mean it took the last nearly SIXTY YEARS until he started to like some of their music, or.....

He's young enough to have never heard any of it until they WERE past their prime by the late '80's.  [wink]

And LARS.......

Maybe they don't post any of their music because they realized a few years before the possibility of recording their music and posting it on a home computer internet site that it was time THEY gave it up!  [wink]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

for the record  I never said any one should hang anything up

What I said was, JBJ had lost a few steps, never once said he should just quit

and I said I don't like the Stones, and I never have.

and if you guys want to hear any thing I've recorded,  I'll be happy share it, and hear how you like it or what ever.

just PM me and I'll send some links.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Anyone who has Music they want to share should Post it on a Thread for all of us to see & hear…

There was such a thread, long ago - it was called "walk the walk and talk the talk" or something like that.

Many of us contibuted tracks of our music.   I'm all for that, so.......

Here's a Soundcloud link to an old late-night headphones jam where I played slide on my Strat through a Boss  SE50 into the desk -

I think if JBJ had a couple of weeks on the road like he used to,  he'd get his vocals sorted out.  Maybe he couldn't hear the monitors.

Best wishes to all.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Are those really the only 2 possibilities?   You're reaching here bud.  😉😉😉[wink][wink]🤔🤭🙄[confused]\:D/\:D/\:D/

It seemed like an odd thing to say unless you were born in say, the later '70's and didn't begin hearing any of their music until the late '80's or later.

Or else maybe they were REALLY an acquired taste?  I mean,  Their first U.S. single "Not Fade Away"( a Buddy Holly cover) hit our shores in Feb. '64.  I was still 12 and an instant fan.  Took NO time at all for them to "grow" on me, or millions of other U.S. listeners.

So you'll need to offer the explanation for this one, bud.  [wink]

Whitefang

35 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

It seemed like an odd thing to say unless you were born in say, the later '70's and didn't begin hearing any of their music until the late '80's or later.

Or else maybe they were REALLY an acquired taste?  I mean,  Their first U.S. single "Not Fade Away"( a Buddy Holly cover) hit our shores in Feb. '64.  I was still 12 and an instant fan.  Took NO time at all for them to "grow" on me, or millions of other U.S. listeners.

So you'll need to offer the explanation for this one, bud.  [wink]

Whitefang

Arguably, “The Rolling Stones” were at the top of their game during the Brian Jones period.. For those who missed it they need to go back & get educated… During that magical Musical Renaissance Period they were the 2nd greatest Band in the World… 

Edited by Larsongs

Just now, Larsongs said:

Arguably, “The Rolling Stones” were at the top of their game during the Brian Jones period.. For those who missed it they need to go back & get educated… During that magical Musical Renaissance Period they were the 2nd greatest Band in the World… 

Some would say the 1st!  [wink]

I clearly recall the big "war" in Jr, high at the time between the Stones fans and Beatles fans.  Arguments got so heated between them they sometimes broke out into fist fights!  And when the Dave Clark 5 came along followed by ALL the bands in the "British Invasion" the number of camps and arguments and fights increased.  :rolleyes:

Me?

I liked 'em all and wisely kept out of the fracas.

Even the girls bit and scratched over the "Who's cuter....Paul of Mick?"  debate.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Can't deny their contribution to Rock and Roll, they've definitely put their stamp on it time and time again.

but ---> I don't like most of their music,..  it's horses for courses Lars.   PS  Wasn't ever a huge beatles fan either,

I know, I know...  I'm damaged goods..  

6 hours ago, kidblast said:

Can't deny their contribution to Rock and Roll, they've definitely put their stamp on it time and time again.

but ---> I don't like most of their music,..  it's horses for courses Lars.   PS  Wasn't ever a huge beatles fan either,

I know, I know...  I'm damaged goods..  

I understand.. I happened to go put Gas in my Truck today. A guy pulls up to a Pump next to me & left his Country Music blasting with the window down while he filled his Tank.. It was really awful sounding Country Polka sounding stuff! I couldn’t get out of there fast enough! And I like & play some Country music….

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I understand.. I happened to go put Gas in my Truck today. A guy pulls up to a Pump next to me & left his Country Music blasting with the window down while he filled his Tank.. It was really awful sounding Country Polka sounding stuff! I couldn’t get out of there fast enough! And I like & play some Country music….

country polka????.....  I think I'd rather be chained to a pole in the middle of a half a dozen dudes playing bag pipes for an hour.

well, maybe not an hour..

On 4/22/2022 at 3:06 PM, jdgm said:

There was such a thread, long ago - it was called "walk the walk and talk the talk" or something like that.

Many of us contibuted tracks of our music.   I'm all for that, so.......

Best wishes to all.

I remember that thread. I used to like it. 

It would be nice if there were some other ways to post our own stuff here. I mean, there's YouTube. Yeah. I don't have or even know how to use home studio equipment. So me, I'm stuck with live footage of my bands playing covers.  Unless I set up a mic or camera in my home and just record myself. And lately almost all footage of my gigs is recorded on cell phones and goes to FaceBook and I never see any of it. 

BTW. I listened to you Soundcloud track. Very good. I just cut it out in the Quote to save space.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

It's because Mick's vocals are really hard to listen to for me.  And Keith?   He started out at his best and declined consistently from there.    A lot of their hits are pretty terrible IMO and a lot of what they do is just badly ripped off R&B.  There were a few shining moments but also a lot of turds.   With so many other bands out there putting out good stuff it's hard to choose to buy a Rolling Stones album.  Hope this helps you understand.  

It does, and I getcha on some things.  Like Mick's vocals.  Sure, on the early stuff his voice was perfect for the songs.  Like on "Satisfaction".   or "19th Nervous Breakdown".  But I cringed at his tepid results of trying to be the "blue eyed soul" white boy trying to sound black.  Just didn't work for me.  Eric Burdon was WAY better at it.  And although I still do like many early Stones tunes,  "Start Me Up" from Tatoo You was the last thing I think they did that's worth listening to.  And these two from the '70's are up near the top of the list.    And the first one was the "B" side!  (of "Brown Sugar")

And this one is an example of Mick's poor attempt at sounding "urban".  But it musically grabbed me...

Whitefang

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late to this thread. A lot of people slate Bon Jovi, but the fact is they didn't reach their level of popularity with no talent. All of them are pretty decent musicians and they wrote some memorable songs. Someone said they wrote 'formulaic songs', on this thread,  but clearly the person who wrote that never heard 'Dry County' from Bon Jovi's 'Keep the Faith' album. 'Dry County' is an epic masterpiece that often gets overlooked. 1995's 'These Days' is an amazing album IMO and up until then they had never released a bad album. Sadly, they got a lot of outside writers after 1995 and became pretty dull. I don't really like much from 2000's Crush onwards, but there are still the occasional good songs. I'd put These Days, Keep the Faith & New Jersey in my top 100 albums of all time. 

To answer the original question, I think they should have given up making albums after These Days and just played live. 

Edited by cody78

It all just boils down to it being a free country (of sorts) and Bon Jovi should, if he wishes, keep touring and performing as long as there are still people willing to buy tickets and attend the shows. 

Chuck Berry kept going into his 90's and when it was clear he was nowhere near what he was during his prime.    But he was Chuck Berry and people didn't care.  They swarmed to the shows and gladly paid the price.   You know, if you are a "true fan", it's sometimes enough just to be in the same building and presence.  [wink]

Whitefang

16 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I don't know what was going on with Jon in that clip.  I know him to be a very in-pitch vocalist from other clips I've seen.  Hopefully it was just an off night.  We are all players here and I'm sure O.P. didn't mean it literally.  Most of us would play until we drop dead on stage if we had the kind of following Bon Jovi has. 

Yes, in retrospect I wish I'd named the post differently, I didn’t mean to show any disrespect to Jon, he must have a lot of talent otherwise he wouldn’t still be doing what he does.

The vocals on the live clip were pretty bad but anyone can have an off night, and I certainly can’t call anyone’s vocals, you really don’t want to hear me attempt to sing!