Gibson Brands Forums

If Paul and John grew up in Memphis, this is what they would sound like

jaxson50

8 hours ago, jdgm said:

NO NO NO!

They have completely missed the point IMO.   And the melody. 

P.S. they are Brazilians. 

Who would have thunk it?   Blues is big in Brazil? I saw one video of them in the studio in 2017, I could swear Buddy Miller was playing with them.

12 hours ago, jdgm said:

NO NO NO!

They have completely missed the point IMO.   And the melody. 

Different tune, different chord structure, different time, different phrasing....

This is a 12 bar blues with a couple of lines from 'Yesterday' in it. Its nice but it isn't 'Yesterday'. 

Its an imposter using fake nose & glasses from a Xmas cracker. 

I enjoyed them.  Although a 10 minute version of Yesterday might have been carrying it a bit too far.  I don't know about across the pond but here in the US there are a lot of Beatles tribute bands who try to imitate Beatles songs dressing like the Beatles did, and playing the same guitars and amps etc.  But this was a different take and one I had not seen anyone else do using Beatle lyrics and setting them to blues structures.

The players are high energy, skilled at playing, and a very tight live act.  Refreshing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Different tune, different chord structure, different time, different phrasing....

This is a 12 bar blues with a couple of lines from 'Yesterday' in it. Its nice but it isn't 'Yesterday'. 

Its an imposter using fake nose & glasses from a Xmas cracker. 

God forbid anyone present a song they love played in any fashion that breaks away from the original. 

Oops! The Beatles did that themselves 

47 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I enjoyed them.  Although a 10 minute version of Yesterday might have been carrying it a bit too far.  I don't know about across the pond but here in the US there are a lot of Beatles tribute bands who try to imitate Beatles songs dressing like the Beatles did, and playing the same guitars and amps etc.  But this was a different take and one I had not seen anyone else do using Beatle lyrics and setting them to blues structures.

The players are high energy, skilled at playing, and a very tight live act.  Refreshing.

Yeah, I enjoyed the guitar solo, I don't care where the guy is from, he is dam good 

On 5/1/2022 at 4:49 PM, jaxson50 said:

God forbid anyone present a song they love played in any fashion that breaks away from the original. 

I love to hear fresh versions of songs, and the more varied & daring, the better. My point is that this is not a version of Yesterday at all.

• Like 1

I don't know man..... that version lost the longing feel of the song..... It just sounds like another blues song to me.

And the Beatles wouldn't had been accepted in Memphis anyhow because the lads were vocally / publicly opposed to segregation in the south during that time. 

32 minutes ago, duane v said:

I don't know man..... that version lost the longing feel of the song..... It just sounds like another blues song to me.

And the Beatles wouldn't had been accepted in Memphis anyhow because the lads were vocally / publicly opposed to segregation in the south during that time. 

Memphis is the home of Stax  Records,  the label recorded and released the following artist,  Wilson Pickett,  Otis Redding,  Bill Withers, Sam & Dave, Johnny Taylor,  Albert King, 

The other thing all these and other soul,  blues, and R&R acts had in common was ?

They all recorded with the house band, Booker T and the MGs , which consisted of black and white players, I wouldn't over play the race card here. 

Anyways,  I just wanted to share good music,  when I posted this video I didn't know the Blues Beatles  were a Brazilian act.  Maybe we should celebrate the fact that two of our favorite things, ( mine at least) the Beatles and the Blues, can coexist and thrive internationally. 

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I love to hear fresh versions of songs, and the more varied & daring, the better. My point is that this is not a version of Yesterday at all.

We have heard it in elevators, I  preferred the Blues version over the synthesized techno version. But then I like bourbon clean or on the rocks, not mixed with anything else so I might not be the authority on what others like.

Maybe this is better

Edited by jaxson50

I've not heard a techno version. Maybe its because I don't use lifts. 

I rather like the Blues Yesterday. Its a weird thing to. To write a song (all bar a few words) & then call it someone else's song. Kind've like a reverse plagiarism. Its clever though, because its generated such interest.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 8:39 AM, jaxson50 said:

Memphis is the home of Stax  Records,  the label recorded and released the following artist,  Wilson Pickett,  Otis Redding,  Bill Withers, Sam & Dave, Johnny Taylor,  Albert King, 

The other thing all these and other soul,  blues, and R&R acts had in common was ?

They all recorded with the house band, Booker T and the MGs , which consisted of black and white players, I wouldn't over play the race card here. 

Anyways,  I just wanted to share good music,  when I posted this video I didn't know the Blues Beatles  were a Brazilian act.  Maybe we should celebrate the fact that two of our favorite things, ( mine at least) the Beatles and the Blues, can coexist and thrive internationally. 

Ya... I should lighten up a bit.... lol