Gibson Brands Forums

dismiss in formation

Following on from another thread. I found some interesting quotes on the subject. This one is from Jonathan Swift

“Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.”

The source is here https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/disinformation 

We have our share of misinformation in the guitar arena too. How so? Its because there are conflicting beliefs. And its not a question of 'whose facts' to believe. Facts cannot be owned. Lies and untruths may be misidentified as facts when spread by those who shout loudest & most frequently. Or sometimes people just like the idea & decide to believe it. 

But nobody want another tone debate. Its in your head? Its in your fingers? Its in the wood? Its in the air? One may be a fact yet to be proven. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Our daughter has a really nice Taylor (Koa mini ?) - she let me have her last issue of their magazine.  It had a good, in depth article on Tone Wood which caught my eye.   Their point is that they understand the nuances of the tone you get from the nine most common types of tone wood - and that they use that understanding as a canvas upon which to design the structural parts of the acoustic: body shape, bracing, etc.   More on that later.

Rosewood seems to be their go-to wood for back & sides, but their review includes  Koa, Maple, Mahogany, Sapele, Urban Ash, Ovangkol, Blackwood and Walnut.  The basis of their analyses and insight into these woods  is the 4 criteria they used to grade them:  Frequency Range, Overtone Profile, Reflectivity and Touch Sensitivity.   The first appears measurable with the remaining three more subjective.  For example:  "Reflectivity - This spectrum indicates the degree to which the wood is inclined to take on the character of the player and/or guitar design versus asserting its own sonic character."   Wow!    They have the 4 criteria graphed for each of the 9 tone woods.    

After a close reading of this article and SteveFord's comment  -   I think Steve is putting out 'information'  and the other is  closer to 'mis-information'.    Or, as Merciful Evans suggested - 'a fact yet to be proven."   

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Our daughter has a really nice Taylor (Koa mini ?) - she let me have her last issue of their magazine.  It had a good, in depth article on Tone Wood which caught my eye.   Their point is that they understand the nuances of the tone you get from the nine most common types of tone wood - and that they use that understanding as a canvas upon which to design the structural parts of the acoustic: body shape, bracing, etc.   More on that later.

Rosewood seems to be their go-to wood for back & sides, but their review includes  Koa, Maple, Mahogany, Sapele, Urban Ash, Ovangkol, Blackwood and Walnut.  The basis of their analyses and insight into these woods  is the 4 criteria they used to grade them:  Frequency Range, Overtone Profile, Reflectivity and Touch Sensitivity.   The first appears measurable with the remaining three more subjective.  For example:  "Reflectivity - This spectrum indicates the degree to which the wood is inclined to take on the character of the player and/or guitar design versus asserting its own sonic character."   Wow!    They have the 4 criteria graphed for each of the 9 tone woods.    

After a close reading of this article and SteveFord's comment  -   I think Steve is putting out 'information'  and the other is  closer to 'mis-information'.    Or, as Merciful Evans suggested - 'a fact yet to be proven."   

Yes. Acoustic guitar tone wood. Something everyone can agree on (I hope!).

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Following on from another thread. I found some interesting quotes on the subject. This one is from Jonathan Swift

“Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.”

The source is here https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/disinformation 

We have our share of misinformation in the guitar arena too. How so? Its because there are conflicting beliefs. And its not a question of 'whose facts' to believe. Facts cannot be owned. Lies and untruths may be misidentified as facts when spread by those who shout loudest & most frequently. Or sometimes people just like the idea & decide to believe it. 

But nobody want another tone debate. Its in your head? Its in your fingers? Its in the wood? Its in the air? One may be a fact yet to be proven. 

Maybe they just suck at playing guitar and want a scapegoat.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Maybe they just suck at playing guitar and want a scapegoat.

I have a small herd of scapegoats.

SG 1: A previously broken fretting finger that can only fret flat.

SG 2: Osteo arthritis in right thumb

SG 3: Osteo arthritis in left thumb

SG 4: I dont know any songs other guitarists do

SG 5: Cant play with cold fingers

SG 6: Flatulence

SG 7: There's probably a 7th SG too

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 9:12 AM, merciful-evans said:

All of the above…

I spent the last 20 years searching for my perfect guitar so I would have no excuses. Being comatose for a long period with my AxeStars and FR shedder Ibanez, first I thought it should be a LP TV DC, then I was sure it was one of several of my SG’s, suddenly the Blueshawk appeared, my P90 Tele’s were excellent but too heavy and now its the 59 style MIC Wilshire.

17 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

All of the above…

I spent the last 20 years searching for my perfect guitar so I would have no excuses. Being comatose for a long period with my AxeStars and FR shedder Ibanez, first I thought it should be a LP TV DC, then I was sure it was one of several of my SG’s, suddenly the Blueshawk appeared, my P90 Tele’s were excellent but too heavy and now its the 59 style MIC Wilshire.

Oh man... we are so fickle about our guitars. I never thought I would own a Tele or a LP. As a young man it had to be the Strat. If I ever ventured towards Gibson, it would have to be an SG.

Now? I'm a just another guitar tart. 

On 5/3/2022 at 3:12 PM, merciful-evans said:

Flatulence is always a nice weapon to use on bassists on stage lol. crop dust their a$$

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Karloff said:

Flatulence is always a nice weapon to use on bassists on stage lol. crop dust their a$$

Crop dusting is for light weights! I have a full out tactical nuclear assault, no one is happy when I'm done! My colon is registered with the FBI!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Oh man... we are so fickle about our guitars. I never thought I would own a Tele or a LP. As a young man it had to be the Strat. If I ever ventured towards Gibson, it would have to be an SG.

Now? I'm a just another guitar tart. 

Yes I could Identify with Guitar Tart. When Eddie came on the scene my brain said what do I do now and decided to investigate guitars with cutting through tone. My SG-X with its super hot ceramic pickup and coil tapping switch rewired for phasing could cut through. But then I had an old Melody Maker with P90's that cut through even more. So basically I went to a technology that could pierce through to make up for a deficiency in my hands.

15 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Crop dusting is for light weights! I have a full out tactical nuclear assault, no one is happy when I'm done! My colon is registered with the FBI!

What do you do, s- hit your pants and strut around with your undies full of poo?

Here is a guy I trust, a man who spent half of the 60’s, most of the 70’s and 80’s high on weed, LSD, and blow and who knows what else. Not that I believe Joe, but I don’t consider Rock Stars experts at anything but making music.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/graham-nash-live-interview-2022-b2071675.html?amp

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is a guy I trust, a man who spent half of the 60’s, most of the 70’s and 80’s high on weed and blow and who knows what else. Not that I believe Joe, but I done consider Rock Stars experts at anything but making music.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/graham-nash-live-interview-2022-b2071675.html?amp

It was much longer than expected, but I read all of it & glad I did. Excellent.

Information in the age of misinformation can be like hacking your way out of the Amazon . Exhausting at times for sure, but censorship of any kind be it a weed eating pop singer or a stoned podcast host or an ex President the other political party wants stoned is a slippery slope. So there are people in the world that have different experiences and opinions. Sorry Graham that's not the way it works.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:51 AM, ghost_of_fl said:

I remember we used to say "it must be true, I read it on the Internet".   I guess some people believe we need our hands held and to be told what is true by some kind of Orwellian truth council.   This is easy enough to solve - just consistently vote against the people who think this is a good idea.  

These same people use to say  "It must be true - I read it in the New York Times.".    

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I cheated and used a Sharpie Fine Liner to get to 11.  

I just bought the amp and it came like that. My Blues Deluxe went to 12 too. Not sure why some Fender amps have 10 on them and some have 12. Anything past 4 and it was like a Motörhead concert. 60 watts is a lot of power.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just bought the amp and it came like that. My Blues Deluxe went to 12 too. Not sure why some Fender amps have 10 on them and some have 12. Anything past 4 and it was like a Motörhead concert. 60 watts is a lot of power.

Yes. I don't think I've ever used an amp past 4

...except in a shop