Gibson Brands Forums

When you found out you had the lyrics all wrong.....

duane v

There was a song in particular (Back In The USSR) I had the lyrics all wrong until I was about 9 years old until my dad showed me the lyric jackets on the blue 67-70 double album. I remember being shocked I was so far off. 

Here's what I was singing:

"Well the really tame girls really knock me out

They leave the west behind

And most tall girls make sing and shout

And Georgia is always on my my my my my mind."

Anyone have the same experience????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, duane v said:

There was a song in particular (Back In The USSR) I had the lyrics all wrong until I was about 9 years old until my dad showed me the lyric jackets on the blue 67-70 double album. I remember being shocked I was so far off. 

Here's what I was singing:

"Well the really tame girls really knock me out

They leave the west behind

And most tall girls make sing and shout

And Georgia is always on my my my my my mind."

Anyone have the same experience????

No the lyrics came with that album on the back of the poster.

• Thanks 1

"Wrapped up like a doouche, I rolled her over in the night" ~ Manfred Mann

"She walks the beaches like Zsa Zsa Gabor" ~ Dion

"Now I'm hurt, she's mad, wedding bells are gonna shine" ~ Manfred Mann

"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, where the doctor society cows" ~Elton John

13 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

'scuse me while I kiss this guy

6e41d2b65d63c534531f4d7270bee4ec.jpg

There was actually a book about mondegreens (what we're discussing here) by that title.  I had a copy, but damn if I can find it now!  [cursing]

But besides the book title, a few I recall ....

On INXS'  "Suicide Blond" the mentioned mondegreen is at the beginning when it sounds like the man is singing, "Soup and salad bar" 

Then there's Elton john's "Benny And the Jets" with their "electric boobs".

And of course, CCR's "There's a bathroom on the right"(Bad Moon Rising)

And back to Elton, it took me years until I learned at one point he was singing, "In Tradition with the family plan" in "Levon".  Up until that point I had no idea what the hell he was singing. 

Whitefang

6 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Fun starts at :27

Yeah sometimes who knows what Eddie Vedder sings. It took me years to finally realize the Eddie sang "Jeremy Spoke In Class Today" He mushed "spoke" and "in" together into  a word I could not recognize.

One of the worst is, of course Dylan's mumbles, but Michael Stipe from REM. That guy mushes words together pretty well.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

26 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

"The girl with colitis goes by ......"

6142096a400f5.image.jpg?crop=960,720,160

Once again, nope. If you bought Sgt. Pepper, the lyrics were on the back. I think it was the first time lyrics were ever printed on a jacket or included. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Once again, nope. If you bought Sgt. Pepper, the lyrics were on the back. I think it was the first time lyrics were ever printed on a jacket or included. 

A girl with colitis made me laugh out loud. Good one. I was 7 in 67, barely read and my dad was a doctor so colitis could have been in my far peripheral Arkansas vernacular. Ghost you get a pass (by me anyway).

Here's a  McCartney lyric that I didn't correct until recently:

Monday morning turning back Yellow Doris no nowhere to go.    Who the hell was Doris?

Edited by Tman
I misspoke. Lucy was Lennon. You never give me your money was McCartney so to say another McCartney lyric was wrong. I corrected it.

16 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

From what we learned about Eddie, there was a good chance not even HE knew what he was singing.  [wink]

Whitefang

After the second album of theirs I checked out. Unless I hear them when someone is playing them, I never listen to them anymore.

13 hours ago, Tman said:

A girl with colitis made me laugh out loud. Good one. I was 7 in 67, barely read and my dad was a doctor so colitis could have been in my far peripheral Arkansas vernacular. Ghost you get a pass (by me anyway).

Here's a  McCartney lyric that I didn't correct until recently:

Monday morning turning back Yellow Doris no nowhere to go.    Who the hell was Doris?

It's "Yellow Lorry's Slow". As in a Lorry is a Truck in the UK. I think the truck in driving slow and in his way. Cause later on in the song, he's singing about stepping on the gas. 

I was watching a YT video last night on miss heard lyric. One was Elton - "Hold Me Closer Tony Danza". And one Taylor Swift song were people thing she is saying something about Starbucks, but its about how many duded she ran though. I forget the lyric cause its TS, and I hate her music. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I saw these on a Beatles site:

As a young child - when Ticket To Ride came on the radio - thought the words were “she’s got a tick in her eye” - Mike Fink

When I saw her standing there. “I’ll never dance with her mother” - Walt Cochrane

When my brother was little, he thought the lyric was “blah, blah, blah”, not “love, love, love”, and he would go around the house singing it all the time. - Sheila Arthur

My dad thought Hey Jude was “Stay Tuned” - Fran Cesca

• Like 1

It amuses me to substitute words in songs anyway. On a Jam night at a pub in Southampton I thought I was going to get lynched when I sang the  Free classic 

'Flour and water must've made you their daughter' 

But nobody minded when La Bamba was full of references that sounded Spanish like Para Paca De Lucia / 'Yo no Soy Marijuana' 'Diego Maradona Pour Tea Sere, Pour Tea Sere, Pour Tea sere'.

'As Long as I gaze on Waterloo Sunset, I am in Paraguay'.

• Haha 1