Gibson Brands Forums

Beck with Depp on a Gibson

Lars68

Jeff Beck is on tour right now in England, supported by Johnny Depp. I have heard a few poor youtube phone recordings of the song Hedy Lamar below from the tour, but yesterday a studio version was released and I LOVE it. 

I’m not sure but I believe it’s written by Depp. A surprising collaboration, to say the least. They are releasing an album in July, and it’s going to be interesting to check out.

Studio version…

Live version from last night…

Lars

I don't even want to see Depp act, why would I want to hear him play guitar when he is standing next to one of the all time greats? Do those two have some weird bro-mance or something?

Excuse me Jeff, can you do a few lines form Pirates Of The Caribbean?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

My first thought was how long until we see a Johnny Depp Signature Gibson,

But I have heard it said that all movie stars want to be rockers and all rockers want to be in the movies.  Or was that all rock stars want to be golfers.  Hey, wasn't it Alice Cooper who once said golf has killed more rock stars than drugs?

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

My first thought was how long until we see a Johnny Depp Signature Gibson,

But I have heard it said that all movie stars want to be rockers and all rockers want to be in the movies.  Or was that all rock stars want to be golfers.  Hey, wasn't it Alice Cooper who once said golf has killed more rock stars than drugs?

Ask and you shall receive. Its a Duesenburg though.

https://duesenbergusa.com/guitars/alliance-johnny-depp

• Confused 1

I was at the Jeff Beck gig last week... Depp was pretty terrible and was on way too long, like half the show.. I paid to see Jeff not Johnny bloody Depp and would have way preferred more classic Beck tunes.. But hey, hes 77 years old and has nothing to prove to me or anyone else.. I guess he can do what he wants.

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Excuse me Jeff, can you do a few lines form Pirates Of The Caribbean?

Bromance, , , hahe he, , , never heard that one before. 

But on a serious note Beck would make pretty mean'n'sneaky little pirate-boat captain wouldn't he. . . 

pirate-flag-2.gif

I stumbled upon Depp as a musician by accident a few weeks back and liked what I heard. I don't care if his day job is as a janitor, brain surgeon, or famous actor. I found clips of him sharing stages with Paul McCartney, Jeff Beck, Slash, and Eddie Vedder to just name a few. Being famous surely opened a few doors for him, but if he was a total fraud and only a middle aged wannabe rockstar, he would not be invited back on stage by guys like that. To each his own, but here are a few more things I liked…despite the questionable wardrobe choices… 😀

Lars

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

I stumbled upon Depp as a musician by accident a few weeks back and liked what I heard. I don't care if his day job is as a janitor, brain surgeon, or famous actor. I found clips of him sharing stages with Paul McCartney, Jeff Beck, Slash, and Eddie Vedder to just name a few.

As always, I agree with Lars.

I've no opinion or knowledge of Depp as a person nor about his domestic/defamation dispute. And I've no interest in such things.

But the guy can play. Here he is laying down some lead for a Hollywood Vampires recording:

And some slide playing for some sort of promo:

Aerosmith's Joe Perry is a member of the Vampires, too. Before joining the band, he contacted Johnny for guitar lessons. Really. He'd heard/seen Johnny doing a creditable job playing Django's "Minor Swing" for the movie, "Chocolate." Yep, Johnny actually played the song for the move scene:

On 6/10/2022 at 5:20 PM, jt said:

Yes, it's a Depp composition and I agree that it is brilliant.

As for Beck stooping to play with Depp, he's played with far worse guitarists. 🙂

img_0176.jpg

I have seen that photo before, but can't remember the circumstance. Was it during the book tour?  Very cool, either way.

Lars

34 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

I have seen that photo before, but can't remember the circumstance. Was it during the book tour?  Very cool, either way.

Lars

Lars,

This was just after the book was published.  BBC Radio produced an hour-long documentary about the Kalamazoo Gals and flew me to London to be interviewed by the host, Suzi Quatro. I got a gig at Ronnie Scott's, the great London jazz club where Jeff recorded one of my all-time favorite electric guitar performances.

I was thrilled to be performing on that same stage. When I entered the venue, the manager said to me, “Jeff is coming to see you.” “Jeff, who?” I asked. “Jeff Beck.” Gulp. He sat in the front row. The management had graciously unscrewed the light bulb above his table. Speaking of graciousness, Mr. Beck was complimentary of my performance.

After the show, Jeff and I hung for an hour, or so, trading my guitar (a 1943 SJ that a young US soldier took to WWII) back and forth.

Here’s the video of my opening tune. As the camera pans left, you’ll see Jeff sitting behind a glass of champagne.