Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Cat Stevens J-180 Collector's Edition

Leonard McCoy

A Tribute to One of the World's Greatest Singer-Songwriters

"With his long dark hair and beard, slender frame, and black Gibson J-180 Cat Stevens stood as the embodiment of the 1970s singer-songwriter, a modern troubadour on a quest for spiritual enlightenment through music. And it was on his J-180 that he wrote and recorded many of his most beloved hits including "Wild World," "Peace Train," "Father and Son," and many more.

"Bought in London’s famous Selmer's Music Shop in 1969, Cat was initially drawn to the J-180’s elegant style, however, its percussive quality soon became an essential component of the intimate sound of his seminal albums ‘Tea For The Tillerman’ and ‘Teaser And The Firecat.’ At the end of the 1970s, Cat sold all of his musical equipment, including his J-180, with the proceeds going to charity. However, in the decades since he has been reunited with the original guitar and acquired a vintage backup to tour with.

"The Gibson Acoustic Custom Shop is proud to introduce the Cat Stevens J-180, which is based on the guitar that helped define his legend. It features a thermally aged Sitka spruce top, mother of pearl moon and star headstock and graduated star fretboard inlays, and an interior label hand-signed by Yusuf / Cat Stevens. Limited to only 50 units globally, a Certificate of Authenticity and a selection of patches, pins, and stickers inspired by the iconic artwork of Cat Stevens are included, along with a Cat Stevens hardshell case."

$7,499.00

Cat Stevens J-180 Collector's Edition Specifications

Body

Body Shape
J-180
Body Material
Maple
Thermally Aged Sitka Spruce
Back
Maple
Side
Maple
Bracing
Traditional Hand Scalloped X-bracing
Finish
Nitrocellulose VOS

Neck

Material
Mahogany
60s Custom
Scale Length
24.75" / 628.65mm
Fingerboard Material
Rosewood
Fingerboard Radius
12"
Number Of Frets
Frets
Standard Small Crown
Nut Material
Bone
Nut Width
1.73" / 43.815mm
Inlays
Graduated Mother of Pearl Stars
Joint
Compound Dovetail Neck-to-body Joint; Hot Hide Glue
Headstock inlay
Gibson Logo and Moon and Star in Mother of Pearl

Hardware

Tuner Plating
Nickel
Bridge
Belly Up Adjustable, Pinless
Saddle Material
Black TUSQ, Adjustable
Tuning Machines
Keystone Waffleback
Pickguard
Tortoise J-180 Double Moustache
TrussRod
Adjustable
Truss Rod Cover
Cat Stevens; Extra Black and White TRC Included in the Case
Bridge Pins
None

Electronics

Under Saddle Pickup
LR Baggs M1 Soundhole Pickup
Controls
Volume Control on the Pickup
Output Jack
1/4" Endpin Jack
Preamp
LR Baggs M1

Miscellaneous

Strings Gauge
.012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .053
Case
Cat Stevens Case Included
Accessories
Certificate of Authenticity and a selection of patches, pins, and stickers inspired by the iconic artwork of Cat Stevens

Gibson-Cat-Stevens-J-180.png

I saw this come through in an email and figured the resident Cat Stevens / Yusef expert would be all over it. Leanard McCoy, are you getting one?  🙂 

I know lots of folks were leery of baked tops on Maple B&S. I can say that the thermally aged Sitka does very well with the Maple B&S on my Artist Series Frank Hannon Love Dove. Hopefully it works out well for folks with this rather pricey J-180.

This just another example of Gibson's business model which includes a clause that states "there must be an inverse relationship between the outrageous prices we'll charge, and the looks of our products". 

The large slab of pickguard material that looks like it was salvaged from some cheap kitchen table is especially appealing.

What an ugly guitar.

RBSinTo

• Haha 2

I’ve always liked the pick guards on the Everly type models. The 180 I had was a very nice guitar but the sound wasn’t what I was looking for.  Plugged in it was great. I’m thinking I should had kept it. I’ve always like Cat/Yusuf’s music. If I was a big fan, I’d probably go after one of these. I’m a sucker for signature models and have had my share of them plus I have the new Elvis J200 on order. 

There was a Everly model from the 90s that had the pinless bridge.   I think it might of been one of the Montana specials.  

Not a fan of Sig guitars. A cheap guitar and a  record  would be just fine in this case 

I do not find the guitar ugly.  And the pinless ADJ bridge is a nice touch.  Looks to be far better thought out than the wacky wrap around ADJ bridge Kay came up with in the later-1950s. 

That said if somebody handed me $7500 and told me the only thing I could spend it on would be a Bozeman -made Gibson this one would not be high on my list.   Even if I felt I could make peace with a signature guitar (model names excepted), I am not enough of a Cat Stevens fan to be swayed by the extras included with the guitar..  For whatever reason, the sensitive singer/songwriter types have never had much staying power with me.

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

I do not find the guitar ugly.  And the pinless ADJ bridge is a nice touch.  Looks to be far better thought out than the wacky wrap around ADJ bridge Kay came up with in the later-1950s. 

That said if somebody handed me $7500 and told me the only thing I could spend it on would be a Bozeman -made Gibson this one would not be high on my list.   Even if I felt I could make peace with a signature guitar (model names excepted), I am not enough of a Cat Stevens fan to be swayed by the extras included with the guitar..  For whatever reason, the sensitive singer/songwriter types have never had much staying power with me.

zombywoof,

With the $7,500.00, one could grab a plane ticket from Bozeman to Nazareth, buy a really good looking and wonderfully sounding guitar, and still have change left over. Send me the money, and I'll show you how its done.

RBSinTo

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

But you get stickers (I love stickers on cases), and pins, and a nice COA with a nice photo of Mr. Cat/Yusuf/ Georgiou playing an older one. Plus it already comes gig ready with that eye sore pickup. The star and moon inlay is a nice touch, but doesn't need it. Not sure why a guitar needs that much p/g, but I guess if your gonna beat the hell out of it (and you know your not, your going to baby it and show it to your friends so they can drool) it comes in handy. And who doesn't want a big white cat on their guitar case? You will be able to tell your guitar apart from others with that. 

If I had 7.5k I'd go get a Preston Thomson 000 in hog and still have 1.5k, or in EIRW and have 1k in my pocket for strings.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

40 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

But you get stickers (I love stickers on cases), and pins, and a nice COA with a nice photo of Mr. Cat/Yusuf/ Georgiou playing an older one. Plus it already comes gig ready with that eye sore pickup. The star and moon inlay is a nice touch, but doesn't need it. Not sure why a guitar needs that much p/g, but I guess if your gonna beat the hell out of it (and you know your not, your going to baby it and show it to your friends so they can drool) it comes in hand. And who doesn't want a big white cat on their guitar case? You will be able to tell your guitar apart from others with that. 

If I had 7.5k I'd go get a Preston Thomson 000 in hog and still have 1.5k, or in EIRW and have 1k in my pocket for strings.

Don't get me wrong.  I do love swag especially the kind I can slap on a guitar case.

But the scenario I came up with is I would be restricted to spending the loot on a Bozeman-made guitar,  What that might be I do not have clue as I have nothing on my radar.  But with that much cash stuffed in my pocket it sure would be a fun hunt.

Edited by zombywoof

22 minutes ago, slimt said:

I kind of see as.   Why would you want someone elses name on your guitar?   

So you can pay $7500 for it. Why else, and give it to Gibson willingly.

But remember anyone who has a Les Paul, has someone else's name on their guitar. 

I think Gibson is someone else's name too. Its not mine.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So you can pay $7500 for it. Why else, and give it to Gibson willingly.

But remember anyone who has a Les Paul, has someone else's name on their guitar. 

I think Gibson is someone else's name too. Its not mine.

A inventor that  put Gibson pretty much on the  map with a strong following , seems like the right thing. 

a Entertainer  , well not so much  

Just now, slimt said:

A inventor that  put Gibson pretty much on the  map with a strong following , seems like the right thing. 

a Entertainer  , well not so much  

I know, I was pulling your leg. All mine have some CF dudes name one them.

6 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I saw this come through in an email and figured the resident Cat Stevens / Yusef expert would be all over it. Leanard McCoy, are you getting one?  🙂 

I know lots of folks were leery of baked tops on Maple B&S. I can say that the thermally aged Sitka does very well with the Maple B&S on my Artist Series Frank Hannon Love Dove. Hopefully it works out well for folks with this rather pricey J-180.

Probably not, as there are no lefties being made.

Limited to only 50 units globally, the guitar is actually a steal for the price. Its value will only skyrocket in price on the secondary market.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

18 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Probably not, as there are no lefties being made.

Limited to only 50 units globally, the guitar is actually a steal for the price. Its value will only skyrocket in price on the secondary market.

The steal you refer to is by Gibson, not the purchasers.

This "limited edition" business that promises the value of the  scarce units will increase is the same silliness pushed by outfits like The Franklin Mint for the various chazerai that they push.

I just finished building a classical guitar from a kit. It's the Solo Music Gear RBSinTo Special Edition. Only one in existence. I'm asking $1,200,000.00 for it.

At that price it's a steal. 

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

The steal you refer to is by Gibson, not the purchasers.

This "limited edition" business that promises the value of the  scarce units will increase is the same silliness pushed by outfits like The Franklin Mint for the various chazerai that they push.

I just finished building a classical guitar from a kit. It's the Solo Music Gear RBSinTo Special Edition. Only one in existence. I'm asking $1,200,000.00 for it.

At that price it's a steal. 

RBSinTo

If yours is not coming with some type of animal silhouette on the guitar case, and if it doesn't have a blue glitter sparkle finish on it, I want to cancel our deal of $1,200,000.00. Not sure if that was CDN or US. 

If its a "steal", and we know it isn't, at $7500 then what will it be referred to on the after market? I'll go with the word - sodomy. If I were you guys I would put a call in and complaint to Gibson that they are being Handist, as they are only making righthand models of the Cat guitar. 

Seriously what needs to be done? The bridge and nut has to be reversed and its a lefty? Non of Gibson's tooling can do that?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If yours is not coming with some type of animal silhouette on the guitar case, and if it doesn't have a blue glitter sparkle finish on it, I want to cancel our deal of $1,200,000.00. Not sure if that was CDN or US. 

If its a "steal", and we know it isn't, at $7500 then what will it be referred to on the after market? I'll go with the word - sodomy. If I were you guys I would put a call in and complaint to Gibson that they are being Handist, as they are only making righthand models of the Cat guitar. 

Seriously what needs to be done? The bridge and nut has to be reversed and its a lefty? Non of Gibson's tooling can do that?

Chief,

The case has the silouette of a Dung Beetle, complete with ball of dung on it , and the guitar's finish, as you requested has been changed by careful application of three coats of Krylon gloss blue spray paint and sprinkled with genuine imitation silver glitter as it dried. And the price quoted was in USD., taxes and shipping extra, of course.

It's a steal!!!!

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

The case has the silouette of a Dung Beetle, complete with ball of dung on it , and the guitar's finish, as you requested has been changed by careful application of three coats of Krylon gloss blue spray paint and sprinkled with genuine imitation silver glitter as it dried. And the price quoted was in USD., taxes and shipping extra, of course.

It's a steal!!!!

RBSinTo

Send me your address and leave the keys under the mat and it will be a steal.

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

You'd have to REALLY like Cat Steven's to go $7.5K on something that fugly.

Not really. You just have to have a profession that affords you the money to buy such a "steal", in the hopes you can price gouge the next guy on the used market to turn a profit. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1